What's new

$500 bday present to spend on boots

I have awesome family members and knowing that my current boots don't fit well anymore due to having to get orthotics gave me $500 to spend on boots. I currently have a pair of red wings Iron Rangers, which almost fit, enough that I'm getting them stretched at the local shoe shop to see if I can get them to fit. I also have a pair of Red Wing 877's that I love and honestly can almost wear all day without orthotics, but can't even get on with the orthotics in so stretching is not an option. My feet hurt "just a little" bit, enough that I probably shouldn't keep trying :blush:
I'd like to get the most bang for my buck on the boots, and am hoping to get 2 good pairs, I'm debating about getting a more dedicated work boot or just getting a larger size of 877's.(or going off the reservation and getting a pair of engineer boots from Red wing or Chippewa)

Regardless the big question I'm asking folks is are there any other of the casual dress boots i.e. iron Rangers, Beckmans, 1000 milers etc. that are better for orthotic guys? I'm finding that I'm needing more room up top versus on the sides or toe and am worried that a EE size will be too big, obviously I have to try some on with the orthotics but am curious what others' have dealt with.
Here are a few of the boots I'm liking now.
1000 Mile
Beckman
Iron Ranger (I really love this new color!!)
Chippewa

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
And btw I have thought that this amount could get me a pair of Alden's or some other really really nice pair, but honestly I'm hoping to get 2 pairs out of this, one for walking/hunting/bootwork stuff, and one for my job that I can wear with a sport coat and khakis when I have to go to court, i.e. social worker/professorish look.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Don't focus on the brand, focus on the fit! If, as I assume, you are CONUS, then there are several good boot websites that offer free shipping returns if the boots don't fit out of the box (and assuming you don't wear them off the carpet).

Take them up on the offer, even if you pay a bit more.

Other than that, not being an 'orthotics' guy myself, I can't think of specific brands that might be more suitable.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Nicks.

Checkout Wranglerstar's videos about Nicks boots. I just received my sizing kit and will be ordering a pair soon.

Since Nicks are custom made, you probably won't need orthotics.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Were it me, I would opt with Red Wings, as I've had good experience with them. What I like about mine is the fact that I could walk into their store, get my foot scanned, and buy a pair that actually fit my foot. I have a wide foot, and for years I wore boot a size or size and a half large so they wood fit my width.

Were it me, I would opt with Red Wings, as I've had good experience with them. What I like about mine is the fact that I could walk into their store, get my foot scanned, and buy a pair that actually fit my foot. I have a wide foot, and for years I wore boot a size or size and a half large so they wood fit my width.
Great advice!

Can't go wrong with Alden 405 work boots. Very comfortable boots. With steel shank, so they do set off metal detectors, in case that matters. I suggest however to replace the slippery-on-wet neoprene/cork soles with Vibram soles. They go now for over $500. I got mine when they were under $200, and I just keep getting them resoled. I think these boots will outlast me. Handmade in USA.

proxy.php

I found the 1000 mile boots had very little room in the instep for my orthotics. I tried to find a super thin insert and still not enough room. Luckily they are comfortable enough to wear without my orthotics!

Biggest issue will be my orthotics. I went to my go to red wing store and tried on a couple of styles and sizes. In hindsight I should have tried a few others on but I was getting annoyed after a certain point, by the fact that they were missing a lot of sizes that IMO they should have had, though apparently they get fully restocked around July with the new styles and such.
I tried on a beckman in both regular sizes and wide, I had to go wide as I couldn't even get them on with my insoles:( Of course they didn't have a size that I needed in the iron rangers that I wanted to try, and they didn't even have an engineer boot. Oh well guess it might not be my "go to store" anymore, it's changed a bit over the years. Regardless a 10.5 EE fit well, except it was a bit too long and I was walking out of them, they fit the instep and top really well though, but were too long :( the 10EE fit lengthwise but was too tight in the instep.
Now I am planning to go to the factory store in the near future, funny enough it's probably only 15 min more drive than the store I went to today (lol)
Will be trying to find a nearby store that sells Alden as well as Chippewa and wolverine. I really don't want to do the online thing over and over again. One thing the sales guy did suggest that moc type boots should give me more height where my biggest issue is. The search continues....

Another place to find Alden's on sale is J Crew. The have 20-30% off sales somewhat often, which bring a pair of $500 Alden's down into the $300's.

Top Bottom