What's new

A poor workman blames his tools …

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, it's a two-edged sword (blade).

While it's true that a poor workman blames his tools, it's also true that you rarely find a great workman with crappy tools.

And while it's true that I can make a poor razor perform a good shave, I have no interest in taking on that task. None whatsoever.

But if that's your idea of fun (or a challenge), I'm shouting words of support.

Thanks Keith. I'm not up for doing it on every shave, hence running it alternately with a set up I'm currently enjoying. But I am confident that one way or another I will learn something - either how to make that set up work enjoyably, or how bad "X" blade is in that razor - either way, I will know something at the end of this exercise that I didn't before.

I hope that I will be able to master the set up, and take whatever I end up with for at least a dozen shaves.
(fingers crossed)

I vote shark. I'll get 50+ shaves out of a Perma-Sharp Super, and on it's last day, it'll still be sharper and smoother than a shark. Most of the other blades you've got there are quite decent. Good luck with whichever blade is selected!

Recently picked up a Blue Tip. Only got it to fill a gap in the collection, as I prefer fairly mean OLD razors.

Shaved with the Blue Tip for a week and was amazed by the close shaves ... and learned that shaving may have little to do with the razor after all.

AA
A Blue Tip is a great razor once you dial it in. Of course you can say that about most razors!

I'm committed to running an entire month ( of abbreviated shaves) on a Shark SC.
I'm casting my vote, too.
Go for it!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm not going to shave this evening, which means I'll have two days stubble when I load up the Shark blade tomorrow. This not only gives the Shark a proper job to do, but also makes it easier for me to tune into what is (or isn't) happening.

I'm committed to running an entire month ( of abbreviated shaves) on a Shark SC.
I'm casting my vote, too.
Go for it!

One month on one blade, or one month on one brand?

I'm not going to shave this evening, which means I'll have two days stubble when I load up the Shark blade tomorrow. This not only gives the Shark a proper job to do, but also makes it easier for me to tune into what is (or isn't) happening.

One month on one blade, or one month on one brand?

The same blade. I'm participating in "No Shave November" so it's cleaning up cheeks, chin, and throat.
I'm optimistic.

Tonight I had my sixth shave on a 7 O Clock yellow blade. Whilst there are some in the Excaliber Club that would essentially consider this a fresh blade, there are many on the forum who would consider this as well past it’s best, and would have discarded this several shaves ago.

I fancied a change tonight though.

The Parker 22 Interceptor is a much maligned razor, and since signing up here I have read several scathing reviews of it. Mine seems to be a decent example of this razor, and while the upright bar that the blade locates on does wobble a bit, the wings on the butterfly opening close evenly, and support that upright bar well in the closed position. There’s no issues on blade centralising on mine either, so it’s equally aggressive either way round. When I first used it a few years ago, I did have the wings open on me, and found that once they are closed, the handle needs a gentle little extra nip, just to keep everything tensioned. No force, just a gentle nip, maybe 1/10 of a turn or maybe even less. It is however certainly more aggressive than the Jagger, and therefore needs driving differently.

Before I signed up here I had sported a full face beard for 18 months (probably longer actually), and my Interceptor hadn’t been used for pretty much two years, and I really wanted to take it for a spin again. I transferred the blade over from the Edwin Jagger 3D Diamond that I have been using since I started shaving again, being careful to keep the blade the same way up, as I am avoiding flipping this blade. It’s my “datum” blade for the Excaliber Club, which is a new venture for me. I’m still trying to see how many good and comfortable shaves I can get with this blade using the methods I’ve used for the last couple of decades, before trying out any new “tricks”.

Because it’s been so long since I last drove this razor, I decided to take my time with it tonight, and not jump in at full throttle like I might with the Jagger. I applied my usual warm water rinse, and my usual unsoaped couple of laps over the face with a wet brush to work the water into both the beard and the boar bristles themselves. A quick dip of the brush back into the hot water of the scuttle, and just three or four seconds of loading of Mitchells Wool Fat gave me a dollop of highly aerated foam on the brush. Several seconds of working this into the face knocked out the bubbles, and got the lather just how I like it – verging on runny, with far more water than air, and a nice thin layer of slipperiness meant I was ready to start.

I got the angle totally wrong on the first short stroke, and it took a couple more short strokes to rediscover the sweet spot, trying to ride neither the cap or guard rail, but the blade itself. The balance is quite different to the Jagger too, and is quite handle heavy. The heft in the handle and lightness in the head does mean that I hold it slightly differently to get the pressureless yet controlled contact of the blade on the skin. The talk of the razor is a more “tinny” scraping sound than the Jagger, partially due to the construction of the head, and partially because the blade protrudes a little further, and that extra aggression means a fraction more unsupported blade. By the time I’d slowly taken the lather of half of my right cheek though, I started getting tuned back in to this razor, and what it’s higher pitched talk was saying to me, and I began to relax into it a little more. It became a really pleasant relaxing shave.

My first shave in two years with this nigh on universally acknowledged poor quality razor, furnished with an old blade, came to a close. From two-day stubble to BBS all over in just two passes, with a little touch up under the jaw on the right hand side. Not only was my face smooth, but also completely free of irritation.

Some razors may be “better” than others, depending on your own preferences, and some blades might feel a little more comfortable or efficient to you in your current technique. However, a bad shave doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve got the wrong mix of tools. Sometimes it just takes a little time and adjustment in yourself to get that dream shave. If you want a shave that is as smooth as a baby’s bottom, then shave as if your own skin was just as delicate. Even if your razor is not adjustable, you are. Honing skills may seem frustrating and tedious at times, but it is worth it.

I’ll probably be taking this blade for many more laps round my face before it gets cast aside, and have no yearnings to replace my Parker 22 Interceptor anytime soon. I’m still in my early 40s, and still have a fair bit of learning to do, specifically with hollow ground razors.

Confession: I must add that I actually did have a bad shave myself recently with a Wilkinson Empire with a GEM blade in, and I too initially leaned towards blaming the razor, before I begrudgingly accepted that I simply haven't figured out how to get the best from it yet. That blade is only a stop gap until I refurb the original blades - and I'll probably have a few bad shaves with those as well - probably all my other vintage razors too. However, in time, I hope to be able to get myself fully competent with those tools too, and then I won't have to blame any of my razors.
All true, but if you need a table saw for a job and try to use a hacksaw, a hammer, or a drill instead, you probably won't get good results. You have to understand which tool you need and which tool you have. With one razor I can shave quickly and carelessly and still get an OK shave without cutting myself. With another, I can more easily get a BBS result, but I need to be more careful. So I must choose what result I want. Once I've made my choice, my general philosophy of tools is, don't just buy the cheapest you can find, but if something does the job well and is durable enough, I don't necessarily need something more expensive even if it is better made.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
All true, but if you need a table saw for a job and try to use a hacksaw, a hammer, or a drill instead, you probably won't get good results. You have to understand which tool you need and which tool you have. With one razor I can shave quickly and carelessly and still get an OK shave without cutting myself. With another, I can more easily get a BBS result, but I need to be more careful. So I must choose what result I want. Once I've made my choice, my general philosophy of tools is, don't just buy the cheapest you can find, but if something does the job well and is durable enough, I don't necessarily need something more expensive even if it is better made.

I'm certainly not suggesting that people should be able to shave with a teaspoon or potato peeler :biggrin: I agree there's no reason to make life harder than it needs to be, unless you're attempting a silly challenge like this :001_tongu but wanted to reinforce what others have implied above, that with good technique with a bad razor, will usually give better results than bad technique with a good razor.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
OK, we have lift off.

proxy.php

Apologies for the poor photo, but the Shark Super Chrome got loaded in the Parker 22 tonight, and was put to use.

I just did my usual level of prep, and the first couple of short strokes seemed quite promising. No snatching, the recognisable talk sounded like it was cutting the hair properly, but more smoothly than the 7 O Clock Yellow that I'm running in the Jagger.

My usual quick shave routine is take full North to South passes from the uppermost hair, past the jaw line and just beyond the lowest hair in that path. This is WTG above the jaw, and XTG below. Once the first couple of short strokes were taken and I got more confident with the blade, I switched to the full strokes. The "with the grain work" on the front of the face went very smoothly, but not so smoothly underneath the jaw. Going across the grain was snatching at the hair, but as I fine tuned my handling, I noticed that it was being unforgiving of inaccuracies on my part. If the blade stayed at skin level, it cut cleanly, but if I start riding the gap or guard, and the blade lifted slightly off the skin, it began to drag.

For the second pass I decided to go against the grain all over. The blade handled this, but again was very smooth while ever there was skin contact, and really snatched at the hair if my angle was off. Some blades might take this in their stride, and cut high - but the Shark needs that correct orientation to perform. A very unforgiving blade, but one that does give a smooth action when presented properly. I'll certainly need to be more attentive with this one, and even needed to stretch the skin in a couple of places, which I don't have to do with other blades. This blade will both reward you for good technique, and punish you for sloppiness.

Net result was a DFS in two passes, but also a stern warning to pay proper attention to my approach angle. There's no taking liberties with this blade. I'm fairly happy with this for the first outing, as even though it snatched occasionally when I wasn't being careful, the hair came away from the outside, and the red runny stuff stayed on the inside.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As yesterday's shave wasn't shy in letting me know when I got the angle wrong, I decided not to oscillate between the two razors, and to stick with this one a while. Hopefully this way I will tune in better to this razor.

I shaved again tonight, only removing one day's stubble (obviously), and again the shave was smooth when I got it right, and it let me know when I hadn't. I think I'll stick with this one a while, and see if I can improve myy technique. This will give me a fairer appraisal of the life of this blade.

I'm experiencing similar results with mine in a Red Tip. Well, the tip isn't red anymore, and there's very little nickel left anywhere but I know the razor well.
I'm finding it very angle dependent, and I know it's not the razor; it's almost like shaving with a Tech; DFS at best until you get it right.
Maybe there is a slightly different bevel, or edge, or something on these Sharks after all.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm experiencing similar results with mine in a Red Tip. Well, the tip isn't red anymore, and there's very little nickel left anywhere but I know the razor well.
I'm finding it very angle dependent, and I know it's not the razor; it's almost like shaving with a Tech; DFS at best until you get it right.
Maybe there is a slightly different bevel, or edge, or something on these Sharks after all.

There's certainly something different about it, Jeff. A good shave can definitely be had from it, but you have to be attentive to get it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Go ahead and blame the tool.

:biggrin:

Well, yes, I could say "the blade should be better, so I don't need to be" :001_tongu but that's not going to lead to progress or any improvement in the quality of shave :001_unsur

What has impressed me with this set up (or is it my cautious handling), there has been no post shave irritation whatsoever. It may be that I have slowed down and paid more attention to it, with it snatching if I don't get things just right. I didn't feel the need for balm last night, and just rinsed my face off after, there was still no post-shave burn.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Third shave with this set up this afternoon. Nothing new to report. Another good shave.

My worst razor and worst blade, three good shaves on the trot, no face leakage, no significant irritation or other hardship, and no signs of the blade giving up yet.

I see no point in updating this thread with each and every shave as I'm getting fairly consistent results. I'll update again when something actually changes ...

Top Bottom