What's new

$6 Shave Set at Big Lots

You only get a shaving soap and brush. The soap is from The Coastal Design Company. The shaving soap is 5.4 oz

My question is has anyone ever tried these soaps from TCD?

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Tread cautiously. "Butters" are usually non-lathering slime, not soap ...

edit: another site indicated non-lathering. Was sold at high-end stores, though: google it.

AA

Last edited:
I happened to stop in a Big Lots today and found this set on the 50% off Clearance table for fragrances etc.

I have been needing a new shave brush, and $3.00 was too cheap to pass up. The included shave butter was just a bonus.
The brush looks like it might be horse hair. Seems soft and does not have any funky smells. It is a pretty dense knot.

The shave butter has a distinct menthol note, but a pleasant undertone. It is not a cream but has the consistency of
Noxzema ''Skin cleanser''. I am not sure if it will lather or not.

God willing, I will use this brush & shave butter tomorrow morning and give an update sometime soon.

I forgot to mention: the Shave Butter label (on the bottom of the jar) lists:
Ingredients: Water(Aqua), Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerol Stearate (and) PEG-100 Stearate,
Citirc Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Carbomer, Fragrance (Parfum), Menthol, Disodium EDTA, Piroctone Olamine, PEG-90M.

(C)2016 Manufactured for & Distributed by Tri-Coastal Design - Bath & Body LLC.
Wharton, NJ 07885

Just an update on this deal. I went back to the store today and the sets were on clearance now. $3 a set. I took 2 sets all they had left.

proxy.php

Congrats and thanks. I saw your post and picked up the only one that they had at the Big Lots near me, but definitely would have bought more. I have 2 sons and 1 son-in-law that would appreciate these as gifts.

I tried this product out this morning, and am not disappointed, even though the brush is clearly a budget item. I was able to pull the knot out of the handle easily before using this. The knot is embedded in a cork base that fits into the plastic handle. The plastic handle is pretty light, has an obvious seam, and feels cheap. Upon re-inserting the knot, the glue must have took hold, and the handle is securely fastened now. I have never taken a knot out of any of my brushes before, so I learned something.

I used the butter as a pre-wash and it has a moderate slickness, but very cooling feel to it. Then I face lathered with the brush. The smell was pleasant, with mild notes of woody menthol. The lather was thick and rich. There is definitely a strong cooling menthol tingle that lingers on the skin for the whole shave. I got a 4 pass shave with the one loading of the brush.

The brush was a little scratchy, but I left the lather on the brush after the shave till the next use to help "break it in".
I am pleased with the product - for $3, I think it's a solid deal.

Top Bottom