What's new

4th restore wade & butcher celebrated India steel in horn

This is my fourth restore... I'm on a roll and have 4 more drawn out (Drew out 8 designs about 2 months ago in anticipation of getting all the tools together)! Still working out of my apt with a fan in the window :p

Found a good source for horn scale material... Works out to about 5 dollars a razor... Horn is beautiful once flattened with an cloth iron, some aluminum foil, and some clamps... Then used w/d sandpaper, then micro mesh ...

What should I use for horn polish???

Got the w&b at a good price off eBay... It's a 7/8ths.. Did quite a bit of sanding on the blade as well... Left some age spots and some of the deeper scratches alone..

Horn is Indian water buffalo and wedge is translucent blue acrylic... Left about 1/2 a millimeter of the wedge sticking out to catch light better

Been planning this once for as long as I have been using straights... I'm a proud papa!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384500222.005191.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384500237.269905.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384500248.275263.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!

Glad to hear the fan-window-belt-sander setup is still going strong :-D
By curiosity, how long does it usually take you to make a set of scales? When I do it all by hand, horn takes 3-4h I'd say (maybe 1h less for acrylic). I'm trying to justify spending for the belt-sander ;-)

Very nice!

Glad to hear the fan-window-belt-sander setup is still going strong :-D
By curiosity, how long does it usually take you to make a set of scales? When I do it all by hand, horn takes 3-4h I'd say (maybe 1h less for acrylic). I'm trying to justify spending for the belt-sander ;-)

Well cutting the shape out with a scroll saw then refinement on belt sander only takes me 30-45 minutes...hand Sanding through all the grits (all 12 of them) for a smooth surface about 1.5 hrs then wedge and pin takes 30 minutes... Then I take pics but usually will watch tv for an hour after where I'm just fine polishing to refine the finish product sometimes I'll try and round the pin too .. like yesterday got home from work at 8p finished around 11 then TV/ fine polishing pics... Went to bed at 1230 ... factor in I had to redo pins and wedge 2x times

Last edited:
H, can you expand on this? "Works out to about 5 dollars a razor... Horn is beautiful once flattened with an cloth iron, some aluminum foil, and some clamps..."
I see some horn blanks on ebay but I've never got any. Are they not flat?

H, can you expand on this? "Works out to about 5 dollars a razor... Horn is beautiful once flattened with an cloth iron, some aluminum foil, and some clamps..."
I see some horn blanks on ebay but I've never got any. Are they not flat?

Horn has a tendency to warp ... I just got another 6 from the same guy and it's straight... If it isn't wrap it in alu foil and press it under an iron with no steam then put it between two flat surfaces and clamp for 15 minutes... Should straighten out depending on thickness... Under the foil the horn should get hot and semi pliable it should be hot enough that it doesn't burn but not cold enough that you can hold comfortably... Some guy in straight razor forum did this with a hair straightener

eBay seller is mygann I buy 1/8 inch or 3mm blanks

Last edited:
I like tradiotinal shapes to the scales, but the work is nicely done.

Thanks ! Praise from the master! But next one doc will be traditional... All my shapes have been crazy I think I could go for some traditional shapes in non-traditional materials

Top Bottom