What's new

About those Carries of the Day ...

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Just a gentle observation. I noticed that a few of the gents here practice what can be described as a rotating handgun carry. There is even a running thread that showcases and encourages it. Very pretty guns, very pretty rigs.

We are all proud of our collections. There is nothing wrong with that. You should be. We're lucky to have that pleasure.

This is more of an enthusiasts' forum. I'm not here to ruffle any established feathers in the clubhouse. So I'll pose the observation more socraticly to those that wear one rig on a Monday morning, another Friday night, and yet another on Sunday afternoon ...

... a newer pocket subcompact one day, a shoulder harness full-size the next:

What is your reason for carrying what you carry on any given day? What is its purpose? Why are you changing it?

Have you contemplated -- and genuinely addressed -- the ramifications of changing that carry
?

Is your carry selection for the day, this day, or the next, one you are reflexively familiar with?

Or is it one selected for the occasion, or the season? Or is it merely a fashion statement? Your old S&W that you wear to the field site bulges through your dinner jacket, but your new 365 doesn't. So you wear the latter that evening into town, to hide a bulge?

One question means so much more than the others. So much so that it should be dispositive.

Be honest about it, at least to yourself.

Very few ever face an actual threat encounter. Unlike a tactical event, you do not choose the time and place for a defensive one. They come with little or no warning. You will be shocked that your reaction will be far more reflexive than you ever imagined or prepared for. Sometimes barely time to think, let alone react. The instant burned sorting out in your mind if it's the pocket J-frame that day, or the cross-draw .40 with the safety, or that cool new Glock in the IWB, could leave you with a switchblade or bullet in your belly. And your attacker potentially armed with your weapon. Not a great outcome. Please don't discount that picture. It's often a blurred instant or two. Adrenaline may rule the moment, whether you like it or not. It will definitely drive your behavior once it's drawn. Things will happen reflexively, or they will not.

Reflexive familiarity. You better have it. With whatever you are carrying. And the fewer moving parts and variables to process, the better.

Perhaps it is different now. There was a reason years ago that agencies encouraged a uniform field issue, and it was not just to make the quartermaster's life easier. Familiarity breeds more than contempt. It takes a lot of time with a weapon to make it a reliably reflexive draw.

Just how familiar are you with that one you are carrying today? Why are you carrying it, or any firearm? And why are you really changing it from the one you wore yesterday, or last week? Even if you practice holster consistency, they all draw, handle, hold, bead and discharge a little differently.

I now enjoy carrying my pipe as much as anything else. I primarily lurk here. Unless something really excites me (like the guy with the .45 question a couple weeks ago), I leave the daily chatter to the others. But this particular practice rose me to comment. Rotating a carry. I'm not against it, per se. But be aware of what that demands. It demands a lot. If you're rotating, have you invested what it demands?

I know most here have a stable carry, day in and day out. This was for the others.

No lecture intended, no snark meant. In any event, I'm done. Back to lurking from the patio. My stogie and beer awaits.

It's just a passing thought to consider, before you sling that next pretty rig on for the day to show off to the guys on the Internet ...

As a non-firearms owner (I would never be legally allowed to carry, anyway, given my residency), this post makes a LOT of sense to me. I will be watching with interest.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Due to an injury my daily carry, two crutches & a walking boot, hasn’t changed in four weeks & probably won’t for at least another five ... got both, muscle memory & manual of arms down to a fine science 😬

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
proxy.php

Basically, I carry what strikes my fancy on that particular day. I fully understand that the manual of arms for each one will be different but I also understand that a human is a multi-purpose, multi-function adaptable tool. And each of the tools are ones that I am familiar with, experienced with and have practiced with.

For the most part, the differences in the manual of arms seems to be overstated, particularly over the internet. In addition, the likely issues concerning different manuals of arm are most likely during some extended use incident.

In revolvers the biggest issue is most likely push to open frame versus pull to open frame. The fact that one cylinder rotates discwise while the other rotates widdershins is of academic interest but not really a functional issue.

In semi-automatics there is an issue of safety down for fire mode versus safety up for fire mode on SOME guns. But even that is somewhat limited and restricted to the Single Action models. Like the cylinder latch issue above magazine release can become an issue during some extended engagement.

Where a handgun is carried is really determined by the weather and the unique environment at the time. If I'm going to be in a car then the shoulder holster is my primary choice with a paddle holster as a less attractive alternative. The reasoning is simple; access. That does not mean that there might not be one of my small pistols in a pocket as well. If I will be mostly walking around then an OWB rig is most often my preferred choice. Again, that does not preclude the little micro in the pocket.

But the biggest reason is general risk assessment. Any violent encounter is quite frankly an astronomically small risk. I would be far more threatened by a cigar, pipe or cigarette; either mine or someone else's.

No lecture intended, no snark meant.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Great post @Columbo! Well put. I agree totally, but I am certainly guilty of switching up CCW arms. But in my defense, I usually limit my carry to either striker fired semiautos or DA revolvers, all carried at the 3:30 to 4:00 position IWB. Very similar manual of arms, but your point is well taken.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It may be a gentle observation but its also a very astute one.

I'm in Canada and dont have a job that allows me to carry a handgun but the point of reflexively familiar hit home for me. Its why I usually miss fast moving targets with a rifle. I learned to shoot and shot 95% of the time in the field with a shotgun. When confronted with a suddenly appearing and fast moving target I shoot in front of it with a rifle because my shotgun reflex has taken over.

Thats something difficult to overcome too. In a life or death situation its enough to make a difference in the outcome.

Ok, I'll play.

I own a few pistols but have only one EDC at a time. I have gone through a few EDC pistols and for the past year have been on a Sig 365 XL carried IWB, in the same position all the time. On really cold winter days where I am wearing multiple layers, I may supplement the EDC with my old Kahr PM9 carried in a coat pocket (in a pocket holster).

One of the reasons I gave up on the Kahr is that I, being a lefty, trained myself to slingshot the slide rather than use the slide release. I got tired of stove pipes in the Kahr when I forgot not to slingshot it per the Kahr manual of arms. My primary home pistol for the past 3 years is a Sig P320. I usually go to the range about once a month or every other month and shoot both the EDC and house gun as well as my AR (less over the past few months because I don't want to use up my ammo supply). At the range, I do practical exercises like Bill Drills and Dot Torture. I practice presenting from my holster and dry firing at least once a week.

I own quite a few guns for the same reason I own quite a few razors; I have always been on a hunt for the "best for me". With razors, I ended up settling on a Gillette Fat Boy and Red Personas. I still own 5 other razors simply because I am a pack rat, but I only use one. Same with guns. I have gone through a number of pistols and long guns in the past 30 years looking for the "best for me" hunting and defense guns. I have seen many improvements and have made new acquisitions to try the improvements, but have never sold one of the guns that was removed from regular service. All my old guns are now safe queens.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
60-ish seems to be the number for me. I have at least 60+ pipes, 60+ guns and probably close to 60 (+/-) razors, but I only use about 4 of the later regularly! ( I keep a Slim and an Injector each in both bathrooms).

I don’t have that many, but the ones I might switch to are all in the same family and size. I train with predominantly one and carry predominantly with it.

They are all striker fired without safeties. Their grips and trigger pulls are all too similar. If I were blindfolded on the range(imagine that), I would have to pause to see if I could tell which one I had in my hands.

Obviously, there are situations where my 4” guns are too big when maximum conceal-ability is desired. Then an ankle holster or pocket gun fill the need. At that, their all striker fired and have no safeties and controls are the same.

I wouldn’t switch between my Colt 1911 or Kimber and my striker fired guns. The prior are now range toys. I wouldn’t carry my revolvers, mainly because they’re huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
This is more of an enthusiasts' forum.

Great thread and topic for discussion @Columbo. It's my hope that you feel welcome to respond more and lurk less. You have great logic and articulate sense making abilities for the points you make and the topics you become apart of. That's what makes this sub-forum a special place. And because I can't think of a member who regularly participates in this sub-forum, who doesn't have; and always shows, these exact same gifts and qualities of knowledge and experience in which they speak.

And it's because of the above bolded that I typed, gives me the "one flaw" that I perceive, from your excellent post sir, with absolutely "no flawed logic" on any of the points you made. They all made, "perfect sense."

However, while non of your logic, experience or wisdom, can or could be considered "flawed." My question to you sir is, could you possibly be, underestimating the definition for a gun "enthusiast?"

There are plenty of gun owners who, collect fine guns that can be defined as "enthusiasts". I personally know a few, who own and have extensive knowledge of the operations and history of a wide span of firearms. And they don't even carry a daily weapon for protection.

There are millions of daily CCW holders, who carry everyday. I know many of them who, other than the weapon they carry don't know anything about firearms and cannot be considered, "enthusiasts." I know some people who even EDC and don't know anything about what they are carrying, or, they only own one gun for protection and keep it in their closet 99% of the time. They cannot be considered "enthusiasts."

And like you, I am not looking to rock any boats or argue against any point you made, because they all were logical and reasonable sound points. However, This thread you created brings up several things we need to consider, OTHER then the great logical points you made of needing to carry the exact same arms everyday.

I might and would suggest, there are MANY people your wonderful points, would and should definitely speak too. And in this specific place, the people who your logic speaks too, probably already carry only one gun, or if they do carry more than one, they all most likely, have the same manual of arms and operational familiarity.

Let's take me personally as an example. I probably fall into the categories of most of your points. While I am a huge gun enthusiast and love all manner of firearms, I carry multiple firearms on the daily, depending on what I am wearing, what I am doing and select the mode of operations I will be performing that day, regardless of being on duty or off duty. However, while this incorporates mostly, 3 different firearms, those firearms are all Glock's with the exact same manual of arms.

Once I do retire, Because I am an "Enthusiast" I will be be learning, training and incorporating the tools to be as instinctive as I can be, to also carry a revolver and a 1911 at times. Alot of times, If I'm off work and up in the wee hours of the morning, watching a movie or something, I will hop in the truck, wearing only my pajamas and a pair of flip flops.

I don't want to get dressed for a 10 minute trip to 7-11 for an icee and a bag of cheetos. So I will sneak my wifes Ruger LCP II out of her purse while she is sleeping and throw it into the pocket of my "sponge bob square pants" pajama bottoms and head out to the store. It's a pull and shoot proposition, as most brand and types of carry weapons are, "regardless of the manual of arms."

I hope it's ok if I use another member here as an example. @Acmemfg carries many different types of weapons and holsters on any given day for any particular reason. However, while I could mention his 30 years of law enforcement, much of that as the lead weapons instructor of his agency, I don't think that is what would qualify to carry many different type of arms.

Why? Because LE instructors, we don't teach and train all kinds of weapons and calibers and different manual of arms to officers. It's usually the same type of weapons day in and day out. What qualifies him to carry those different systems, is because the very fact that he is an "Enthusiast." But I know for a fact, he is the "type of enthusiast" that loves firearms and the tactics for the use of said firearms, he has committed his whole life to the knowledge, use and training of such.

Guys like us search for perfection in all manner and use of every type of firearm we happen to have taken the fancy to own and acquire. It's probably, why we like to hang out here? Because we seek out those who are of the same likeness and of the same mind to have camaraderie with.

Loved your OP. It is very on point and highly applicable for some. But this place isn't your ordinary place and many here are not your "typical firearms owners." No sir, not at all. but instead, there are many here, who are highly versed and attuned in the way of firearms and tactics with all manner of manual of arms.

Why are they not typical? Because they are in fact, Enthusiasts. :)

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I’ve been a firearms instructor for more than 20 years. I have 1 duty weapon and 1 off-duty weapon. I have 1 hunting rifle and 1 shotgun.

Top Bottom