The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Say what :a47:...a bourbon storage
proxy.php
No, come on now...you're joking right
proxy.php

[FONT=&amp]Fear of a Bourbon Shortage Puts Enthusiasts Over a Barrel[/FONT]

Simpsonville, S.C. - 9 Dec 14

"On a recent Saturday, Edward Johnson hurried into Harvard’s Liquor & Wine and made a beeline toward a 4-foot-wide section of bourbon. There he bypassed the Old Crow and Jim Beam and reached up to grab one of four stubby bottles of Blanton’s, a wheat bourbon. At the register, the cashier had a 10-year-old bottle of Henry McKenna Single Barrel waiting for him. It was set aside that morning.

Mr. Johnson shelled out $107 for the bourbon and then headed to a nearby Sam’s Club, where he spent about $100 on diapers for his 19-month-old daughter. People observing this routine might wonder if he has a drinking problem. He doesn’t. What he has is a serious case of anxiety.

It began two years ago, when Mr. Johnson and his brother-in-law heard of an alleged bourbon shortage. He has been making monthly liquor and diaper runs ever since.

“It scared us and fear is a motivating factor,” said Mr. Johnson, a 36-year-old managing partner of Old Colony Furniture, who now has a stash of about 50 bottles of bourbon. The collection, he says, grew out of an urge to make sure there would never be a time when “I wanted bourbon and couldn’t get it.” After a while, he says, the habit “took on a life of its own.”

He isn’t alone. Panic has gripped bourbon enthusiasts across the country, and they are amassing stockpiles of it, hoping to guard

against shortages and price hikes.
proxy.php

Greg Gilbert of Lovettsville, Va., built a basement bunker for his 700 bottles of bourbon. He also joined a private club so he could bypass retailers and buy barrels straight from distillers. Joe Conner, a warehouse worker from Rockford, Ill., created a spreadsheet for his 120 bottles of bourbon so he could keep track of what he had bought, what he had opened and what he needed to purchase.

Steffen Braüner, a surveyor from Denmark, travels to Las Vegas for a whiskey-tasting event so he can embark on an annual bourbon hunt.

Last year, he drove from Las Vegas to Utah, hoping that in a state filled with teetotalers he would be able to find a bottle of the extremely limited George T. Stagg. “There’s much less of what’s good to buy,” says Mr. Braüner, who returned to Denmark empty-handed.

Bourbon’s popularity has surged ever since the amber liquor became a star of Mad Men. Magazines such as GQ and Bon Appétit have devoted pages to articles on bourbon cocktails. The Manhattan and Old Fashioned have become fashionable again. President Barack Obama recently proposed a “Bourbon Summit” with Kentucky Senator Mitch McConnell.

“[Bourbon] has gone away from being seen as an old man drink,” says Mahesh Patel, a structural engineer who owns 4,000 bottles of [the stuff] and sponsors an annual tasting conference in Las Vegas.

Sales of bourbon are growing at a dizzying rate. Domestic sales of Kentucky-made bourbon have increased 36% in the last five years to $1.5 billion. Exports rose 56% to $300 million from 2010, according to the Distilled Spirits Council of the U.S.".

proxy.php

Read More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/inside-the-ticker/fear-of-a-bourbon-shortage-puts-enthusiasts-over-a-barrel/ar-BBgtPMn

proxy.php
"Keep your friends close and your bourbon closer" Old Bourbon Proverb

Last edited:
After my recent trip to KY and struggling to find any premium bottle of bourbon, except for the distillers collection of woodford, I'd agree that it is your fault;)

I was rather shocked, my quest to find a really nice bottle of bourbon turned into getting a couple bottles of mid price 30-50 dollars instead. I looked in a large number of places too, liqour barn, a number of mom and pop joints etc.

(I personally blame the hipsters)

I am lucky to have a store which stocks good and great bourbons. I found this on the shelf and left its 10 yr old bother sitting alone on the shelf. While I like this very much and it is very good. however I need some rye in my bourbon. After two small glasses I had to switch, it was just to sweet. There are some mid-priced bourbons which I just picked up that are really good. Elmer t Lee, as well as Sazerac Rye.

$20141121_192700_zpszbilw0cn.jpg

After my recent trip to KY and struggling to find any premium bottle of bourbon, except for the distillers collection of woodford, I'd agree that it is your fault;)

I was rather shocked, my quest to find a really nice bottle of bourbon turned into getting a couple bottles of mid price 30-50 dollars instead. I looked in a large number of places too, liqour barn, a number of mom and pop joints etc.

(I personally blame the hipsters)

$50 is a really nice bottle of bourbon, in most people's book. What exactly were you hoping to find? Mid-price bourbon is more like $30-35, and you can get some really outstanding bourbons for that price. I'm not trying to be snarky, so please don't read that into it; just honestly curious what you were looking for but couldn't locate.

Of course, you guys would kill me if I told you what I paid last year for the bottle of ORVW 10 yr in my cabinet.

$50 is a really nice bottle of bourbon, in most people's book. What exactly were you hoping to find? Mid-price bourbon is more like $30-35, and you can get some really outstanding bourbons for that price. I'm not trying to be snarky, so please don't read that into it; just honestly curious what you were looking for but couldn't locate.

Of course, you guys would kill me if I told you what I paid last year for the bottle of ORVW 10 yr in my cabinet.

+1. Buffalo Trace (when I can get it) at Binny's is $24.99/750ml

No offense taken.

Was looking for something pretty special, something I could find only in KY, such as a Buffalo Trace antique collection or something other in that vein. (Something on this list other than Angel's Envy) It was for a friend of mine who recently lost a kid, so was a little irked that I couldn't find something pretty unique, which in the past I've been able to. IMO I think I came at a bad time of the year for them, usually when I have more time to look it's in July which seems to be better, then again it could just be that bourbons are really popular right now.

Ended up getting a bottle of Corner Creek and a bottle of Rock Hill Farms IMO not great and I know there are better bourbons for the prices I paid, but just got them anyways.

I haven't, my stockpile's pretty good for now.

and Rye is terrible, no one should ever buy any. Especially Whistle Pig. terrible stuff that.

No offense taken.

Was looking for something pretty special, something I could find only in KY, such as a Buffalo Trace antique collection or something other in that vein. (Something on this list other than Angel's Envy) It was for a friend of mine who recently lost a kid, so was a little irked that I couldn't find something pretty unique, which in the past I've been able to. IMO I think I came at a bad time of the year for them, usually when I have more time to look it's in July which seems to be better, then again it could just be that bourbons are really popular right now.

Ended up getting a bottle of Corner Creek and a bottle of Rock Hill Farms IMO not great and I know there are better bourbons for the prices I paid, but just got them anyways.
I live in central KY and also work in the wine/spirits business. So with that being said, I hate to be "Debbie Downer" but this is pretty much the last state in the country where you would want to look for any type of rare release bourbons. For some reason a lot of people seem to think that, hey, since it's all distilled in KY it must be easy to find there! Wrong! The allocations have gotten so ridiculously small for retailers that the bottles quite often do not make it to the shelf.

Also, the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection is released once a year in the Fall.

Just FYI...

This is such an odd situation concerning bourbon. I am certainly no connoisseur of fine spirit but have a basic understanding of the various types of whisky/whiskey and their origins. I am also old enough to remember when whisky meant Scotch and whiskey meant Irish malt or worse yet, American bourbon. In any event, real whisky drinkers imbibed Scotch and the rest of the Plebeians swilled all the other muck. They certainly weren't going to be caught dead with a bottle of bourbon. A lot of it was and is simple snobbery but that was the narrative twenty or thirty years ago. Man have times changed. The appreciation of American spirits of all types has been nothing but meteoric. It stared with good craft beer and has progressed to the point that now there are blokes out there who wait on a certain release of bourbon or rye whiskey like it may come with the holy grail! And some of the prices they fetch can be a bit staggering. I hate to see the hoarding but good on the makers for putting out such high demand items.

I live in central KY and also work in the wine/spirits business. So with that being said, I hate to be "Debbie Downer" but this is pretty much the last state in the country where you would want to look for any type of rare release bourbons. For some reason a lot of people seem to think that, hey, since it's all distilled in KY it must be easy to find there! Wrong! The allocations have gotten so ridiculously small for retailers that the bottles quite often do not make it to the shelf.

Also, the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection is released once a year in the Fall.

Just FYI...

I'm starting to find that out. When I first got into the bourbon thing 10-15 years ago, it didn't seem to be so, but now it most definitely is. I'm consistently finding better selections of items up here, usually for much better prices too. You'd think it being KY and all it'd be the opposite. :(

Thanks for the advice about the release in the fall, perhaps I was just being hopeful or maybe the "bourbon shortage" started to kick in this summer. . .

I am lucky to have a store which stocks good and great bourbons. I found this on the shelf and left its 10 yr old bother sitting alone on the shelf. While I like this very much and it is very good. however I need some rye in my bourbon. After two small glasses I had to switch, it was just to sweet. There are some mid-priced bourbons which I just picked up that are really good. Elmer t Lee, as well as Sazerac Rye.

View attachment 527741

The big question is, how much did you pay for it? I was on a business trip this week to MA. I wondered into a large well stocked liquor store and they had Old Rip Van Winkle 10-$350, Van Winkle 12-$599.99, PVW 15-$1,100, PVW 20-$1,900. I picked up a bottle of BTAC Thomas H Handy Rye for $225.00. They wanted $499.99 for the BTAC George T Stagg. I drove down the road to another store and they had George T Stagg for $299.99 so I took the last bottle. They had all the PVW too but the pricing was very high. I'm not asking the price you paid to be a wise guy, because if I didn't have more Christmas shopping to do for the kids I would have taken the bottle of Van Winkle 12. I'm just curious to see what it's going for in the "wild" in other parts of the country. I also understand if you don't want to answer.

The big question is, how much did you pay for it? I was on a business trip this week to MA. I wondered into a large well stocked liquor store and they had Old Rip Van Winkle 10-$350, Van Winkle 12-$599.99, PVW 15-$1,100, PVW 20-$1,900. I picked up a bottle of BTAC Thomas H Handy Rye for $225.00. They wanted $499.99 for the BTAC George T Stagg. I drove down the road to another store and they had George T Stagg for $299.99 so I took the last bottle. They had all the PVW too but the pricing was very high. I'm not asking the price you paid to be a wise guy, because if I didn't have more Christmas shopping to do for the kids I would have taken the bottle of Van Winkle 12. I'm just curious to see what it's going for in the "wild" in other parts of the country. I also understand if you don't want to answer.
Those prices are absurd.

Even Stagg @ $300 is price-gouging. Should be about $80 maybe $100 tops.

Your right but the days of any of the BTAC whiskeys going for the actual price are done in my area. The retailers know there's a high demand. I already had someone offer me $450 for it. It's crazy.

Top Bottom