What's new

A new YMMV question

Hi,

How many shave can you do with one blade with a safety razor? I know that there is many factor, and 2 persons will not came out with the same answer.
I just want to have an approximation of how often you change blades in a safety, since I just bought a Fatboy :w00t: .

Next stet is to go buy the DE Blade Sampler Pack, Extended at wetcoastshaving.

TY for your answer

I have heard people say they use a new blade with each shave and folks that go seven days before changing the blade. That's a pretty wide spread. You'll figure out pretty quickly what works for you once you get started. Good luck with the sampler pack.

Rule of :thumbup: , when it feels like it drags a little, chuck it for the next shave. There was a guy here that shaved a few months with one blade:eek: When I shave my head, I have to chuck the razor after one shave. It was once a week when it was just my face.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
At only 10 cents a blade I prefer to change blades before there are signs of it being dull. For me it is typically 2 shaves. It will still do a third shave most of the time, but why take the chance?

At only 10 cents a blade I prefer to change blades before there are signs of it being dull.

I agree with this affordability philosophy of DE blades.

It seems I change a blade on Monday morning regardless of how many times I shave with it. Typically no more than 7 but not less than 5.

Dave

Oldsaw wrote:
At only 10 cents a blade I prefer to change blades before there are signs of it being dull.

+1

While I am still new, during my trial period sampling what works, I have found the duration will actually change by blade also. I use each blade for 3 days (Crystal blades) and @ 14 cents a blade shipped, it doesnt hurt the wallet a bit. Even if it hurt the wallet a little, its better than hurting my face.:wink2:

YMMV
hose

I usually do no more than 2 shaves with a Israeli Personna or Dorco. With a Swedish Gillette I can get 4 to 5 shaves. Those are my primary three blades.

Two or three shaves, rarely more.

Not that I'm necessarily getting bad shaves after that, but they're no longer top notch, and there will be a couple of areas on my face that weren't quite as smooth as with a new blade.

And (as everyone else said), it's just 10 cents a blade, so I'm saving at most a couple of pennies by trying to get another shave from the blade. Why bother?

I usually swap after 4 shaves for DE blades. I can go 6 in a pinch with most brands. For Injector blades, I get 7 saves easy.

Three shaves is the most I can get before the blade drags, and that's my measure for when I have to change it. Sometimes there's a bad blade and it gets swapped out halfway through the second shave, but generally swapping as soon as it becomes (or will be) the least bit unpleasant has worked.

I shave with a straight but use a DE on trips and vacation.

I found that I get a weeks worth of shaves when I use Frasers cream with most brands of DE blades. When I use Prorasso I get 3 good ones and an ok 4th.

ONCE and only that one time I didn't have shave soap and tried Nivea for men bodywash all whipped up with a brush and all. I got one shave and was sore for a week.
:a13:

Top Bottom