What's new

7 O’clock Yellows- now I get it

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't used Yellows in a while. In the past, I've found them a little harsh on the first or second shave - but then they smooth out and provide world-class, delightful, awesome shaves. Next time I change my blade, I'm going with Yellows. Thanks.
:thumbup1:

I agree the Yellows are very sharp but it's the smoothness that really make them stand out. To me they are sharp as a Feather and smooth as an Astra. Best all around blade.
I agree. I finished my second sampler, so I’ve tried about 20-25 different blades by now. It’s fun using different combinations of blade and razor, but if I want a fail safe, great shave, I reach for a Yellow every time now.

The Brotherhood of the Yellow sticks together!

I'm up to 400. I've gone a little crazy with Yellow acquisition. I promised myself after the Great Polsilver Hoarding that I wouldn't do that again. :mad2:
I'm all for brotherhoods, but if it was any color ... but yellow ... :tongue1:

Today, I tried this blade for the very first time and wow it sure was great! I got BBS with zero irritation. Very comfortable. It was only just today I tried, but it was so pleasant that I think I’ll have to go ahead and add these.

Now that my technique is pretty consistent, I’m trying different blades. Out of the 10 I’ve tried so far, this one has been the best but I still have many more to test in my big sample order.

What razor did you use your Yellow in?
Today, I tried this blade for the very first time and wow it sure was great! I got BBS with zero irritation. Very comfortable. It was only just today I tried, but it was so pleasant that I think I’ll have to go ahead and add these.

Now that my technique is pretty consistent, I’m trying different blades. Out of the 10 I’ve tried so far, this one has been the best but I still have many more to test in my big sample order.

I keep hearing such good things about these. I am going to try them the next time I shave. So far my two favorite blades are nacet and rapira platinum lux. Both to me are smooth and sharp. But both are a bit harsh the first shave. The yellow blades how are they on the first shave.

What razor did you use your Yellow in?

I used in a 39C Slant but I’m sure I’d get same results in one of my standard razors.

I wish I had more of these blades. For some reason only one shipped with the samples when I ordered two of each. I doubt it was a fluke that it worked so well for me, based on the many other positive comments I see. I’m just a little surprised because I also used many of the big name blades but this one is the stand out, in my use, so far.

I don't like the Yellow's. They pull and tug like hell on the first pass. On the second and finish passes they are very smooth, but the final shave is very rough. Not worth the problems for me.

I've recently glommed on to the Gillette Platinum as my possible new # 1 blade to replace the Yellow. The fight has been brutal and I'm not sure which contender will come out on top in the long run.

I've decided to work through a hundred of each before I call a winner and put in a big re-order.

2019-06-30 12.14.43.jpg

I've recently glommed on to the Gillette Platinum as my possible new # 1 blade to replace the Yellow. The fight has been brutal and I'm not sure which contender will come out on top in the long run.

I've decided to work through a hundred of each before I call a winner and put in a big re-order.

View attachment 995099

What are these objects that you are storing your blades in and how do they work? They look 3D printed.

They are indeed 3D printed. You just open the bottom, remove the little cushiony thing that provides upward pressure on the blades, and stack 1 to 100 blades, then push the cushioning thing back in and close the bottom. A flick of a finger makes a blade slide out the top. I got 'em off a seller on Etsy. He's got some other interesting shaving gear for sale too. Here's the link:
3D printed wet shave gear. by FrugalShave
Very happy with my two blade storage units, and thinking of ordering a 3rd for my iridium supers.

They are indeed 3D printed. You just open the bottom, remove the little cushiony thing that provides upward pressure on the blades, and stack 1 to 100 blades, then push the cushioning thing back in and close the bottom. A flick of a finger makes a blade slide out the top. I got 'em off a seller on Etsy. He's got some other interesting shaving gear for sale too. Here's the link:
3D printed wet shave gear. by FrugalShave
Very happy with my two blade storage units, and thinking of ordering a 3rd for my iridium supers.

Nifty. Thanks for the pointer

I will preface this post by saying that I have worked my way through multiple sample packs of blades thus far into my wet shaving journey, and settled on GSB’s and Astra SP’s as my go-to blades. For me, they are sharp enough, comfortable enough, and work in just about every razor I own reasonably well. I keep at least 50 of each in stock at all times. Since I joined B&B a month or so ago, I kept hearing rave reviews of the beloved 7 O’clock Yellows. Many seem to absolutely love them, very few seem to dislike them. So, being the pessimist I am, I decided to buy a tuck, in an attempt to come back to these very pages and let everyone know just how over-hyped these blades really are. Today I am here for a different reason: I just had the best shave of my life with a Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow blade. With the Yellow loaded into my well worn ball-end Tech, I could do no wrong. WTG, XTG and ATG the Yellow performed flawlessly. Very, very sharp, but not prickly sharp. Great backbone and stability. Whiskers cleanly sliced off without a hint of tug or drag. Smoothness and control beyond what I had previously known... Before I knew it, my three pass shave was over. I rinsed my face and blotted it dry with a crisp, white Turkish bath towel. As I lifted the towel from my face, I blindly fumbled the alum block next to the sink, sending it tumbling to the floor. Cursing my clumsiness, I looked into the mirror. I would not need the alum today. The usual traces of crimson on my neck, hallmarking another failed attempt to escape the shave den unscathed, were notably absent. A sense of pride welled inside of me, the satisfaction of a job well-done. I do not eat crow often. I find it has a bitter taste, not pleasing to the palate or the soul. But tonight I will eat that crow. And I’ll love every damned bite.
I started shaving a few weeks back using a 7OC yellow in a Game Change 84 and shaved flawlessly for about a month. I just switched to a Nacet purple and it seems just about the same but the corner of the Nacet seems to bite me. I'll get a little nick here and there with the Nacet, especially around the corners of my mouth. Never had that issue with the 7OC yellows.

Going to continue shaving with Nacets but wanted to share my experience with both. They are both irritation free other than the corner of the Nacet nicking me (no blood though, just a poke and a frantic search for bleeders to no avail).

I used my first ever yellow for last night’s shave I was fairly impressed with it. I hated the green 7 O’clock, but this was just as sharp and way smoother. Note quite as good as a Gillette Platinum but still a top tier blade.

Top Bottom