What's new

A poor workman blames his tools …

I did #6 or so; it's clear that the blade has deteriorated in sharpness, my only question is will it continue to do so, or seemingly "level out". I did open up a small weeper which was gone with the rinse and didn't reappear. I'll monitor as well and advise of any major developments.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave number five tonight. As mentioned in another thread, I actually tried something a little different to normal - my first outing with a Palmolive Shave Stick. Applied directly to the face, lathered with just wet fingertips, and ready to go. I was tempted to use my Jagger with the 7 O Clock Yellow, but decided to use the Interceptor with Shark instead.

Results? No change - another great shave. :biggrin:

I think it's really just a question of how long this blade will last me now.

It’s really the technique .. I think I got a Baby’s butt on my upper lip .. the stubble after 36hrs is shorter than those below the lip ...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My stubble seems to come back a little uneven at first too - even in areas which I'm convinced I shaved quite evenly. It generally seems to have pretty much evened itself up by the second day though. Also, it might be that the hair grows a little slower for you there. It does have a much shorter terminal length above the lip, so it might grow differently too.

My Shark is still going strong, no noticeable further deterioration. I flipped it and put it into a Fat Boy; and had a smooth shave on setting #6. I'll open it up a bit tonight and see if it feels rough.
Interesting; the wrapper and tuck say "Super Chrome" but the blade itself reads "stainless". I'm not sure if it's an error or just the way they are. It's not a regular blade for me, but so far, so good!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Good to hear, Jeff. How many shaves is that now, or have you lost count? :D

Mine said Super Chrome on the blade, but just Shark on the wrapper. Maybe someone made a booboo with yours, and got the blades and packaging mixed up?

Good to hear, Jeff. How many shaves is that now, or have you lost count? :D

Mine said Super Chrome on the blade, but just Shark on the wrapper. Maybe someone made a booboo with yours, and got the blades and packaging mixed up?

Perhaps, maybe it is a Super Stainless. I think I'm up to at least ten shaves; I've skipped a couple days but not many. I'm only shaving my neck and under my chin to clean up the beard line as it's "No Shave November"; but these are the toughest areas for me. I'm still doing a two pass shave with no increased buffing needed. I'm impressed.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ah, buffing. There's something I'd never heard of till I came here. I did do something similar with my first razor many years ago, but it's something I moved away from. Maybe that's for a different topic though ...

Yes, I'm reasonably impressed too. I might try sticking it in a different razor myself, and seeing how it works. I'm at five passes of everything except a handlebar and goatee, and I went right to BBS yesterday to give the Palmolive shave stick a thorough test. There's really no point in me shaving again today, as the stubble is barely breaking the surface. Yesterday's shave showed no ill performance of the blade, and I have a sneaky feeling that it's going to be staying in use for a good while yet.

Broke out the 99R with Astra SS .. baby’s bum on upper lip and side burns ..chin and neck still need some work .. asked my wife to figure the direction of growth.. she’s pretty impressed!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave 6:
I was reading a recent thread slating the Wilkinson Sword Classic, so of course I had to switch the blade over to mine and take it for a nostalgic spin. :biggrin:

Honestly, this was never going to be a challenge for me, as I used this razor almost exclusively for 20 years. It was the first time I'd used it in a couple of years though, and the first time ever with a Shark Super Chrome. I don't really need to say this do I ...?

The Classic flew round my face like the Stig in a reasonably priced car ... and BBS all over!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've not been using this set up much lately, as bouncing between this razor/blade combo and the 7 O Clock Yellow in my Jagger was messing up my proficiency and technique. I decided to focus more on the 7 O Clock Yellow, and just have the occasional shave with this one - which I did tonight.

Tonight's shave was #10 with the Shark Super Chrome, and while I got a good shave, the edge on the 7 O Clock Yellow seems keener after 22 shaves than this one does after 10. I don't think I'll be breaking any records with this Shark, or buying these blades in bulk. It does the job, and it'll give me great shaves for less than a penny a time, but it's got me wondering already how much longer it's going to last. I might have to start shortening my stroke in a couple of shaves, which I haven't had to do with the other one yet.

I'll update again when I get to 15 or 20 shaves, or if anything significant happens.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Shark was declared dead this evening, on it's 11th shave. The shave just didn't feel right all the way through, and inspecting the blade after I finished showed light bouncing off flat spots on both edges. Slightly disappointing blade life, but at around £5/100 for 10 decent shaves and one slightly ropey one, that's still two shaves per penny.

Will I buy these blades again? Probably not, but I will be happy to use up any I have left. The Parker 22 will still have an active life though.

Recently picked up a Blue Tip. Only got it to fill a gap in the collection, as I prefer fairly mean OLD razors.

Shaved with the Blue Tip for a week and was amazed by the close shaves ... and learned that shaving may have little to do with the razor after all.

AA
I read here that the Gillette Super Speed Red Tip was supposed to be an "aggressive" razor. So when I first tried it last week, I tried to keep all the variables -- shower first, cream, blade, passes -- the same as I had been doing with my Slim Adjustable. And I was very careful with the razor as I went. Perhaps this is a case of "listen to the razor" or "respect the razor," but I had no trouble at all with it and have enjoyed each of my shaves with it. If I hadn't heard about the aggressiveness factor of the SS Red, I might not have been as careful, and might not have come out entirely unscathed. . . .

Shark Super Chrome blades are a stainless blade but have a thin chrome plating on them... They are made by Lord Industries.

The Shark was declared dead this evening, on it's 11th shave. The shave just didn't feel right all the way through, and inspecting the blade after I finished showed light bouncing off flat spots on both edges. Slightly disappointing blade life, but at around £5/100 for 10 decent shaves and one slightly ropey one, that's still two shaves per penny.

Will I buy these blades again? Probably not, but I will be happy to use up any I have left. The Parker 22 will still have an active life though.
There comes a point, doesn't there.....I dropped mine into an 87R for it's final engagement and came to the conclusion that I need to spend more time with my Parkers.

I read here that the Gillette Super Speed Red Tip was supposed to be an "aggressive" razor. So when I first tried it last week, I tried to keep all the variables -- shower first, cream, blade, passes -- the same as I had been doing with my Slim Adjustable. And I was very careful with the razor as I went. Perhaps this is a case of "listen to the razor" or "respect the razor," but I had no trouble at all with it and have enjoyed each of my shaves with it. If I hadn't heard about the aggressiveness factor of the SS Red, I might not have been as careful, and might not have come out entirely unscathed. . . .

In my experience, ANY of the Super Speeds are varying degrees of mild and comfortable. You won't be getting into R41, Fatip, OLD, or even "Black Beauty on 9" levels of gap or exposure with any of them.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wakey wakey, sleepy thread.

I posted this in another thread earlier today...

"Sometimes having to rely on your own skills are nice, but sometimes it's nice to be carefree and not have to think about it. Always carefree is boring, always challenging is tedious, being able to choose is liberating yet rewarding."

I've been shaving with the much maligned pre-2016 Derby recently, and got good results in a mild razor. So I've decided to transfer that blade to my mildest razor, the Wilkinson Sword Classic, for when I want a change from whatever the current blade is in the regular Edwin Jagger, or want a shave that requires a little more thought. I figured this was the thread to comment on it when I use it.

I'm the first to admit that technique is the prime determinant to a good shave, but one has to take into considereation the specific reqiurements of the different skin amd beard types.
As I can only speak of myself and YMMV as usual, a mild razor even with a feather will take me a long time to achieve a DFS, while my R41 will do it with a lesser blade and a lot less passes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm the first to admit that technique is the prime determinant to a good shave, but one has to take into considereation the specific reqiurements of the different skin amd beard types.
As I can only speak of myself and YMMV as usual, a mild razor even with a feather will take me a long time to achieve a DFS, while my R41 will do it with a lesser blade and a lot less passes.

I totally agree. It's over 25 years since I first started using a DE razor, but I've only ever used it on one beard. I've gotten to know that one beard really well, and figured out how to consistently get a good shave without rash or leaks, but that would be no guarantee of success on any other beard.

As I've said before, I think the reason that I got good with this one beard, is that I had the option of one razor and one blade brand to learn with. If I'd had the luxury of being able to try lots of different equipment combos to find which gave me the best/easiest results back then, I don't think that I'd be able to use my current razors as well as I now can.

We all have tricky elements unique to our beard, and we all find different ways to manage them. It certainly took me a long time to figure mine out. It just so happened that I learned with kit that most folks seem to shy away from.

To be honest, I've never used an R41... or a slant... or a vintage Gillette... or an adjustable... or a premium priced machined razor head... and I dare say that I might have to tweak my methods a bit if I did. I've never had to shave anyone else's face either.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just ditched the blade after 5 shaves, as it had started to tarnish and the shave quality went downhill fast. Not the fault of the tools, it was entirely my doing. I'd used the blade a couple of times in my travel razor, which meant I had to pack the blade away back in it's wrapper each time, and either the blade or wrapper wasn't dry enough. It's a recurring problem with that razor, but it's been so long since I needed it for travel use, I had forgotten about it.

My bad.

Top Bottom