What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Shouldn't be long you may even have it by Friday. I ordered my Kronos S2 on 12/31 after hours and Stan had it to me by 1/5 with a holiday and weekend mixed in there. 2-Day priority shipping.

That's awesome - thanks Brent! Now it's the frantic wait like a little kid at Christmas, lol.

I debated between the M1 and R1 so we'll see how it feels. Never had an OC so no clue on that. Perhaps I'll order a 2nd plate eventually.

I'm an open-comb guy -- Fatip and the H2 being my go-to razors -- but I have to say that that the H1 straight-bar vies for top honors; it's exceptionally smooth for a close-to-R41-aggressive razor. I always use both the H1 and H2 with the oversize/overweight Maggard MR8 stainless handle (photo/link below). So configured, the razors weigh in at 150g or more, but the shaves are absolutely first-rate. If any razor will teach you "no pressure", it's 150g worth of H2! I'm addicted to this configuration. It's developed muscles I never knew I had, and it's made a huge difference in my shaving technique. It may sound counterintuitive, but I rarely draw blood with an MR8-equipped H1 or H2.

Took a chance and ordered a MR3 razor for the handle and a MR8 handle to experience the difference heavier handles make with the A.T.T. system. Can't wait to pair them together! Thanks for posting up the picture and link.

I've had two shaves so far since the M1 Kronos arrived yesterday. Very close and smooth shave. I definitely like the audio feedback as the hairs cut. The weight and feel of the Kronos is just right.

proxy.php

Took a chance and ordered a MR3 razor for the handle and a MR8 handle to experience the difference heavier handles make with the A.T.T. system. Can't wait to pair them together! Thanks for posting up the picture and link.

How's it working out? Inquiring minds....

Yep. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy I have to say that of all the razors I've tried so far my ATTs are closest to perfection for me.

I'm new to all this, so only have had a 34c and my '55 Super Speed. My going ATT was based on reading hundreds of posts on them. I went in blind when making the order, but when it arrived and upon inspection all you can say is WOW. Anyone having any doubts or concerns as to the incredible quality and precision in these fine tools need have no fear. This is a quality that is rarely seen today. This is the Rolls Royce of shaving implements.

I am a month in to using ATT razors. I started with a 5-piece M2, R1, R2 Atlas. The R2 was too aggressive for me so I swapped it for a M1 and at the same time upgraded to a 7-Piece and got the Kronos handle. This week was my first with the R1 and it is borderline too aggressive for me. I shave 5 days/week, Mon-Thurs and Sunday. Right now I am leaning toward the M2 for when I have 2 days of growth or more and the M1 for my day-to-day. I am still testing the R1 but I get the slightest bit of irritation on my clean-up pass. Not horrible but enough to be annoying.

I too would highly recommend ATT. I think Stan needs to change his company name to Stan the Man's Superior Razor Emporium. Top notch hardware and customer service/support that matches.

How's it working out? Inquiring minds....

It's an on going experiment........

To compare the A.T.T. Atlas handle to the Maggard handles, there is a difference. Overall, the Atlas handle is more refined, without any imperfections visually. The Maggard handles are not quite as nicely finished. That said, the knurling does it's job. I haven't had any problems with slippage.

I decided to give the Maggard handles a try because I love the length of the Atlas, but was curious to see what was out there that was close in length but in a heavier weight. The Maggard's seemed to be a relatively inexpensive option and the additional weight was what I was after, so for me it's very easy to overlook a lesser level of quality control. The head (business end) is still 100% A.T.T.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's the handle weights with the head adding an additional 38 grams.

A.T.T. Atlas handle 3" long - 56 grams. With head 94 grams.
Maggard MR3 Thick Stainless Steel Handle 3" long - 98 grams. With head 136 grams.
Maggard MR8 Stainless Steel Handle - 90 mm long - 150 grams. With head 188 grams. This handle is closer to the length of the Kronus I'm guessing, but I just had to try this heavyweight!

I haven't settled on a preferred combination yet. Right now I have a R plate using the MR3. In time, I'll use the M and H on both Maggard handles too.

I will say that having the option of considerable weight differences really brings the head to life. Must keep telling myself to just let the weight of the razor do all the work.

If you like the shorter handled Atlas, I'd highly encourage anyone out there to give these a try, as it just adds a whole other dimension to the A.T.T. heads.

It's an on going experiment...
... If you like the shorter handled Atlas, I'd highly encourage anyone out there to give these a try, as it just adds a whole other dimension to the A.T.T. heads.
The same applies to the Colossus. I had thought that I had moved away from longer handles. Then I got a Colossus for Christmas. It's pretty damned awesome.

...To compare the A.T.T. Atlas handle to the Maggard handles, there is a difference. Overall, the Atlas handle is more refined, without any imperfections visually. The Maggard handles are not quite as nicely finished. That said, the knurling does it's job. I haven't had any problems with slippage. ...

proxy.php

I will say that having the option of considerable weight differences really brings the head to life. Must keep telling myself to just let the weight of the razor do all the work.

If you like the shorter handled Atlas, I'd highly encourage anyone out there to give these a try, as it just adds a whole other dimension to the A.T.T. heads.

+100 on the highlighted phrase. The extra heft and thickness of the MR8 was a revelation for me. On the matter of refinement, the ATT handles are clearly in a class by themselves. I've said this before and I'll say it again: If Stan made an ATT handle in the MR8's dimensions and weight, I'd pay a premium for it. On the other hand, the Maggard handles provide excellent value for the money.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more! I'd have probably spent the money with Stan if he had the option, just because he puts out such a top shelf, flawless product. On the other hand, as you said, Maggard handles do provide most excellent value for the money. Now I may have to think about getting another top cap...........

For anyone who has returned an ATT razor or component for an exchange by Stan, about how long did it take between the time your item was delivered and you received the replacement? TIA.

For anyone who has returned an ATT razor or component for an exchange by Stan, about how long did it take between the time your item was delivered and you received the replacement? TIA.

I've did an exchange a 2x's in the past and generally once received it takes about a full week or so to come back... so at least a week as it comes back first class if I think. As long as you know he's received it (via tracking) that's then the return window count down starts.

I've did an exchange a 2x's in the past and generally once received it takes about a full week or so to come back... so at least a week as it comes back first class if I think. As long as you know he's received it (via tracking) that's then the return window count down starts.
Thank you, sir!

This is similar to my experience. Stan is a good guy with great customer service.

Top Bottom