never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20211002_073314~2.jpg
20211002_073347~2.jpg

20211002_073440~2.jpg

Can everyone see these pics?

20211007 Day 3

First use of the Egyptian Bolzano. Again fantastic synergy. Terrific glide and an excellent shave.
Bit early to tell but I think the German has a slight edge in this trial (pun intended).
I did notice more feedback from the alum block but that could well have been me overdoing things. Over to you @never-stop-learning, I eagerly anticipate your report!

IMG_0624.JPG

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Blade: Egyptian Bolzano (1)
Brush: Semogue Owner's Club Mistura AKA Milagre (miracle).
Bowl: Pereira Shavery Scuttle
Lather: Rasozero Agrumella
Aftershave/Fragrance: Imperial Bergamot

IMG_0625.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It appears that the issue was with the copied pictures.

I cleaned up all of the troubleshooting posts.

If anyone is still having issues, please log the issue in the Site Feedback Forum so it can be addressed.

Thank you for your consideration and understanding. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20211007_140934~2.jpg

Blade: Egyptian Bolzano (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm Original BOSS)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
20211007_141024~2.jpg

Day 3. First use of the Egyptian Bolzano. With the exception of the new Egyptian Bolzano blade, today's shaving components are the same as yesterday. Went with my usual Steep Angle, 3-passes + touchups. More audible feedback with the Egyptian blade. Sure sounded like it was cutting and it readily mowed through my whiskers. A very smooth shave. The two blades feel slightly different on my face but are, overall, closer than I expected. First Shave Results: Medium++ Efficient, Medium++ Smooth and Medium++ Effective. DFS to DFS+ shave. I'm looking forward to shave #2. :thumbup:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20211008_104945~2.jpg

Blade: Egyptian Bolzano (2)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman VIBR
20211008_105040~2.jpg

Day 4. Second use of the Egyptian Bolzano. Today's main shaving kit is the same as yesterday. Went with my usual Steep Angle, 3-passes + touchups. As with yesterday, there is more audible feedback with the Egyptian blade than with the German blade. Today's shave was pretty much the same as yesterday's shave, and that is a good thing. Medium++ efficient, smooth, medium++ effective. The two blades feel slightly different on my face, with the Egyptian blade feeling more efficient. So, preliminary thoughts: Both Egyptian and German are good blades that provide very satisfying shaves. In the Mühle Rocca R95 v4, the Egyptian blade feels more efficient. The German blade feels smoother. I'm really curious to see how both blades perform in the Fatip Piccolo SE. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

IMG_0629.JPG

Blade: Egyptian Bolzano (2)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar 3
Bowl: Sculpta Ceramics Scuttle (from Stoke On Trent, UK)
Lather: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood
Aftershave: PAA Supreme Sandalwood Science.
IMG_0631.JPG

Day 4, the experiment continues! Much less alum feedback today. Very very satisfactory results, particularly in my trouble spots. As David notes, much more audible feedback. This would certainly be amongst my top shaves to date. Again early days but I believe the Egyptian blade has the edge here. Really, really like this combo, looking forward to testing the two blades in the Fatip Piccolo.

Happy shaves people!

IMG_0632.JPG

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: German Bolzano (3)
Brush: SOC Mistura Cherrywood handle
Lather: Rasozero Spiffero
Aftershave:Speick AS

IMG_0639.JPG

Day 5 and apologies for the picture quality, I must've messed up the camera settings, darned if I know what I did though. It's been sometime since I've used the Piccolo, this was a rough shave. I suspect a combination of my technique being off and skin irritation. I had a few bumps that turned into a work out for my styptic pencil. Quite a bit of feedback from the alum block. Still, a very smooth AND close shave, I rather like this combo.

I will be working over the holiday and it would probably be a good idea to give my skin a bit of a rest. So my next reports may be somewhat delayed. Happy shaves all.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1342879

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: German Bolzano (3)
Brush: SOC Mistura Cherrywood handle
Lather: Rasozero Spiffero
Aftershave:Speick AS

View attachment 1342880

Day 5 and apologies for the picture quality, I must've messed up the camera settings, darned if I know what I did though. It's been sometime since I've used the Piccolo, this was a rough shave. I suspect a combination of my technique being off and skin irritation. I had a few bumps that turned into a work out for my styptic pencil. Quite a bit of feedback from the alum block. Still, a very smooth AND close shave, I rather like this combo.

I will be working over the holiday and it would probably be a good idea to give my skin a bit of a rest. So my next reports may be somewhat delayed. Happy shaves all.
Bummer that you experienced a less than optimal shave. 😕

I'm shaving in a few and will post my results shortly.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20211009_194402~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Piccolo SE OC
Blade: German Bolzano (4)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Day 5. First day of the German Bolzano in the Fatip Piccolo SE. The German Bolzano has been my go to blade in my Fatip razors for some time, so I am quite familiar with this combination. Went with my usual Steep Angle, 3-passes + touchups. Wonderful combination of razor and blade. Medium++ Efficient, Medium+++ Smooth, Medium+++ Effective. This combination is a total pleasure to use. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Maybe the new Egyptian Bolzanos are thinner than the German ones. Do you or Neil have a micrometer to check their thicknesses?
That is a good idea. I have a digital micrometer. Not sure if it has sufficient sensitivity to measure the blade thickness. Will definitely try.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Maybe the new Egyptian Bolzanos are thinner than the German ones. Do you or Neil have a micrometer to check their thicknesses?

That is a good idea. I have a digital micrometer. Not sure if it has sufficient sensitivity to measure the blade thickness. Will definitely try.

Unfortunately I do not.
@Cal - Unfortunately, as I suspected, the inexpensive digital caliper I have lacks the sensitivity to measure the thickness of a razor blade. :(

If someone in the USA has a caliper up to the task, I can mail you one of each blade to measure. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Understood. Unfortunately, all I have is this caliper:
Digital Caliper, Sangabery 0-6 inches Caliper with Large LCD Screen, Auto - Off Feature, Inch and Millimeter Conversion Measuring Tool, Perfect for Household/DIY Measurment, etc HERE.
:eek6: David, I can only say that I am SHOCKED!

:hand: You, as a serious shaving equipment aficionado, SHOULD MUST have one! They take up very little space and are not expensive (unless you want extreme accuracy... i.e. to the nth decimal place).

Micrometer-1_2021-10-11.jpg

Micrometer-2_2021-10-11.jpg

Please excuse the blurry pics. :blushing:

Top Bottom