What's new

8k DMT, questions and first impression.

First, the diamond side scratches from steel... I was under the impression this didn't happen as the surface was 100% coated with diamonds. Just want to make sure mine isn't missing patches of diamonds. Is anyone else able to scratch the surface of their continuous EE?

Second, I see why people have complained about DMT's feedback. My 1.2k and 600 interrupteds' feedback just fine, but this thing has no tactile feedback and unreliable audio.

On the good side of things, it works just fine as a follower to my 1.2k. Once I account juggling three stones around, it's actually faster than my 3-5-8k set. Not to mention that it makes the honing process much simpler and it's basically mess free. Having pure steel slurry up until my 10k+ finishers is really nice. Unless I notice some serious problem in the next few uses, I'm probably going to go to a strict DMT setup other than my finishers.

It is good to hear that it works well and fast. I am looking to buy a D8EE soon. I really like my 1200 diamond plate. I thought the 8K would be a good compliment to it.

I use the DMT EE before I hit the Norton 8k. The DMT cuts faster but I like the edge I get off the Norton a bit better, then I go on to Chinese 12k. I dig it.

The surface of a DMT is not 100% coated with diamond particles, this wouldn´t make sense.
Think of it like this:

The DMT have a Nickel alloyed steel plate that acts like a "glue".
So think of it as a surface with wet glue on it.

Now you go and sprinkle diamond particles all over it.

There you have your DMT.
So you are probably not missing any diamond patches.

You probably think the DMT has a thick layer of diamond on it,
so the surface would be 100% diamond and unscratchable.
But that´s not the case. You just have diamond particles embedded in steel.
Just like in normal stones only that the steel binder won´t give away sharpening particles.

Here you can see a DMT XXC magnified. The same applies to the DMT EE:

http://zknives.com/knives/knimgtmpl.shtml?/images/knives/macro/stones/d8xxc_80x.jpg

thanks to zknives.com

Not to metion, even if the surface is completely packed with diamond particles, the surface still won't be completely smooth because diamonds are basically hard rocks, which means facets. There are going to be edges everywhere. Hence scratches.

I had the same worry with my EE when I first started to use it, but I havent had any issues since so I wouldnt worry about it.

Question: Have you broken the stone in? The DMT stones should be broken in with knives or lapping of whetstones before you take a razor to them. I did to mine and it works much better after.

Not to metion, even if the surface is completely packed with diamond particles, the surface still won't be completely smooth because diamonds are basically hard rocks, which means facets. There are going to be edges everywhere. Hence scratches.

I think what Ian meant was the surface of his DMT plate was scratched by steel (probably the razor he was honing).

I think what Ian meant was the surface of his DMT plate was scratched by steel (probably the razor he was honing).

I think what may happen is some of the original diamonds may not be completely embedded, these few break out, and scartch across the face of the hone.

My EE has those scratches too. No big deal.

Yeah, that's exactly the conclusion I came to Seraph.

I didn't bother breaking it in since they now include a note saying that they are broken in at the factory. I broke in my previous 3 DMT's though (they didn't include the note). I haven't noticed any problem yet, but I've only used it on one razor so far.

Where did you buy yours?

It looks like SRD has them for $69. Rustic Sportsman has them for $66.50. It will be pretty hard to beat that deal. But thought I'd ask just in case you found a super cheap place to pick them up.

I think what may happen is some of the original diamonds may not be completely embedded, these few break out, and scartch across the face of the hone.

Yep, my E and EE both have them as well. Are you guys using the 8" plates?

I thought DMT only made the EE in 8". Am I wrong on that?

There was a limited run of 6" continuous EE's available with the DMT 80th anniversary set. Unfortunately, the set also came with the 6" interrupted surface Extra Fine and Fine (which I don't particularly care for).

I like the smaller 6" plates because I hold the the hone in my hand and those 8" plates get mighty heavy.

Yah, I've got the continuous DMT8EE.

My F and E are interrupted duosharp, neither they nor my 8" continuous XC ever got scratched.

Yah, I've got the continuous DMT8EE.

My F and E are interrupted duosharp, neither they nor my 8" continuous XC ever got scratched.

Do you like honing on the interrupted surface? It works fine, but annoys me for some reason. Oddly enough, I don't like swiss cheese either :tongue_sm

I prefer it. The feedback is really in a whole other class than these continuous. It's a shame they don't do interrupted EE's.

Ah ok I misread then. Mine have a few scratches on them as well, but I broke them in with a barong before the razor so that might be why :)

My 1200 is the DMT11EF:thumbup1: A full eleven inches of bevel setting goodness!

The 8EE is of course, 8"...

I had the 6" set for a while, and liked them all, but wanted some more "throw" for each stroke, especially bevel setting.

My 1200 is the DMT11EF:thumbup1: A full eleven inches of bevel setting goodness!

The 8EE is of course, 8"...

I had the 6" set for a while, and liked them all, but wanted some more "throw" for each stroke, especially bevel setting.

Damn, I bet it takes 2 laps to set a bevel on that 11 incher!

I prefer it. The feedback is really in a whole other class than these continuous. It's a shame they don't do interrupted EE's.

DMT does make a 4" model (W4EE, the tan one in my current avatar). I've used it on razors. Works o.k. and packs well with a barber hone for traveling.

Top Bottom