What's new

5/8 full hollow round nose.

I started straight razor shaving exactly three years ago this month and love it. I bought a Kropp 6/8, I think, then a similar razor in 4/8 very happy with them. Except for the fact that I couldn't get a decent edge on them, they were from eBay of course and shave ready. They may have been shave ready or they may not but by the time my stropping had finished with them well.....you know the story.
So I start looking online, 5/8, I should have bought a 5/8 apparently that is the thing for us beginners. So I bought one, a new fresh out of the box Dovo "Best Quality" it was sharp as well, until I ...well the same story.
So I watched lots of videos on youtube and bought a lot of stones and even more razors. I stayed away from 5/8 hollow ground razors after the hard work paid off and I started to get edges that were not just useable but really enjoyable. I have Heavy Sheffield wedge's and French and Japanese framebacks. Half hollow, a David Issard very nice, John and William Ragg's very nearly wedges, basically lots of not 5/8 round nose hollows cos I thought they are beginners razors.
I have recently bought two 5/8 full hollow razors on eBay and these things are terrific. I only got the first one because no one wanted it even at the minimal price required. I am thinking of starting a refuge for unwanted razors, in fact, I already have started a refuge for unwanted razors they just look so sad sitting on eBay.
I have just bought another because the first one was so good.
I just wanted to say that it is no wonder that these razors are around in such numbers, they are light easy to manoeuvre around the face take a great edge and cost peanuts. Too damn good to be saved for beginners I think, If you haven't looked at a "basic" 5/8 round nose full hollow razor for a while try one they are Bostin as they say around here.

great post! you’re right. There is really no such thing as a “beginner only” razor and for the availability and price value, probably cant be beat.

Never heard of Bostin. where is that local to?

great post! you’re right. There is really no such thing as a “beginner only” razor and for the availability and price value, probably cant be beat.

Never heard of Bostin. where is that local to?
No, my new friend, I guess you won't have heard of Bostin. It wasn't clear in my post but it is local lingo for really good.

I started straight razor shaving exactly three years ago this month and love it. I bought a Kropp 6/8, I think, then a similar razor in 4/8 very happy with them. Except for the fact that I couldn't get a decent edge on them, they were from eBay of course and shave ready. They may have been shave ready or they may not but by the time my stropping had finished with them well.....you know the story.
So I start looking online, 5/8, I should have bought a 5/8 apparently that is the thing for us beginners. So I bought one, a new fresh out of the box Dovo "Best Quality" it was sharp as well, until I ...well the same story.
So I watched lots of videos on youtube and bought a lot of stones and even more razors. I stayed away from 5/8 hollow ground razors after the hard work paid off and I started to get edges that were not just useable but really enjoyable. I have Heavy Sheffield wedge's and French and Japanese framebacks. Half hollow, a David Issard very nice, John and William Ragg's very nearly wedges, basically lots of not 5/8 round nose hollows cos I thought they are beginners razors.
I have recently bought two 5/8 full hollow razors on eBay and these things are terrific. I only got the first one because no one wanted it even at the minimal price required. I am thinking of starting a refuge for unwanted razors, in fact, I already have started a refuge for unwanted razors they just look so sad sitting on eBay.
I just wanted to say that it is no wonder that these razors are around in such numbers, they are light easy to manoeuvre around the face take a great edge and cost peanuts. Too damn good to be saved for beginners I think, If you haven't looked at a "basic" 5/8 round nose full hollow razor for a while try one they are Bostin as they say around here.

5/8 are my favorite.

There is a lot of advice that’s repeated over and over as true. That new user should seek somebody hone their razor as well as which size is best are two which come to mind. My first was a 11/16 and I have no problems whatsoever.

5/8 are my favorite.

There is a lot of advice that’s repeated over and over as true. That new user should seek somebody hone their razor as well as which size is best are two which come to mind. My first was a 11/16 and I have no problems whatsoever.

I should have found someone to hone my razor for me but I am stubborn.
Also, my interest in straight razors was mainly learning to sharpen.

I would love to say that I missed Alabama, it sounds wonderful and rather exotic to me. However, I live near Birmingham in the UK which is a little less exotic I think.
Lol!! I figured that was the case, but couldn’t resist. Thanks for being a good sport . :a50:

They are awesome razors and like a friend who loves late harvest riesling, who cares what others think so long as they work for you lol.

My red imp despite being a near wedge is just 5/8 and I have a unknown 5/8 hamburg ring that flys around my face.

For the price of 1 13/16 you could easily get 2 5/8

Twelvefret can help you with getting an edge. His methods on lapping films are pretty great to getting a really sharp edge.

Btw being that you are in the UK, just how easy is it to get palmolive stick soaps because I hear they go for 50 p there but I can't find and here.

Cheers,

Mawashi

They are awesome razors and like a friend who loves late harvest riesling, who cares what others think so long as they work for you lol.

My red imp despite being a near wedge is just 5/8 and I have a unknown 5/8 hamburg ring that flys around my face.

For the price of 1 13/16 you could easily get 2 5/8

Twelvefret can help you with getting an edge. His methods on lapping films are pretty great to getting a really sharp edge.

Btw being that you are in the UK, just how easy is it to get palmolive stick soaps because I hear they go for 50 p there but I can't find and here.

Cheers,

Mawashi

Palmolive soap sticks, well I will have to get back to you on that I have a lot of soap but haven't looked at Palmolive for some time. Twelvefret seems a good bloke from what I have seen on here and I may indeed try his method with lapping film sometime soon just a couple more synthetics to get first. I have at the moment,
Naniwa 600
4 various 1000
2000 Shapton Kuromaku
Naniwa 4000
Naniwa 8000
Naniwa 12000
ILR
Wastikivi
BBW
2 coticules
And a whole bunch of pasted strops. so I will try the lapping films fairly soon.

Top Bottom