What's new

A post that I have been dreading to make

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
In April of 2021 I was having trouble swallowing food. I got scoped and was diagnosed with stomach cancer. I had 4 chemo treatments, full stomach removal, then four more chemo treatments. My last one was February 2022. Things were looking good. My weight was holding at a stable 170 pounds or so, and my strength was returning. In October 2022 a CAT scan showed I was still cancer free. In February of this year we were discussing getting my chemo port removed.

In April of this year, I started having pains that seemed to be intestinal. Everything was pointing at a possible ulcer. Then, an ultrasound revealed some spots on my liver. An MRI revealed 14 spots on my liver, and a biopsy proved that the cancer decided to pop up in my liver. So, I restarted under a new chemo regimen. Then, I started having problems swallowing again. I wasn't eating, and the weight was dropping badly. At one point a few weeks ago I weighed in at 135 pounds. At 5'10" I am beginning to resemble a skeleton. I go next week for a consultation about getting a feeding tube put in. I can't continue to fight this cancer at my current weight and strength levels.

So, to wrap up a long-winded post, it looks like I won't be around very much longer. I am scrambling to get my affairs in order, and will likely be going on long term disability, which will be 60% pay, but it keeps my health and life insurance active (my life policy is 3 times my annual salary- wife is going to need that). I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone on B&B for making this place what it is. I have been here since 2010, and still find it hard to believe that one can belong to a forum where you can consider people you never met in person as friends. Many of you are kind of like family to me. I thank you for accepting me into this group of fine people.

To those who respond, I may not get back to you right away (this post has been a little emotionally rough), but I will try to do so as soon as I can.

So, to wrap up a long-winded post, it looks like I won't be around very much longer. I am scrambling to get my affairs in order, and will likely be going on long term disability, which will be 60% pay, but it keeps my health and life insurance active (my life policy is 3 times my annual salary- wife is going to need that). I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone on B&B for making this place what it is. I have been here since 2010, and still find it hard to believe that one can belong to a forum where you can consider people you never met in person as friends. Many of you are kind of like family to me. I thank you for accepting me into this group of fine people.
My friend, you have my very greatest empathy, this common fate we all face imminently.

Fight it every inch of the way. Fight it all the way to the mountains. Counter attack at every opportunity.

Fight it with all the will and strength you feel you can give to the struggle.

You will be receiving new nourishment, that is very good. It will conserve and sustain your strength.

I believe that certain interventions occur on a regular basis. Some call them miracles.

You have the thoughts and active energy of prayer of the many here, and in your life.

Carry on my dear friend.

Last edited:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
That sucks.

That was the best response my wife and best friend received when telling others of her cancer diagnosis.

I have prayed for you and your wife and will continue to do so. Thank you for sharing. As you continue on this journey, know your B&B friends remain in your corner.

I don't really know what to write. I have no words that would make sense. I will pray for you, that God will either do a miracle and heal you or give you peace and physical comfort for whatever time you will be here. I have appreciated your investment here and can only conclude that being part of your face to face circle of friends must be a privilege.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Praying for God’s peace for you, my friend. Remember that our souls are eternal though our bodies are mortal.

You’ll be remembered here, my friend.

I know you’re a Steelers fan. Just yesterday I took my daughter to the cemetery to plant flowers at my father’s grave. We saw Art Rooney’s burial spot, and that of his son, Dan Rooney. It’s a stark reminder that we’ll all meet this fate. But thank God it’s not the final chapter of our lives.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Don't give up the fight Owen. Never give up. Never.
I pray that you have the mental and physical strength to hang in there and beat this. It's been done before.
You have blood family that needs you around and you have B&B family that needs you around.
We can't say with any certaincy what the future holds, but we can be certain that you have people on your side pulling and praying for you.

Top Bottom