What's new

A minor issue with the King C Gillette blades.

Good afternoon all.

I have a very strange issue with the King C Gillette blades. Used them twice now. On each occasion the blade starts off comfortable like a Nacet but then the comfort gives way to some harshness. Haven't had this issue with the Nacets or the Wilkinson Sword blades.

My guess is that the coating on the KCG blades is of a poor quality and it wears off very quickly. Has anyone else had a similar experience with these blades? Please note I haven't changed my shaving technique; it always remains consistent no matter what blade I use.

Jason.

Good afternoon all.

I have a very strange issue with the King C Gillette blades. Used them twice now. On each occasion the blade starts off comfortable like a Nacet but then the comfort gives way to some harshness. Haven't had this issue with the Nacets or the Wilkinson Sword blades.

My guess is that the coating on the KCG blades is of a poor quality and it wears off very quickly. Has anyone else had a similar experience with these blades? Please note I haven't changed my shaving technique; it always remains consistent no matter what blade I use.

Jason.
I've only used 1 tuck of KCG's and each of the blades have been amazing for me and lasted 6 - 8 shaves. I used them in mild razors (the KCG razor, Merkur 20C, and Gillette Slim on 4). It could be a QA issue.

On the other hand, Nacets and me are not on speaking terms right now (due to a less than stellar shaving experience with them).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've only used 1 tuck of KCG's and each of the blades have been amazing for me and lasted 6 - 8 shaves. I used them in mild razors (the KCG razor, Merkur 20C, and Gillette Slim on 4). It could be a QA issue.

On the other hand, Nacets and me are not on speaking terms right now (due to a less than stellar shaving experience with them).
Yeah....this is (forgive me in advance Gents, I'm about to post a lazy explanation!) about the most perfect use of the term, "YMMV"...blades are just SO subjective. Nacets love my incredibly handsome face.

I've heard some spekulatin' that those King C Gillette blades are actually Gillette Platinums... I have no experience with KCG blades, but the Gillette Plats are a bit rough for me. Though to be honest, I only used them once. On a GSB I know it won't be good til it's second use....

I obviously need to revisit those.... But this Grundi character is ALWAYS dragging me into these blade challenge things against my will....true story doggone!
I am still early on in my blade trials, so far only having used 12 different blades
(not counting the Nacets which have been secretly finding their way into my ATT SB90 and R41)

FarmerTan

I am still early on in my blade trials, so far only having used 12 different blades
(not counting the Nacets which have been secretly finding their way into my ATT SB90 and R41)
You have probably tried about as many as me! @Grundi is what polite folks call an "enabler".... My Mom would call him a "pusher!"

My first blade after I joined here was a Gillette Silver Blue. It spoiled me. Astra SS comes real close, but those are probably the only blades I would actually spend my own money on!

Grundi and @Space_Cadet saved me so much money I could afford to send my only begotten to kollege! True story doggone!

Thanks for all of your replies. I wasn’t trying to instigate a ‘blade war’ or anything. As you all know I’m perfectly happy with my Nacets I just wanted to share my own personal experience with the KCG blades.

I am fully aware of the YMMV factor and if there are those who are perfectly happy with KCT blades, then that’s absolutely fine!

On a side note I only have ONE safety razor (the Merkur 39c Sledgehammer) so I am unable to mix and match different blades with different razors.

Jason.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have used a Gillette Platinum blade and got 25 shaves from it. I am currently working through the One Blade February Challenge with a KCG blade because I heard they were like the platinum. I had a problem with my Cella soap but fixed it by switching to Haslinger Shafmilch. So far I have been impressed with it, it feels smooth in the mild Yaqi DLC SB. When it does start running out of steam I will change to something more aggressive, but I am expecting to complete 28 shaves this month with it.
The whole "which is the best blade?" thing is so subjective many can get a ton of shaves from a Feather, I got 8. There are also too many variables, skin type, razor, soap, technique and beard type. The only way of finding a blade that works for you is to try them. You may find that having purchased another razor the KCG is the best blade in that razor.
No matter how well a blade performs for someone else it may not perform like that for you.

I used a new KCG blade in my Parker semi slant this morning and got a comfortable shave, very smooth. These blades came with the new Gillette razor ($12 on Amazon) and I did not care for the blade in that razor. But I don't plan on buying any more of them. As others have said, there are other blades as good or better for less money.

The most common theory I've seen so far is that the KCG are rebranded platinums, but very specifically the platinum light blue. I've been meaning to pick up some light blues to do my own comparison of the two, but I can never find them readily available in Canada. I'll have to go out of my way for them.

FarmerTan

Thanks for all of your replies. I wasn’t trying to instigate a ‘blade war’ or anything. As you all know I’m perfectly happy with my Nacets I just wanted to share my own personal experience with the KCG blades.

I am fully aware of the YMMV factor and if there are those who are perfectly happy with KCT blades, then that’s absolutely fine!

On a side note I only have ONE safety razor (the Merkur 39c Sledgehammer) so I am unable to mix and match different blades with different razors.

Jason.
You need to move to 'Murica, a civilized nation that has plenty of old Gillette razors just lying around waiting to be disconnected in estate sales, etc.

Edit: disconnected? I think I meant discovered, but disconnected is funnier!

And you didn't start no problems about blades!
Opinions of blades are as numerous as fleas on my wife!

Last edited:
I like KCG more than the Platinum (sometimes I get burning w these) and even the Nacets that can be harsh. The only reason I haven't bought a few hundred: $$$$$= absurd.......

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I found the KCG blades to be very smooth, not quite sharp enough with fairly poor longevity. But I agree that blades are solidly in the YMMV arena.

Top Bottom