What's new

About ready to trade the Coti in for synths...

Well my coti is on the way so I have to buckle down and get through this whole thread and start absorbing the info. It's good to have a virtual "how to" guide on them available here.

Well my coti is on the way so I have to buckle down and get through this whole thread and start absorbing the info. It's good to have a virtual "how to" guide on them available here.

Don't forget to read the wealth of information at coticule.be.

I have spent a fair about of time on that site already trying to gather up as much info as I could about the stones themselves and whatnot. I just have to spend a bit more time with the sharpening section. I got my Coti through Jarrod and after asking him a few questions I settled on the 2x6 in the Norton case with the slurry stone.

I read a tip from Bart that helped me a good bit and I thought it belonged in this thread:

This is assuming of course that you use the HHT.

When doing Dilucot, you should be getting at least a HHT1(violin) off of the dilution phase before moving to just water.

I wasn't spending enough time doing dilutions and was moving to just water too quickly. After using this tip I got the best edge off of my coticule that I have gotten so far.

Gary sent me a razor that he honed on his La Dressante au Bleu and I have to say, this stone leaves a much brisker edge than my La Grosse Blanche I've been using so far.

It has also confirmed that I'm pretty much there in terms of edge keenness. I'm not sure if I'm happy about that or not. Gary's is a tad sharper, and consistent the whole length (when compared to some of mine) but part of me was hoping it'd be WAY sharper and WAY smoother. heh

Thanks for the loaner and confirmation Gary. I will play around with it some, see if I can recreate the same edge with my LDaB, and then refinish on the LGB and see how they compare.

Gary sent me a razor that he honed on his La Dressante au Bleu and I have to say, this stone leaves a much brisker edge than my La Grosse Blanche I've been using so far.

It has also confirmed that I'm pretty much there in terms of edge keenness. I'm not sure if I'm happy about that or not. Gary's is a tad sharper, and consistent the whole length (when compared to some of mine) but part of me was hoping it'd be WAY sharper and WAY smoother. heh

Thanks for the loaner and confirmation Gary. I will play around with it some, see if I can recreate the same edge with my LDaB, and then refinish on the LGB and see how they compare.

Are you getting bad shaves off the coti's?

Very nice of Gary to do that. I'm also expecting three razors from Bart himself. I can't wait to see how my own honing compares to his. I'm sure I'll be blown away by the difference.

the razor was honed on the La drassante, not the la drassante au blue. I have two the au blue is a combo and the la drassante is not. your quite right the drassante does leave a bisk edge . If you check the vault out you will see bart rates the la drassnate as brisk.

cheers gary

criss have aplay around with the razor . Send it back honed and i will give it a run. I'm sure your more than likely there . then i can tell you how it shaves.
Its quite an easy razor to hone there is a slight smile. Only slight.

gary

Are you getting bad shaves off the coti's?

Nope. The shaves are fine, just not as close as I'd like. I wasn't sure if it was due to not quite being there with the sharpness (even tho ATG passes are just fine). Still takes 3+ passes to get even close to DFS...

I suspect my technique is whats in the way now. I think I keep the angle too steep and scrape, sometimes I get it just right and it glides and you can almost feel the bevel face suction onto the skin like on the hone... but those are only moments of clarity. heh

the razor was honed on the La drassante, not the la drassante au blue. I have two the au blue is a combo and the la drassante is not. your quite right the drassante does leave a bisk edge . If you check the vault out you will see bart rates the la drassnate as brisk.

cheers gary

Would the 2 Dressantes be the same, and the only difference is one is a combo?

Nope. The shaves are fine, just not as close as I'd like. I wasn't sure if it was due to not quite being there with the sharpness (even tho ATG passes are just fine). Still takes 3+ passes to get even close to DFS...

I suspect my technique is whats in the way now. I think I keep the angle too steep and scrape, sometimes I get it just right and it glides and you can almost feel the bevel face suction onto the skin like on the hone... but those are only moments of clarity. heh

I think you hit it, especially with what you've said about angle. By the way, have you seen the video of Gary shaving Mr Liam?

I like your posts, because you openly admit the difficulties you have without sounding apologetic or in denial. That's not an easy skill, although one of the most undervalued parts about learning. I think that's a big part of what has helped others help you (and has allowed this great thread to help others). :thumbup1:

Would the 2 Dressantes be the same, and the only difference is one is a combo?

They are differant. My la drassante is very fast on slurry well fairly fast . It is also desent on water. my la drassante au blue is mderate on slurry water i'd say slower. in terms of speed with slurry my la drassante is much quiker..

if your angle while sahving gets a little steep you will feel the razor is not as comfortable. ie scrapie or even a slight drag. ATG i find the angle has to be more or less flat. i would say keep your angle low and raize if you feel the need or lower if your get draging. Across my lip i use a very low angle also .

gary

Yeah my ATG passes have gotten much more comfortable as I got better at honing, and also started getting flatter and flatter with it. Now I don't get the red dot pin ***** mustache. :)

I'm trying to keep the angle low, it just feels more natural to keep it steeper. Perhaps I need to go unicot in order to change the bevel angle to something closer to my natural holding angle? ;)

Yeah my ATG passes have gotten much more comfortable as I got better at honing, and also started getting flatter and flatter with it. Now I don't get the red dot pin ***** mustache. :)

I'm trying to keep the angle low, it just feels more natural to keep it steeper. Perhaps I need to go unicot in order to change the bevel angle to something closer to my natural holding angle? ;)

not realy unicot will be the same. Go by feel you carn't go wrong . watch my video it may help.

gary

Found the video, very enlightening. Is that the same razor that you sent me? heh. I am fairly certain I don't do nearly enough skin stretching... it doesn't seem to be that pliable. Perhaps I'm dehydrated.

Found the video, very enlightening. Is that the same razor that you sent me? heh. I am fairly certain I don't do nearly enough skin stretching... it doesn't seem to be that pliable. Perhaps I'm dehydrated.

Hey Chris would you mind posting a link of that video here? Can't seem to find it.

I myself have gotten some smooth shaves, but as you are too I am having trouble with keeness. Which seems to be common and something that comes with practice and experience. We'll get there soon. I for one like the smoothness over sharpness, but then again I don't have a very thick beard.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom