What's new

About the best shaving brush

I've been on the road to shaving brushes, and I can't stop.

But now I want to clean up some shaving brushes. I'm going to sell some I'm not satisfied with and buy some new ones.

I'm interested to know what you think of shaving brushes. In your mind, which brushes are worth having for a long time?

Oh boy, where to start. Morris & Forndran, Simpson, Thäter, Shavemac, Paladin, etc. There are so many premium brushes out there that I didn’t even mention. I used to be a big Rooney guy back in the day. But I haven’t even seen them in stock anywhere. the ones that I mentioned I’ve owned and used plus there many great brush that I haven’t tried like Savile Row that many like. I’m amazed at some of the members who have such a huge collection of brushes. I’ve only kept the rotation of five brushes in my collection and have Sold and bought to replace that rotation throughout the years. Hope this helps in someway. I think the brushes that I mentioned that you really can’t go wrong if you go either one of those directions. Or all.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Keep what you reach for. In other words keep what pleases you. If the keepers are high dollar that`s fine if not doesn't matter.

^^ This, for me its very much a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" thing, for example while I do like my pricier brushes, my whipped dog is my favourite, and the one I would keep.

I've been on the road to shaving brushes, and I can't stop.

But now I want to clean up some shaving brushes. I'm going to sell some I'm not satisfied with and buy some new ones.

I'm interested to know what you think of shaving brushes. In your mind, which brushes are worth having for a long time?

What do YOU like right now?

For me I love vintage refurbs with new knots. I've found a supplier (Shave Forge) that I really like and most of my knots now come from them. My two go to knots are a 2-band badger or the mixed badger/boar.

I also have a couple of TGN (mostly my smaller 18mm knots) and a Maggards high density.

I tried a Thater and it was nice but didn't think the price/value was any better than some of the better knots I had purchased. I also tried a rather expensive high mountain white knot that I thought I would love and could tell was quality but it was TOO soft for me - I like just a hint of scritch which is why the 2-band is my favorite knot.

Then I find handles that I like - mostly by shape or style. I bought several lots and ended up with 60 that I restored. Not gonna lie - didn't really break even but it was a fun experience that taught me new skills and helped me dial in what kind of handles I like.

I now have 23 brushes in my collection and they range in size and shape.

I'd say my favorites are:

Modern: Stirling Badger with the white handle with green lines (all time favorite handle shape)

PXL_20210324_114801305.jpg

Vintage:

Rubberset Travel Brush (TGN knot)
PXL_20210324_114854372.jpg

Rubberset 400 (Maggard high density knot) - this was early on in my learning process - I think I will go over it again and make it REALLY shine and get rid of the spots now that I know how
PXL_20210324_114902875.jpg

Rubberset 500 - I just LOVE the shape of this one (Ever Ready has some cool shaped handles too, I have an 000 that I really like and one day I'll find one of their stepped handles)
PXL_20210324_114837564.jpg

Sentimental Favorites - two old Solid Set wooden handles stripped to bare wood and designed/painted by my daughters. These are priceless.
PXL_20210324_114827371.jpg

I also just sent out a package of wood blocks to a B&Ber who does amazing handles and he is going to turn me two handles - from wood at the camp I have worked at for the past 6 years but will be leaving in May to move to Canada.

I'm not sure what I'd call the "best" shaving brush...there're just so many variables, pinning down just one is hard. I guess a Simpson Chubby (CH2 or CH1 depending on whether or not you like big brushes) is such a classic I feel like everyone should try it eventually, but they are a bit on the expensive side. The Jade Omega from Connaught (aka the 011842) is one of the best boars out there, if you're into boar. Really, like @old_school said, it really comes down to what you like...you might find yourself chasing $$$ silvertips or Manchurians, or you might find that your favorite brushes are inexpensive boars or synthetics. Or you might end up somewhere in the middle. A keeper is what works for you, not the other way around.

Simpson Brushes are my favorite and are world class IMO.

I went a little nutty buying brushes in the last year and I will be selling a bunch of my less expensive brushes soon. I will be keeping a bunch of Simpsons, a few Spiffos and one each of Shavemac, Kent, Thater, Zenith and Paladin.

If I did it again, I would just buy the absolute best I could afford right off the bat. The Amazon/Alrossa Simpsons as one example. I have too many $10-20 synthetic and boar brushes that I have accumulated that will get almost no use moving forward.

Last edited:
Rooney Finest (Unobtanium best brush. No two band I've ever touched came anywhere NEAR this in density... it's as dense as an ultra-dense three band)
Maggard/APShaveCo/Oumo 70/30 Mixed Boar&Badger (Over half of my collection is made of these knots... use them 80%+ of my shaves)... IMHO very similar in function and feel to the Rooney Finest, without as much density.
Semogue Mistura (Was my second favorite brush until I started getting the 70/30's above, still a very close 3rd)
Simpson Best (Chubby, Duke, Eagle are my favs, it varies depending on the model, era and batch of hair, but once you find one you like, you'll keep it.)
Shavemac D01 2band (Closest sub I've found in 2 band for the Rooney Finest)
Zenith Short and stubby Boar (My favorite boar... handle kinda meh (painted light wood) and occasional shedder... but it works great)
Most Semogue boars (None are quite the latherer of the Zenith, but most are good and handles are better).
Omega B&B Boars (On par with a good Semogue... which in my experience is an exception for Omega)

Haven't tried Simpson Manchurian that I remember, but I think I'd like it.

I'm sure I'm forgetting several, but those are my current go to's. I've left out a few because of unavailability/etc (Some unique vintages, 10+ yr old M&F Blondes).

The “Best Brush” I own is the one in my hand when I am face lathering. I’ve got nice Boars, Synthetics, and Badgers. Each brush is different and learning the brushes “personality” is one of the joys of traditional wet shaving.
If you buy a reputable brand (Yaqi, PAA, Semogue, Omega, Simpson, Paladin, Shavemac, Thayer or many more brands you can always sell the brushes that don’t work for you. Pick a couple and get to know them. Then keep the ones that bring a smile to your face, sell the others, and repeat as often as you like.

Reactions: bjm
Top Bottom