What's new

A thread that isn't really about "Opinions on Arko Scent"

The Arko scent has never appealed to me but these posts have me interested. I'm ready to stick a clothespin on my nose and try it.

When Good Will Hunting came out in 1997 I was working at a wealthy independent prep school in Palm Beach County, Florida. The students were all asking if I had seen the film, and I said yes, I had seen it, and that the street I grew up on appears on screen twice in the movie. These rich kids couldn't believe it. "THAT'S where you grew up?" they asked, almost incredulously. "Yep," I answered. They said "Is that really what it's like there?" I replied "Well, with the exception of the genius, they pretty much nailed it. We didn't have any geniuses." So even though Will worked at MIT, if @GNR worked at Harvard, perhaps he was the inspiration for Will Hunting's character?
Definitely not the inspiration. I worked right in Harvard Square in an office above Au Bon Pain.
I lived on the tri-corner of East Broadway, West Broadway, and Dorchester in Southie.

I used to pass the park that’s in the little league scene when running to City Island.

We used to sit on our building’s roof drinking beer and would look at Dorchester Heights or the harbor.

For those that don’t know: Dorchester Heights is where General Washington moved the cannons from Fort Ticonderoga, NY, which drove the British out of Boston and the harbor. I love all the history up that way.
Fun times!

I think they mean it smells like naphthalene used to rid stored clothes from moths which I don't get as much as they do. I also never bloom it, since the scents dissolve faster than the tallow and change the scent profile.

I find the smell of napthalene balls absolutely horrid! Can't stand them.

Luckily I don't get that from arko. All I get is a powdery lemon scent. The lemon may not be natural but it's pleasant.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Arko isn’t all that bad though there’s a lot of good natured fun to be had both promoting it and laughing at it. It lathers well and is cheap. It’s not particularly kind to drier skin types, but there’s always after shave.

The scent isn’t bad either once it’s aired out for a month or two. I keep a fresh stick or two under my deck in summer, it keeps the carpenter bees, feral cats and possums away. I think that humans are the only creatures on earth that can abide the scent, yuk yuk <- /H

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I don't get how arko scent could offend anyone.

The powdery lemon scent is fairly pleasant and not too strong.

It also doesn't irritate the skin at all.
Though @Owen Bawn would probably class me as a hater I do not hate Arko as a soap, it is a good performer, the problem for me is the smell.
Now I'm going to get all philosophical on you and say that it is very human trait to associate certain smells with certain places, people or activities. For instance the smell of Palmolive classic cream I associate with my father. The smell of stale sweat, chalk dust and rubber crash mats reminds me of climbing walls in my younger days.
Unfortunately for me from the time I was at school the Arko scent has been associated with the smell of public urinals since long before I had my first sniff of Arko. I know it's not Arkos fault, but that's just the scent Association for me.

Though @Owen Bawn would probably class me as a hater I do not hate Arko as a soap, it is a good performer, the problem for me is the smell.
Now I'm going to get all philosophical on you and say that it is very human trait to associate certain smells with certain places, people or activities. For instance the smell of Palmolive classic cream I associate with my father. The smell of stale sweat, chalk dust and rubber crash mats reminds me of climbing walls in my younger days.
Unfortunately for me from the time I was at school the Arko scent has been associated with the smell of public urinals since long before I had my first sniff of Arko. I know it's not Arkos fault, but that's just the scent Association for me.
I think it would help if Arko wasn't also used as urinal cakes. 😉

Now that's an astute observation. This thread was created in the hope of eliciting this kind of originality and creativity.
Just trying to be of assistance. 😁

Attachments

• 94B91902-1501-438F-AD0E-5BA1BBE79087.jpeg
    94B91902-1501-438F-AD0E-5BA1BBE79087.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You must have gone to school with the Christian Brothers.

It smells to me like how it would when they decide to select a cheap scent for a mass commercial shave soap which does the job well and sells well for its tremendous value for money. Why fix it if it ain't broken - even if a few handful of wet shaving enthusiasts on an internet forum in a far far away land think otherwise !

I dont like it in a stick format as it is super slick when wet, so I squash it down when its new in to a Williams bicentennial pewter mug. Its a bit drying but works quite well in my Straight Razor shaving adventures. Wonderful slick lather !

Last edited:
Top Bottom