What's new

7 O’clock Yellows- now I get it

Which Polsilvers are generally considered the best? I know YMMV, but in general..

There's only one Polsilver; it isn't a brand. In fact, it's another Gillette blade, made in the same factory as Yellows, Nacets, Silver Blues, etc. The only reason it costs much more than those is because there are rumors that it will be discontinued (the rumors have been out there since 2013), so people horde them, which drives up the prices.

There are some older versions, made in Poland at first (hence "POL silver") said to be even better. Here's my enormous stash of these coveted vintage blades:

2019-05-23 12.50.13.jpg

Personally I can't tell a difference between these and the new Russian ones. A Polsilver is a polsilver is a polsilver

There's only one Polsilver; it isn't a brand. In fact, it's another Gillette blade, made in the same factory as Yellows, Nacets, Silver Blues, etc. The only reason it costs much more than those is because there are rumors that it will be discontinued (the rumors have been out there since 2013), so people horde them, which drives up the prices.

There are some older versions, made in Poland at first (hence "POL silver") said to be even better. Here's my enormous stash of these coveted vintage blades:

View attachment 983359

Personally I can't tell a difference between these and the new Russian ones. A Polsilver is a polsilver is a polsilver
Gotcha. For some reason I thought they made stainless and recently introduced iridium or something like that. Thank you for clarifying.

^ It's a little confusing, actually. It used to be called Iridium Super, Wyzamet Iridium Super (Wyzamet means 'Razor Blade' in Polish), then Polsilver Super Iridium, and there's a few other permutations out there with similar names, old ones produced in Poland and newer ones in Russia. They are all basically the same thing. And apparently don't contain any Iridium, by the way LOL

A dude on eBay was recently selling 250-packs of Iridium Supers for $43 (Russian), which is $0.17 a blade, an absurdly low cost considering Polsilvers run anywhere from $0.24 to $0.35. I ordered a pack but he never fulfilled the order. Pre-Polsilver iridiums are very hard to find and to actually take possession of.

Turns out when the mail arrived that I had ordered 7-Oclock Green box, not Yellow. But, for what it's worth in a Yellow thread, I had a good shave with a Green this morning. Will order Yellows some day.
Good deal. I know some people love the Greens. I have a pack of them to try as well. Ordered 100 Yellows last night, should be here tomorrow.

There's plenty of room for another Yellow Fellow; welcome to the club.

Your description aligns with my own experience perfectly. For me the not-so-mellow Yellow is, minimum, a Top 5 blade, and probably in the Top 3.

“Yellow Fellow” sounds like a great name for a new club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my order of 100 in today!

Awesome! I got mine in last week and was a bit surprised with the blade appearance. They didn’t look like the ones in my sample pack. I immediately took to Badger and Blade for some input (titled “bait and switch”). The fellows restored my confidence. Happy Shaves!

I love these blades. They are very sharp and very smooth. I find the GSB (Gillette Silver Blue) just as good but they put so much of that shipping wax/glue on the blades I will never buy them again.
The 7 O'clock Yellows are king. Long live the Yellows.

Yellows.jpg

Awesome! I got mine in last week and was a bit surprised with the blade appearance. They didn’t look like the ones in my sample pack. I immediately took to Badger and Blade for some input (titled “bait and switch”). The fellows restored my confidence. Happy Shaves!

Likewise! Thanks!

I love these blades. They are very sharp and very smooth. I find the GSB (Gillette Silver Blue) just as good but they put so much of that shipping wax/glue on the blades I will never buy them again.
The 7 O'clock Yellows are king. Long live the Yellows.

View attachment 983706
Yes, I just opened a tuck of Nacets (got a great shave out of one) but there was so much damn glue on the blades that I had to pick off the wax paper bit by bit..great blades though

Yes, I just opened a tuck of Nacets (got a great shave out of one) but there was so much damn glue on the blades that I had to pick off the wax paper bit by bit..great blades though

I don't see the need for the excessive glue on the blades. I'll stick with the Yellows, they are just as sharp as any other blade and very smooth.

Will be interested in your take on Nacets vs Yellows. I have been going back and forth between those two for quite a while. So far, I like Nacets better in my 6s but Yellows better in my other razors. Interested in what others have to say.

Will be interested in your take on Nacets vs Yellows. I have been going back and forth between those two for quite a while. So far, I like Nacets better in my 6s but Yellows better in my other razors. Interested in what others have to say.
I used a Nacet today for the first time. Loaded it in my ball end Tech (my go-to razor for evaluating new blades.) The Nacet was excellent. Sharper (for me) than the Yellows, but not by much. Not as smooth as the Yellows, and I could definitely feel the blade more. Definitely shaved a bit closer than the Yellows, but with slightly more irritation. No tugging or pulling though. The Yellows are still #1 for me, but the Nacet is a close 2nd. I will try the Nacet in my Blue-Tip next, as I think I’ll like it better in an even milder razor.

I don't see the need for the excessive glue on the blades. I'll stick with the Yellows, they are just as sharp as any other blade and very smooth.
Yeah, there’s no real need for me to use anything but Yellows other than curiosity and having fun experimenting with different stuff. They are excellent.

Top Bottom