Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Meh.

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Would rather bath in the Veg.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
I've been tempted to try a sandalwood shaving soap for years, even though I didn't know what sandalwood smelled like. That had me hesitant, but tonight, in a department store, I passed the incense and had an idea.

I found a small pack of sandalwood incense, held it under my nose, and smelled.

Oh, my, no. Just no. It turns out I have smelled sandalwood before, and hated it. Whether it was that or something else, my allergies started kicking in, and I ended up taking an antihistamine.

So much for sandalwood.

Obviously, I'm the odd man out here, since sandalwood can be found in so many shaving products. But really; I liked the Veg better than what I smelled tonight, and I'm not one of the chosen.

How does it stand with the rest of B&B? Like sandalwood or hate it?

I can take it or leave it. The first TOBS scent I bought was Sandalwood, but that was just because I hadn't had a chance to smell any of their other scents.

I bought some Proraso Red aftershave, in the hopes that it smelled anything like the soap.
It was my favourite aftershave until I got some Reuzel, so now they are tied for first place.
The next time I order some more soap it will include some TOBS Sandalwood cream.

It depends on the quality & strength. The old AOS Valobra made Sandalwood soap while great was just too damn strong. The Fine Acc. Sandalwood is to my nose the exact same scent, but dialed back to a far more tolerable level. The CRSW version is nice as well. However, everyone and their brother have their version of Sandalwood which is almost always different. Regardless, always get a sample if possible before a tub/puck buy.

Depends on the sandalwood. Sandalwood EO is freaking expensive, so most sandalwood products are scented with synthetic fragrance oils, and there's a fair amount of variation between different sandalwood scents. (Though I've heard there's a lot of variation between sandalwood EOs, too.) I don't really care for TOBS sandalwood (too sweet a scent, as I recall) and I wasn't a huge fan of GFT sandalwood, but AoS sandalwood is one of my all-time favorite soap scents (pity their soaps aren't what they used to be).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I got a bunch this winter. My favorite hands down is wsp version. Its dark and woodsy not sweet.

It really depends for me. On the one hand, my now discontinued C&E sandalwood is one of my most favorite sents spicy and woodsy with a little smoke as well.

On the other hand the proraso "sandalwood" smells like a moldy basement....I can't figure out why it smells so bad, just reeks of mildew.

I am a big Sandalwood fan. But it needs to be fairly authentic and woody.

Taylor of Old bond Street SW, to me, smells like truckstop hand soap detergent. And I found it very difficult to discern any sandalwood scent in there at all.

I like Proraso red, and the tallow version of AOS sandalwood from a while back. And maybe my favorite to date is Fine accoutrements Santal Absolut.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Perhaps it was the incense part that didn’t jive with you? Incense is probably more polarizing than sandalwood.

AOS Sandalwood is one of my favorite scents.

I love sandalwood. Its got a nice, woodsy scent to it and as someone who is a Buddhist, it reminds me of being in a Zen temple (because they often burn Sandalwood incense).
To me, its a very soothing scent that invites me into self-reflection and contemplation.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Perhaps it was the incense part that didn’t jive with you? Incense is probably more polarizing than sandalwood.

AOS Sandalwood is one of my favorite scents.

I'm lucky to have both the AoS sandalwood soap - old and new - and the sandalwood oil, too. Gifts from a few years ago.

AA

I like the TOBS sandalwood, and the one from Truefitt & Hill.
Every brand's sandalwood is different.

Lilac Vegetal is also a great fresh lilac fragrance.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Love sandalwood. Reminds me of a woman I dated in my 20’s who was in her 30’s. She used sandalwood bath soap and body lotion. She smelled incredible. Remember the movie Youngblood? It was like having ‘tea with Miss McGill’. More please!

I can take it or leave it. I had gotten sandalwood in some samples from different vendors a few years back, but never ordered any full size. I also picked up a full line of Cremo creams at Target not so long ago. The bourbon scent got thrown away after one use. Sandalwood in still on the shelf, but sees limited use. The cooling mint is a go to when I don’t want to take the time with a brush.

There are various types of sandalwood, so you might find one you like better.

However, if you really don’t like sandalwood, then there so many other great options!

Well, seems if you don't know of a scent to get someone, Sandalwood is a fairly safe assumption, but not 100%, but I don't think any scent would be 100%.

You can’t compare the two, shave sandalwood is way different. If you want to get into the sandalwoods in all seriousness try the proraso red soap, the container not the tube. The red aftershave and you will be set. It’s a rich and almost buttery scent. People say AOS is a great sandalwood. I was at the store and smelt it, absolute rubbish. TOBS might be for you, but in all seriousness give Proraso red a shot! I really think you’ll like it. You’d be hard pressed here to find many members that hate it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I really enjoy using TOBS sandal wood soap, I also use Proraso red (sandal wood lotion) A.S. and it is great and leaves my skin hydrated and the fragrance seems to last and is pleasant also.

Top Bottom