What's new

A pretty special (to me) shave.

So today's SOTD is something I felt the need to start a new thread for. I guess I just need to toot my own horn a little.

Today, Gentlemen, I am 40.

IMG_0678.JPG

On the morning of my 40th, I selected my kit to pamper myself a little;

-I did not shave yesterday, so the whiskers were quite heaftier than usual. I selected this heavy Wade and Butcher near wedge 15/16" cleaver because it seems to knock down heavy growth with little care. This is only my second shave on this edge, which is a wonderful union of very keen and quite smooth.

-This mighty little brush made by Simpson's is easily the most pampering brush I own. Not so much as a hint of scritch or scratch, but radically more backbone than you would think from that description. Just a lovely, silky massage for my face.

-The King of Oud isn't the best performing soap I own, that honor now belongs to the Murphy and McNeil soaps, but this scent just screams "Special Occasion", and I have a whole tub of the stuff, so I couldn't resist.

-The crystal alum stick is the largest single hunk of alum I could find, as well as being super smooth, and very convenient to use without dropping. For $8 it was a great purchase!

-Thayers with Aloe, and then, after that dries Nivea sensitive cooling balm. What a treat for the post-game! My skin feels incredible today!

The shave went even more smoothly than you might imagine given the kit - although not entirely bloodless, today easily ranks within my top 5 shaves ever, and is equal to ANY shave I've had with a straight razor. Maybe even the best to date.

What a great way to start the second half (I hope) of my life! Tonight it's tomahawk ribeyes smoked with hickory then seared over the vortex!

Life is good gents, life is good.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROTHER!!

Enjoy that steak for us!! Possible Steak Of The Day thread?

I actually meant to take pics and post them. The family had other ideas. By the time I went upstairs, grabbed my phone to take the pic and came back down, the picture perfect tray of seared tomahawk goodness had already been divided and there was beef juice dribbling down three chins!

The beef came off the grill as nice as the shave went this morning. What a perfect 40'th!

My 40 is coming this August. Not sure what blade I'm going with but the steaks seem like a first choice . Happy birthday

Happy steakday!

I mean beefday,

no-no-no, I mean birthday!

Glad it went well.

So how's it feel being 2/5ths of a century old?

Happy steakday!

I mean beefday,

no-no-no, I mean birthday!

Glad it went well.

So how's it feel being 2/5ths of a century old?
Rofl - well played.

I guess I’m handling it ok - I still feel like I’m the same cocky 20 year old, but sometimes I look back at things I used to say to people and wonder that no one ever shot me.

Top Bottom