What's new

A knot tease: Should I be holding out?

I was casually looking for a handle that would be able to accept a 24mm boar knot from TGN when I stumbled
across a listing for 6 knots on the Bay. I figured, "what the heck", and put a bid in. :laugh:

full

Naturally, the smart thing to do would be to simply wait until the handles show up here. Then I can clean them out,
take some measurements, and assess what I have. Then I can safely order some knots accordingly.
The catch is that the handles may take up to 3 weeks to get here (notice I am in Cananda). Then the order from TGN
can take another 2 weeks to arrive. So I may have to wait till early 2016 to complete the brushes (or maybe just late June of 2011:tongue_sm).
If I could order the knots sooner, that would half the time I have to wait for shipping.

I assume I will have to increase the diameter of the holes a little, just not sure how much they can safely be widened.
Ideally I was hoping that this lot would supply me with handles to fit the following knots.
  • 24mm Finest Fan
  • 24mm Boar
  • 22mm Best
What do you think, should I just pull the trigger and order the knots (you think there are 2 handles that can take a 24mm knot and 1 that can
take a 22mm)? As a bonus, is there a handle that you think would safely accept a 26mm knot with a little widening?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the ones on the ends and the red and black in the center will go 24mm no problem.

I you'll be pushing it to open any of them up to 26mm. You may get one that far, buy IMO it will look funny. The best chance for it is the red and black in the center. But it would look better with 24 or 22.

The red and black can handle a 26 maybe the white and clear also.The far left one may hold a 24 but I don't think there is enough girth to be able to set it deep.The others probably wont take much if any enlarging.

What's with the scab colored handle second from right? Is that wood, plastic, or just some satanist's sacrifice brush?

What's with the scab colored handle second from right? Is that wood, plastic, or just some satanist's sacrifice brush?

If that's wood, I think it's got some interesting potential. The handle shape isn't bad at all. After ripping out those old, disgusting bristles, I'd sand it down to bare wood, give it a light stain, and a few finish coats. A TGN Finest knot would finish it off nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing what the end result looks like.

If that's wood, I think it's got some interesting potential. The handle shape isn't bad at all. After ripping out those old, disgusting bristles, I'd sand it down to bare wood, give it a light stain, and a few finish coats. A TGN Finest knot would finish it off nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing what the end result looks like.

+1

Yeah, that's a really interesting shaped handle.

My guess, good old fashion brown bakelite .
I am surprised to see the interest in the brown handle. I didn't know enough about vintage handles when placing the bid to know that this one would turn heads.

Thanks for all the ideas. It seems like I would be safe in assuming that at least 2 of these will hold a 24mm knot and that one may take a 26mm. I will have to decide on what to order, but I think that I will order 3 knots from TGN. Two 24mm knots and maybe a 20mm (or so) to start. When the handles get here, I can decide what works (and what else I should order:thumbup1:).
I'm looking forward to seeing what the end result looks like.
I'll be sure to post all the before and afters:thumbup:

It looks like a 18mm knot for the brown one. Still a wonderful brush.Tgn knots run small so you may get lucky with a 20mm. You could always sand the knot base down if worse came to worse.

If you order the knots and you can't use them in those brushes, then you have 2 choices as I see it.
1. Sell the knots to fellow Canadians who are looking for knots.
2. Keep them until you get handles to put them in.

I wouldn't buy the knots unitl I saw the handles, but that's just me.

I am surprised to see the interest in the brown handle. I didn't know enough about vintage handles when placing the bid to know that this one would turn heads.

So...is it bakelite? It looks kinda crusty, what happens if you rub a little soap and water on the handle?

maxman said:
I wouldn't buy the knots unitl I saw the handles, but that's just me.

Nope, that is me too. Very sound advice. I've tried measuring knots in-situ with calipers dialed tight around the base of the bristles and they still come out larger than the bore when cleaned out.

+1...I find some final 'tweaking' is always needed to get the knot seated in the handle...best to measure the handle once the old knot has been removed and the opening bored out/cleaned...you can always go deeper once the knot fits to adjust your loft.

Top Bottom