What's new

A Lesson Expensively Learned

I have a Honda Pilot with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Several oil changes ago, the tech forgot to replace one of the valve stem covers. To make them match, I simply replaced all 4 with shiny steel (rather than the cheap plastic) covers. Seems like a normal thing to do.

Here is the problem. Some sort of corrosion seems to occur with the stem threads and the metal (probably yet another example of Chinese ***) cap. Impossible to loosen to be able to add air to your tire. I went to a tire shop today where I always buy our tires and I trust these guys implicitly. They said they see this all of the time and most probably will end up destroying the valve stem getting them off. They did.

The problem then lies in having to buy new TPMS valve stems, the cost is somewhere in the $ 100 to $200 PER valve stem range and need to be purchased through a Honda Dealer. $ 400 to $800 because of some lousy $2 metal valve covers.

Unbelievable.

The lesson....ONLY USE CHEESY PLASTIC VALVE COVERS.

I have a Honda Pilot with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Several oil changes ago, the tech forgot to replace one of the valve stem covers. To make them match, I simply replaced all 4 with shiny steel (rather than the cheap plastic) covers. Seems like a normal thing to do.

Here is the problem. Some sort of corrosion seems to occur with the stem threads and the metal (probably yet another example of Chinese ***) cap. Impossible to loosen to be able to add air to your tire. I went to a tire shop today where I always buy our tires and I trust these guys implicitly. They said they see this all of the time and most probably will end up destroying the valve stem getting them off. They did.

The problem then lies in having to buy new TPMS valve stems, the cost is somewhere in the $ 100 to $200 PER valve stem range and need to be purchased through a Honda Dealer. $ 400 to $800 because of some lousy $2 metal valve covers.

Unbelievable.

The lesson....ONLY USE CHEESY PLASTIC VALVE COVERS.

Sounds like just another reason to bypass a Honda.. Sorry to hear of your misery..

I just have my valve stems naked. I asked a mechanic once and that is what he recommended. Since I check air pressure twice a month, it is just annoying to take them off and put them back on. Not that I recommend people to do this, but it works for me.

Sounds like just another reason to bypass a Honda.. Sorry to hear of your misery..

I don't think that it's necessarily a HONDA issue. I have had Honda's dating back to 1990 and they have been wonderful cars that just got passed down to the boys. Great cars.

The TPMS will be mandatory (our government always looking out for us) on I believe on all cars made in 2008.

All I'm saying, is that if you use valve stem caps, use the cheap plastic ones.

I would use Liquid Wrench or a penetrating oil. It should get valve stems loose, unless they are really, really old.

I would leave caps on the valve stems. They keep dirt and particles from getting into the valve stem and causing you to lose air, but YMMV. I check my tires at least once a week, but that would probably be overkill for a car.

It's called Bi-Metallic or Galvanic corrosion.

Bimetallic corrosion can be defined as the corrosion associated with the current associated from an electrical coupling of dissimilar metals in an electrolyte (i.e., wet corrosive environment - Water and Road Salt).

More HERE

Cheers

Mat:biggrin:

I have a Honda Pilot with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

Good tip.

I have a Pilot as well. Never thought about replacing the valve stem caps with something other than plastic, but am forewarned now.

Thanks for posting that.

I just have my valve stems naked. I asked a mechanic once and that is what he recommended. Since I check air pressure twice a month, it is just annoying to take them off and put them back on. Not that I recommend people to do this, but it works for me.

Yeah, thats a really bad recommendation. Particularly for winter driving with changing temperatures. Water freezing to ice in the valve stem will damage the valve and, well, it doesnt matter if you check twice a month. Besides how annoying can it be, it takes a few seconds which is better than the hassle and danger of a flat tire or burst stem.

Hi
I used to have metal covers on my car wheels until some nice person decided they would look better on their wheels than mine? Probably just as well! Nevertheless, I hope they rust on to his wheels.....:mad:

I noticed that someone had decided to make off with my metal valve stem covers AGAIN this past weekend. I blamed it on the oil change dudes the first time because it was a couple days after a change that I noticed it. Now, I'm blaming it on the holligan kids in my neighborhood. I bet if I yanked four of em from their bikes I'd find they have metal valve stem covers.

I bought plastic ones this time.

Top Bottom