What's new

A&E Tertius Proto-Lather Doesn't Last For Second Pass

I've been into wet shaving for about 9 months now, and had the chance to try out Cella and Arko, all with my only brush Semogue 1800 (boar). I've always loaded the brush for a good minute before forming the lather upon my face and have always ended up with a dense lather on the brush which would easily last me for an additional pass, if not two.

Recently I've had the opportunity to try the A&E Tertius with the new soap base, and although I get the same performance from it in the first pass in terms of slickness and cushioning, I can't--for the life of me-- get a second pass from it. With A&E Tertius, it seems as if my brush morphs back into its break-in phase, eating up all the remaining lather before the second pass.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. If it'd be of any help, after soaking the brush I squeeze out almost all the water and starting with a dry brush i dip the tips into warm water as I build the lather on my face. Thank you all!

Tertius is a good soap, and generally A&E soaps don't require much effort. That said, thin (or no) lather usually means one of two things - poor (hard) water, and/or not enough product. I lather in a scuttle, so lathering problems become immediately apparent, and it's easy to add water or soap as needed. You can also not mix enough (not enough time), but that doesn't seem to be the problem here. You also might give a badger brush a try (see forum header :001_smile ) - Semogue makes a great brush, but boar and badger behave differently, and poor results with one type of brush don't necessarily mean the same with a different brush. Good luck!

Tertius is a good soap, and generally A&E soaps don't require much effort. That said, thin (or no) lather usually means one of two things - poor (hard) water, and/or not enough product. I lather in a scuttle, so lathering problems become immediately apparent, and it's easy to add water or soap as needed. You can also not mix enough (not enough time), but that doesn't seem to be the problem here. You also might give a badger brush a try (see forum header :001_smile ) - Semogue makes a great brush, but boar and badger behave differently, and poor results with one type of brush don't necessarily mean the same with a different brush. Good luck!

Lots of parameters that should be taken into account here, will experiment with softer bottled water to determine whether it's the culprit. Also need to get my hands on another type of brush just to assess its effect on lather retention. Have you ever tested a synthetic? Thank you.

Get a synthetic

Any particular make and/or knot? Thank you!

Lots of parameters that should be taken into account here, will experiment with softer bottled water to determine whether it's the culprit. Also need to get my hands on another type of brush just to assess its effect on lather retention. Have you ever tested a synthetic? Thank you.

I’d recommend and AP shave co brush. Cashmere or silk smoke knot but there’s a lot of good brands and knots. The benefit is there is less variables you don’t have to worry about soaking or the hair absorbing lather or water. More consistent harder to break a hair

I’d recommend and AP shave co brush. Cashmere or silk smoke knot but there’s a lot of good brands and knots. The benefit is there is less variables you don’t have to worry about soaking or the hair absorbing lather or water. More consistent harder to break a hair
thank you so much for the advice.

Soft water will definitely improve lathering - and may be the only change needed. I have several synthetics, and they're great brushes, but most will find it just a tad harder to get the same lather with a synthetic with the same mixing time and the same soap. They don't hold water (or lather) like a natural brush, but dry quicker and as noted, may be more predictable. The "cashmere" variety from any manufacturer will be softer, and are certainly worth a try if you want to experiment. Here are some good examples:

Synthetic Brushes

I have a couple of Semogue boar brushes. Although they work quite well with some soaps, there are other soaps that do the same thing noted in the original post. If that happens, I grab another type of brush. I recommend that every one have at least one synthetic brush in their den as synthetic brushes will normally lather any soap or cream. When I am evaluating a soap for the first time, I always use a synthetic brush until I get more experience with the soap.

The Ariana and Evans Tertius is made in the base with strained yogurt (aka The Club). It is an excellent soap base. Although I have not yet tried it, Peter has tweaked the soap base to provide even better performance. The listed soap ingredients are the same, but the exact proportions have been altered.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
@Sirzat , your issue sounds exactly like how modern Williams performs for me. Looks great for pass-1 but has totally discombobulated for pass-2, whether it's in the brush or in a lather bowl. Boar, badger, horse, synth.... the brush didn't make a difference.

That said, I got GREAT lathers with it when I was on vacation in Mexico (I live outside Toronto, ON in Canada), so it has to be something in the water for me. Could simply be the same for you.

Find soaps (and creams too, I suppose :tongue_sm ) that work for YOU in YOUR HOME. It doesn't matter how great we say product-x is, if it's an underperformer for you.

Pretty good rundown of 3 types of brushes (horse is discussed but not demonstrated, and I have a horsehair brush which lathers great and has all the maintenance issues he discusses) - badger, boar and synthetic, and I agree with his points. Also a little discussion of brush maintenance. It all comes down to your technique and what you prefer - as he says, the major determiates of lather are soap and water: any brush will lather soap adequately, given time and proper technique.

Brush Lather Test

Top Bottom