What's new

A Comparison Between The German & Egyptian Manufactured Bolzano Blades

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Terrific! Now that's Bosc Science all right, well done!

Not too sure how I managed it but in replying to your post I somehow managed to delete my post for Day 8 shave. I'll attempt to recreate it tonight :)
Did you post Day 8 to B&B and delete it here?
Cognitive dissonance at its finest. :cornut:

This is definitely BOSC at an advanced level. Big Nurse would be proud. :wink2:

@Cal , if @Neilzebub only uses one side per shave, his statement may be correct.

▲ Translated by me:
"Cal, if Neil only uses one side per shave, David's statement may be correct."

:001_unsur I believe you may be taking BOSC to a higher level still! :w00t:
Thank you, Fellow BOSCovites. :letterk1:

Did you post Day 8 to B&B and delete it here?
When I replied to your post (my reply being post #53) it included my previous post within the body of my reply and somehow in removing that my SOTD #8 got deleted.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
When I replied to your post (my reply being post #53) it included my previous post within the body of my reply and somehow in removing that my SOTD #8 got deleted.
Not sure what happened? I don't see your 10/14 shave at all - even in a quotation on another reply.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20211015_160246~2.jpg

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 v4
Blade: Egyptian Bolzano (3)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
20211015_160320~2.jpg

Day 11 -BOSC SCIENCE: Shave 3 on the fresh Egyptian Bolzano, first one in the Mühle Rocca R95 v4. Started with my usual Steep Angle using the Mühle Rocca R95 v4 and quickly changed over to a Shallow Angle for my standard 3-passes + touchups. Again, there is audible feedback from the Egyptian blade. Smooth, Efficient and Effective. Solid DFS. Nice and comfortable. As with yesterday's shave with the Piccolo, I feel like this shave was another step closer to understanding what the Egyptian blade needs to produce a good shave. :thumbsup:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

IMG_0654.JPG

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Egyptian Bolzano (4)
Brush: Semogue SOC Mistura AKA Milagre
Bowl: Sculpta Ceramics scuttle
Lather: Salter Wild Rose
Aftershave: Speick
IMG_0655.JPG

Day 8 I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of this razor/blade combo. Achieved very close to a DFS shave with less feedback from the alum. As I've said previously, I intend to compare the two blades in the Piccolo at a later date as I cannot decide which worked best in this razor. @never-stop-learning David I'd like to thank you for the chance to do this experiment -- at this point I cannot remember whose idea it was or if it was a collaborative effort. Either way it's been fun AND educational. What a great way to learn!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1346542
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Brush: Semogue SOC Mistura AKA Milagre
Bowl: Sculpta Ceramics scuttle
Lather: Salter Wild Rose
Aftershave: Speick
View attachment 1346545
Day 8 I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of this razor/blade combo. Achieved very close to a DFS shave with less feedback from the alum. As I've said previously, I intend to compare the two blades in the Piccolo at a later date as I cannot decide which worked best in this razor. @never-stop-learning David I'd like to thank you for the chance to do this experiment -- at this point I cannot remember whose idea it was or if it was a collaborative effort. Either way it's been fun AND educational. What a great way to learn!
Definitely a collaborative effort, my friend. :)

A very valuable lesson learned: Different shaving tools can require different techniques and/or associated tools that are complementary.

I prefer shaving Steep, so that's where I naturally start. By not recognizing that the Egyptian Bolzano needs a Shallow Angle to achieve the best performance, I got some suboptimal shaves and almost wrote off what is actually a pretty good blade. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20211016_181121~2.jpg

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 v4
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods
20211016_181211~2.jpg

Day 12 -BOSC SCIENCE: Shave 4 on the fresh Egyptian Bolzano, second one in the Mühle Rocca R95 v4. Started with a Shallow Angle for my standard 3-passes + touchups. As usual, there is audible feedback from the Egyptian blade - albeit less going Shallow than when going Steep. Smooth, Efficient and Effective. As with yesterday's shave: Solid DFS. Nice and comfortable. :thumbsup:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

@never-stop-learning have you concluded on the test?

I got relatively good results with the Egyptian Bolzano and Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 combo but going shave neutral. I do shoot for a near BBS and sometimes create nicks by shaving too close.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@never-stop-learning have you concluded on the test?

I got relatively good results with the Egyptian Bolzano and Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 combo but going shave neutral. I do shoot for a near BBS and sometimes create nicks by shaving too close.
Gave myself a break today and went with my Vector SB/Kai Protouch MG kit today.

Still have two Egyptian blades with one shave left (I change DE blades after 5 - 6 shaves, except Feathers which I change after 3 shaves) and two fresh ones. After arriving at using a Shallow Angle with the Egyptian blade, I want to try them with my Blackland Ti Blackbird, Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB and a couple of other standbys to flesh out my impressions.

For now, I am pleased with the results I got with the Egyptian Blade in the Fatip Piccolo SE OC and the Mühle Rocca R95 v4 (again, when using a Shallow Angle). :)

Between the Egyptian Bolzano and the German Bolzano, I'm still partial to the German blade. :)

Still have two Egyptian blades with one shave left (I change DE blades after 5 - 6 shaves, except Feathers which I change after 3 shaves) and two fresh ones. After arriving at using a Shallow Angle with the Egyptian blade, I want to try them with my Blackland Ti Blackbird, Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB and a couple of other standbys to flesh out my impressions.

For now, I am pleased with the results I got with the Egyptian Blade in the Fatip Piccolo SE OC and the Mühle Rocca R95 v4 (again, when using a Shallow Angle). :)

Between the Egyptian Bolzano and the German Bolzano, I'm still partial to the German blade. :)
The Egyptian Bolzano is in the top 3 or 4 medium sharp blades I have tested so far in the 3ONE6. I want to give the Shark SS and Shark SC another chance before concluding on the first group of blades. Then I bought a second group with blades from Lord and ASCO. The fun continues.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Egyptian Bolzano is in the top 3 or 4 medium sharp blades I have tested so far in the 3ONE6. I want to give the Shark SS and Shark SC another chance before concluding on the first group of blades. Then I bought a second group with blades from Lord and ASCO. The fun continues.
Indeed it does. And I'm also eager to see how the Egyptian blade reacts in some of my other preferred razors. :)

Shallow angle means I am out... Well have devoted myself to Sharks anyways lol but have about 20 German Bolzanos left... I did enjoy them...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shallow angle means I am out... Well have devoted myself to Sharks anyways lol but have about 20 German Bolzanos left... I did enjoy them...
I am a Steep Angle shaver, no doubt there. :)

Still interesting to see what it takes to get the best performance from each component, and I want to understand more about why this blade exhibits more audible feedback and requires a Shallow Angle.

I am a Steep Angle shaver, no doubt there. :)

Still interesting to see what it takes to get the best performance from each component, and I want to understand more about why this blade exhibits more audible feedback and requires a Shallow Angle.
It has to be something to do with the bevel(s). If the final bevel starts higher from the final edge, I would think it would have more flexibility. As I understand it, noise is caused by blade vibration. It is more likely to occur at very steep angles because you are catching the hair with the side of the blade, deflecting and setting it into motion. This could also explain why shallow is working better. Less vibration should produce a better shave. All of this is assuming the razor as a constant and not the source of the noise.

I am a shallower shaver and gravitate toward blades like this such as Nacet. It might be a good time to review the edge images from @South Dakota Guy. I also might be completely full of it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It has to be something to do with the bevel(s). If the final bevel starts higher from the final edge, I would think it would have more flexibility. As I understand it, noise is caused by blade vibration. It is more likely to occur at very steep angles because you are catching the hair with the side of the blade, deflecting and setting it into motion. This could also explain why shallow is working better. Less vibration should produce a better shave. All of this is assuming the razor as a constant and not the source of the noise.

I am a shallower shaver and gravitate toward blades like this such as Nacet. It might be a good time to review the edge images from @South Dakota Guy. I also might be completely full of it.
From what I'm reading and being told, bevels and also blade thickness impact audible feedback and acceptable shaving angle.

My personal preference is to go steep. Gillette published some info on the question.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Going shallow with the Egyptian Bolzano in the ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal (CH1 and CR1 SB plates) razor produced wonderful results. I may actually prefer the CR1 plate in this configuration.

CH1:
20211019:
20211019_085940~2.jpg

CR1:
20211020:
20211020_120148~2.jpg

I'm going Steep with the German blade in the CR1 for today's shave. :)

Top Bottom