What's new

a few choices

I’ve been trying out various razors, soap, blades and gradually found my kit. By far the easiest and smoothest razor is the Rockwell 6S and for me plate 5. Never any nicks and easily the best of my razors. Close seconds are a fatboy on 5 and a slim on 7 both from Chris at backroadsgold. The Gilletts’s feel less smooth than the 6S but again no nicks and just as close a shave. Muhle R89, well it needed 2 shims to get anywhere near the 3 above so it’s out of the running now. The cheapy Q-shaves I bought and shimmed/adjusted are fine but need care to avoid nicks. Blades I’ve used are Bic, Astra SP, Voskhod, Derby and Feather. I got nicks with the Voskhod, Feather dont last, Derby seem gentle, but for me it’s either BIC or Astra SP in that order. Sharp, smooth, no nicks and are good for multiple shaves. The only soaps I’ve tried are can foams, Noxema cocao butter, Barbisol and gillette, all good, the Proraso range, white green and red and Arko. Arko by far my choice, easy to use, smells good, glides well and cheap. I got a bargain Yaqi synthetic brush from Aliexpress, use an alum block from the local chemist and finish off with Proraso green after shave. The red is nice but leaves my skin feeling a bit sticky. It took a while but I now have my kit for a perfect shave.
IMG_3535.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Always good to dial it in. You've got some tried and true gear there. Enjoy!

I am surprised at your blade choices. The BIC Chrome Platinum blades are some of the very sharpest. They are one of my favorites. Astra SP blades are among the milder blades; they are not even sharp enough to cut my tough beard.

Good going.

I feel exactly the same way about the Proraso Red aftershave. Smells great but too sticky. I much prefer an AS that leaves my face smooth and dry.

Good choice of blades also. 🙂👍

I’m giving the Voskhod blades a second chance! No nicks today however they just don’t feel as good while shaving as Bic or Astra SP. Same finish though.
IMG_3548.jpeg

Top Bottom