What's new

6 Months A Newbie, Back to Cartrides.NOT!

Hi Guys,

My DE journey began with a Merkur 1904 in December, my first shave was with VDH soap, brush, and mug. I got about two shaves from the initial Merkur razor before tossing it. Then I was onto Feathers, Israel Persona, and Wilkie Sword. During my first two months I had some neck irritation but that cleared up quickly and I have not had any trouble lately.

In 6 months I've collected a few different razors to add to my 1904. Now my collection includes a pre patent number LC NEW, a Black Beauty, and a '54 Tech.

I'm still using the plastic handled VDH boar, but have tried a few different soaps. Stirling sharp dressed man and Arko are two that are notable. Arko is my favorite thus far.

Lastly, I have not found a favorite aftershave. I can take or leave aftershave or witch hazel. Lately, I've been using some Avon Wild Country, it isn't bad but it isn't great. I'm in search of a great aftershave, and a great brush. And that is just part of what makes this journey fun.

Congrats, Stirling makes AS that match their soaps. One of my favorites combos right now is the Sharp Dressed Man.

Barbershop is a close runner up, for me this scent stays we me a long time.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Birddog. Great to have you here. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Lastly, I have not found a favorite aftershave. I can take or leave aftershave or witch hazel. Lately, I've been using some Avon Wild Country, it isn't bad but it isn't great. I'm in search of a great aftershave, and a great brush. And that is just part of what makes this journey fun.

Swiss Pitralon / Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre ... search over :wink2:

Welcome to B&B!

With all the "I am going back to cartridges" threads that I've read in the past two months I wanted to post my experience, which has been very positive. I consider myself lucky, as my first DE shave or two went well. It took my skin a couple weeks to adjust to the new razor blade, and it took my mind time to adjust. Once I began to shave according to my beard's grain pattern, and only after a shower or a hot towel everything fell into place. When you combine bad lather, dry skin, too much razor pressure, and an improper shave pattern it will always give a bad result.

Talk about bad results, the first three shaves with my NEW gave me terrible irritation. I was confused, thinking that everything was going great with the 1904, now what is my problem? My problem was an improper angle with the NEW, but rather than ditching the NEW I treated it with respect and learned how to shave with it. This taught me how to use the proper angle/technique with every other DE razor in my collection. Rather than the NEW being something a guy puts off trying, I suggest getting one early on, it will teach you how to shave properly.

Lastly, thanks for all the tips and advice. This has become a hobby, and I justify spending money on it since if I had a hobby like riding a Harley Davidson it would be much more expensive. :001_smile

Last edited:
With all the crybaby "I am going back to cartridges" threads that I've read in the past two months I wanted to post my experience, which has been very positive.

That's great, but why call people who prefer cartridges "crybabies"?

The razor itself may be the least important variable in getting a great shave. Of course, it's all YMMV.

I second your choice for ARKO, btw ... great soap!

Hi Guys,

My DE journey began with a Merkur 1904 in December, my first shave was with VDH soap, brush, and mug. I got about two shaves from the initial Merkur razor before tossing it. Then I was onto Feathers, Israel Persona, and Wilkie Sword. During my first two months I had some neck irritation but that cleared up quickly and I have not had any trouble lately.

In 6 months I've collected a few different razors to add to my 1904. Now my collection includes a pre patent number LC NEW, a Black Beauty, and a '54 Tech.

I'm still using the plastic handled VDH boar, but have tried a few different soaps. Stirling sharp dressed man and Arko are two that are notable. Arko is my favorite thus far.

I personally use the 2 band silvertip Prince by WSP. ...

Here's a link to the After shave forum, they're pros on this subject
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/18-Aftershaves

I'm just 3 shaves into this DE world. I've gotten nowhere close to the quality of my cartridge shaves yet but I know there's a lot of learning and practice to be done yet. After 30 years of cartridge shaving, I'm ready to work a bit for a better experience.

Thanks for the motivation.

Jay

I fixed it. I was only trying to get a laugh Eeyore, as it seems that there has been a lot of those types of posts lately.

I am a DE shaver myself, but the razor is just a tool. In my opinion, people need to choose the razor that works best for them, for whatever reason. Wet shaving is about soap and brush, and not about what kind of, and how many, blade(s) you prefer. Just my opinion, of course.

I'm just 3 shaves into this DE world. I've gotten nowhere close to the quality of my cartridge shaves yet but I know there's a lot of learning and practice to be done yet. After 30 years of cartridge shaving, I'm ready to work a bit for a better experience.

Thanks for the motivation.

Jay

Don't be afraid to ask questions on here, I did and was helped.

By the way if you're looking for shaving stuff around the NW, I found some Kroger brand de blades at Fred Meyer, the price was right, and they seem to work fine for me. They are made in Israel, so I assume that they are like Israel Personnas (maybe not). Rite Aide has had some decent sales on some Pacific shave cream. Good luck.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on here, I did and was helped.

By the way if you're looking for shaving stuff around the NW, I found some Kroger brand de blades at Fred Meyer, the price was right, and they seem to work fine for me. They are made in Israel, so I assume that they are like Israel Personnas (maybe not).

My guess is they are the blades that are also known as "Crystals".

They work really well for me, and they last a long time. I'll be buying more, perhaps they are the crystals. They are unmarked, but the black arrow on the blade looks similar to the arrow on a crystal.

Top Bottom