What's new

A B&B exclusive contest

One of most cherished Christmas time memories, came when I was in the Army. I was stationed in Germany, the USO director volunteered me to be Santa at an orphanage. A bunch us bought gifts for each kid at the orphanage. The orphanage was very despairing.
I got set-up to play Santa, the kids came one by one and the gifts were handed out.

I noticed one girl that was very shy off to the side, she did not to come over to me. I saved a gift that had a doll in it for her. All the kids came up expect her. The director encouraged to come to me. Slowly she came, she was very wary of me. She noticed the the kids with their open gifts.

Finally mustered up her courage came to me. She sat in my lap, opened the gift on my lap. The expression of thankfulness in her eyes did not need any words. I remember the tears welled up in my eyes. I never seen such joy in someone.

Christmas in Hawaii! My whole family was there to celebrate my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. The trip was unforgettable.

-- Sammy

My most memorable Christmas is not the happiest. My mom left when I was 16. It was a hard year for everyone, but that Christmas brought the rest of the family closer together!

Thanks for the opportunity. :)

I'm in. Most memorable Christmas (1976) was when parent bought me a full peewee league football outfit which I immediately put on and wore for the entire day (including helment on for XMas dinner!).

Awesome exclusive. I just stopped at West Coast Shaving and picked myself up a bottle of your Bay Rum.

My most memorable Christmas was the first year my wife and I were married. Except for her dad, the entire family was gone that year so it was just the three of us. Anyway, dad decided he wanted to BBQ a turkey for our Christmas dinner so he spent 3 days brineing the bird and woke up early to get it going "low and slow". After a few hours on the rotisserie it was looking beautiful but still needed a little more time to finish cooking. We were all in the living room drinking wine and enjoying each others company when I noticed a "flickering" light coming from the back yard so I got up to investigate. As I stepped onto the patio I immediately saw 3 foot flames shooting out from the BBQ with the Turkey completely engulfed. I ran back into the kitchen, grabbed the fire extinguisher, dad grabbed the hose and after turning off the gas we quickly put out the fire. Needless to say the Turkey was ruined. So without saying a word dad walked back in the house, grabbed his wallet and keys, and out the front door. He returned about 30 minutes later with a couple of Chickens for dinner from Boston Market as that was the only thing open.

We now all laugh about it every year as we recount the story, but we were pretty disappointed that year because that Turkey looked great before it met it's demise. It's been 20 years since that happened, but I can still see, in my minds eye, the flames and the look on dad's face as he walked out the front door.

BTW, While he was out getting the Chickens I was able to determine the cause of the fire. One of the pipes that feeds the BBQ burners had corroded and burst. This rupture was exactly behind the bird. So instead of a nice, steady, flame; we had a blow torch aimed directly at the bottom of the Turkey. That BBQ went into the trash that week and I bought him a new one for Fathers Day.

The second most memorable was a few years later. My wife and I were hosting the whole family at our new house for the first time and my mother and aunt, who never get along, decided to start yet another of their arguments in the middle of the kitchen. This culminated in both of them telling the other "if you don't like it then you can just leave". Not wanting them to ruin our first Christmas I stepped in and proclaimed: "Actually this is MY house, so you can stop the arguing or you can BOTH get out". With that my grandfather, who is one of the quietest men I have ever known, walked over to me, put his arm around my shoulder, looked his daughters and then me in the eye and said "Son, I couldn't have said it better myself; welcome to manhood!"

Last edited:
Random.org has selected...

MoJoe as our winner! Send me your name and address so I can get your FREE gift set on the way.

Thanks to all for entering the contest and a Merry Christmas to all!

The Captain

Top Bottom