A Fish Spatula Is the Only Spatula You Need

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Do you have one or two of these in your kitchen
proxy.php

By Carey
Polis - Bon Appétit - 1 Sept 17

"That's right, we said it. And we'll say this, too: If you're only using your fish spatula for fish, you're missing the point.

If my spatulas could talk, they'd be pretty mad at each other (and me, honestly) right now. I've already written an ode to my mini-spatula, and here I am trying to tell you why you should actually buy a fish spatula instead.So let's be clear about the stakes of the situation. In a dream world, you can all the many spatulas that your heart desires. (What, you don't have dreams about kitchen equipment and storage?) But in reality, your utensil crock has limited space. So if you had to choose just one to take with you to a desert island, it should be a fish spatula—and not just because you'll probably be cooking and eating a lot of fish on said island.
Allow me to explain.
proxy.php

While most spatulas are only good for flipping or cutting or stirring, the fish spatula is the unicorn of kitchen utensils in that it's actually quite multi-purpose. It has a thin, almost-sharp edge, which makes it great for sliding under delicate pancakes without messing them up, but also has enough heft to flip them over easily—the same goes for latkes, all kinds of fritters, and even hefty, American-style omelets. The thick [in my humble opinion...wood is the best] handle helps you get a good grip, allowing you better dexterity when you're trying to, say, flip burgers in a slightly-too-small skillet. It's also great for cutlets, bigger vegetables, and anything that needs a little more effort to flip.

Fish Spatula.jpg

But wait, there's more! Because of it's slotted shape, a fish spatula can work in a pinch if you're frying and don't have a slotted spoon or spatula. AND it's sturdy and sharp enough to scrape up whatever crusty bits that end up stuck to your cast-iron or sheet pan. Did we mention that it's a lot easier to clean than most plastic spatulas? You know that cheap (often black) plastic spatula that comes in those all-in-one utensil kits? Yeah, I don't even think I own that anymore. Just throw it out and buy a fish spatula [ASAP]—you'll thank me later".

Fish Spatula - 2.gif

No salmon in sight! That sharp, sturdy fish spatula is just the thing for breaking up ground meat.

Works Cited: Fish Spatula

Fish Spatula - 1.jpg
"A [kitchen] without a fish spatula is like a home without windows". Horrace Mann

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I bet you could tan a hide with one of those things. The air would just flow through that thing.

I just got one of these last week and absolutely love it! It's the perfect spatula to use with my carbon steel pans.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Looks good. I guess I need it. Also constantly in search of something to make perfect scrambled eggs. Don't think this would work.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What good is a right handed fish spatulas to left-handers? That's what I said to my wife after I opened the gift. She said,"but aren't you ambidextrous". I said, "not when there's a critical flip going on."

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a left handed fish spatula. It's the only tool I ever bought in a left handed version.

Truth.
I love my Wusthof 7.5 inch fish spatula.
Maybe seems expensive but, just like their knives, worth the metal they're made with.

Top Bottom