What's new

A minor issue with the King C Gillette blades.

I have the KCG razor and blades. The combo works very well for me. I easily get 7 shaves out of one blade. And can push that to 14 if needed, but nowadays I simply use one each week for ease of rotation. Reading other posts on the forum and around the net, I do need to state that I apparently live in a KCG-blade-price-friendly part of the world. They can be pricy here too, but near the end of last year I was able to snatch to large packs of 60 blades each for the same price point as a Feather. Given its performance I thought that was all right. And I now have enough blades to get me through the next 3.5 years :eek2:.

I have the KCG razor and blades. The combo works very well for me. I easily get 7 shaves out of one blade. And can push that to 14 if needed, but nowadays I simply use one each week for ease of rotation. Reading other posts on the forum and around the net, I do need to state that I apparently live in a KCG-blade-price-friendly part of the world. They can be pricy here too, but near the end of last year I was able to snatch to large packs of 60 blades each for the same price point as a Feather. Given its performance I thought that was all right. And I now have enough blades to get me through the next 3.5 years :eek2:.
Just to give you an idea I just checked the local webpages and prices vary from €0.30 to even €0.09 per blade for KCG blades. But I also have seen ads that would get you €0.60 per blade (which is almost twice a Feather in my country). All not taking postage into account.

The KCG blades are pricey, but I got mine on clearance which brought each one in under .25 cents per blade, and I've found them to be smooth and long-lasting in the 8-10 shave range. The KCGs and Nacets are my second choice blades, and they are fairly available. Well, they're more available than my number one, favorite blade which is any vintage English Wilkinson Sword "Super Sword Edge" blades, that I'll pickup anytime I see them for sale in an antique shop.

They are pricey indeed, if you search BAY auctions site can find them in buy it now for $ 17.49 set with 40 blades shipped.

For those who achieve 8-10 shaves per blade that's a year of blades. Not such a big extravagance.

This is why I am putting my money on Gillette Platinum blades. (I, too, believe that the KCG are Gillette Platinum blades that have been rebranded).

We'll soon see.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is why I am putting my money on Gillette Platinum blades. (I, too, believe that the KCG are Gillette Platinum blades that have been rebranded).

We'll soon see.
Let me know what you think. I love the Gillette Platinum blades. I'm too cheap to buy the KCG ones.

Good afternoon all.

I have a very strange issue with the King C Gillette blades. Used them twice now. On each occasion the blade starts off comfortable like a Nacet but then the comfort gives way to some harshness. Haven't had this issue with the Nacets or the Wilkinson Sword blades.

My guess is that the coating on the KCG blades is of a poor quality and it wears off very quickly. Has anyone else had a similar experience with these blades? Please note I haven't changed my shaving technique; it always remains consistent no matter what blade I use.

Jason.
Jason. My guess is your pretty tough whiskers just require the sharper blade. The Nacets are sharper than the KCG and they work for you. I can tell you that for sure. With my whiskers there is a significant difference.

Just an update from my March post and in connection to the OP - initial shaves can be slightly rougher, but after you get into the blade performance is amazing I must say. I thought in March that 7-10 was the upper limit, but tomorrow I will use a KCG for Fatip Friday on its 18th run.

Clearly YMMV.

Cheers,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm wondering how many uses I'll get out of mine. I can only get 6 shaves max out of an AC single edge blade and they are supposed to last much longer. I think my first use yesterday was pretty smooth but I don't really know. I'm at the very beginning of my DE journey.

I used the KCG in a Gillette British Flat Bottom Tech ~ 1946 vintage. From what I can tell, it's a nice pairing. I have a few more to try after this blade is toast.

Top Bottom