What's new

.45 acp or 9mm in a 1911.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Shoot it and you will not think baby brother. Like I said I have a couple of Gold Cup models, one in 10mm, you notice the difference but I do not find it bad.
I shot a .40 S&W? I think once. Well, one time long ago I shot that caliber, probably a whole clip worth, back before Merle Haggard had died, but after a buck became mostly Magnesium, and our kountry was still strong.... Anyway, a long time back. As I remember it, that round STUNG! Plenty of kick for my well manicured hands to be reminded that they are MUCH better suited to cutting hair than pretending I'm a macho man! 10mm I don't recall hurtin' as much, but it may have been the differences in the guns or the loads. I ain't no Scientist like some of these fine Gents; I'm more of a Caveman, still drooling over revolvers. THOSE boolits make SENSE to me, because a Cowboy can shoot 'em off a horse's back. No safeties, except for the one between my ears (okay, no comments outta you Rob, @OkieStubble !) because I know the English measures but not the metric ones.....

I swear, when the Chinese are building colonies on or in the Moon and NOT uhMerica it'll be because my Math teacher couldn't legally swat my arse or force the Metric System down my throat in 1975.

Not sorry for the Rant; this thread was getting stale. @nortac and Rob ain't tole me in at least a week how shtoopid I was! True story doggone!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I shot a .40 S&W
I remember a whole long winded article that detailed the incident that lead up to the development of that cartridge. Not that it may not have more stopping power than 9mm, but I'm left wondering if the folks in the shootout did not grasp the concept of a head shot.

For home use, I prefer a 12 ga. I don't care how hopped up you are on bath salts or if you are wearing body armor, the sheer force of the projectile(s) [I use the Alaskan Bear Hunting Guide Approach. 00 Buck, Slug, 00 Buck, etc] hitting you mid person is going to put you on the floor and give me a moment to decide what is next.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I remember a whole long winded article that detailed the incident that lead up to the development of that cartridge. Not that it may not have more stopping power than 9mm, but I'm left wondering if the folks in the shootout did not grasp the concept of a head shot.

For home use, I prefer a 12 ga. I don't care how hopped up you are on bath salts or if you are wearing body armor, the sheer force of the projectile(s) [I use the Alaskan Bear Hunting Guide Approach. 00 Buck, Slug, 00 Buck, etc] hitting you mid person is going to put you on the floor and give me a moment to decide what is next.
Amen. LoL, basic physics!

Like muscle cars.. no replacement for displacement. LOL
I keep big blocks and big bores around the house.

20230226_190959.jpg

I have a Tanfoglio 9mm, which is heavy and well built. I prefer a heavier less recoil pistol for range time. Putting lead on paper is better then not. My 1911 sits because it bucks to hard and I suck using it.

The new kid on the block
100 rounds through one fail to extract but I think it was the round not the weapon

Attachments

• 69775082460__1CB6737E-4119-4C86-B0A6-2AC4272AB24A(2).JPG
    69775082460__1CB6737E-4119-4C86-B0A6-2AC4272AB24A(2).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 69791848369__EB0AD9F8-B977-4601-B6C3-564D7F3C068D.JPG
    69791848369__EB0AD9F8-B977-4601-B6C3-564D7F3C068D.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_04891.jpg
    IMG_04891.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The new kid on the block
100 rounds through one fail to extract but I think it was the round not the weapon
Fifty-three rounds through a Girsan MC1911 C XLV.

12-15-2022.jpg

Unusual round count thanks to ...

Girsan-Bushing.jpg

Launched the guide rod spring cap to Infinity & Beyond.

That's when I learned Girsan used a non standard sized barrel bushing and none of the many barrel bushings I had could be used. EAA did send a replacement but I also got Thunder Mountain Custom to turn an oversize EWG bushing down to match the Girsan replacement. That's when I also learned that the barrel busing slot in the Girsan slide was also not standard and it took a full day to fit the new barrel bushing.

MC-1911-C-XLV-left.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Oh, hayyyylllll yeah! You are going to enjoy it! More love for the BHP / SA-35! Please feel free to post in my "Scored an SA-35" thread!

proxy.php

Did you see that SA-35 is NRA Gun of the Year?

AA

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Fifty-three rounds through a Girsan MC1911 C XLV.

View attachment 1612908

Unusual round count thanks to ...

View attachment 1612909

Launched the guide rod spring cap to Infinity & Beyond.

That's when I learned Girsan used a non standard sized barrel bushing and none of the many barrel bushings I had could be used. EAA did send a replacement but I also got Thunder Mountain Custom to turn an oversize EWG bushing down to match the Girsan replacement. That's when I also learned that the barrel busing slot in the Girsan slide was also not standard and it took a full day to fit the new barrel bushing.

View attachment 1612910
Sure but his heart is to the right when he's facing you. LOL Good shooting.

I’m old school, so a 1911 to me is a .45.
When I refer to my Springfield EMP and Sig P938 SAS, I refer to them as “1911 style”

The EMP has an 4” barrel and holds 9 rounds while the P938 has a 3” barrel and holds 7 with the extended magazine, 6 with flush.

I got them for my carry permit but both have had misfires with hollow point ammo.
The EMP has been back to Springfield twice, and the 938 back to Sig once.

Although they are both very accurate, fun to shoot, and seem “fixed”, I don’t trust them and will not carry them. I carry a HK, holds 10.
18D9C4A9-1F68-46DE-80EC-2FD94C1F3868.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I’m old school, so a 1911 to me is a .45.
When I refer to my Springfield EMP and Sig P938 SAS, I refer to them as “1911 style”

The EMP has an 4” barrel and holds 9 rounds while the P938 has a 3” barrel and holds 7 with the extended magazine, 6 with flush.

I got them for my carry permit but both have had misfires with hollow point ammo.
The EMP has been back to Springfield twice, and the 938 back to Sig once.

Although they are both very accurate, fun to shoot, and seem “fixed”, I don’t trust them and will not carry them. I carry a HK, holds 10.View attachment 1613716

That two tone EMP looks nice! If I ever get a 1911 9mm for carry, it will be an EMP that looks just like yours. If it doesn't run 100% then I will carry my G43X and camp out on Springfield's doorstep until it does. :)

While I get we shouldn't have to, that EMP looks that good. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. :)

That two tone EMP looks nice! If I ever get a 1911 9mm for carry, it will be an EMP that looks just like yours. If it doesn't run 100% then I will carry my G43X and camp out on Springfield's doorstep until it does. :)

While I get we shouldn't have to, that EMP looks that good. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. :)
Thanks, it's a sweet pistol, very accurate, I shoot it very well. I've kept it on my permit but I just don't trust it.
Example. Had to re qualify with my CCW class last fall. The guy that teaches the class is a crusty old curmudgeon. Former Marine, Sheriff's Deputy, Corrections Officer, NRA this that and everything else.
Told us his whole story about him being a tough guy.

The class is at an indoor range, so he has us doing all sorts of tactical stuff, with the lights on and off and such. Not something that interests me that much, but I guess I do well enough that he never says a word to me, all the while yelling at everyone else.

That EMP points really well for me. He has us moving, zigging and zagging. He commented what a nice pistol it was.

I'm 71, I don't practice that much, but I'm good with tools. Farrier for 45 years, blacksmith/metal fab shop

I've got three mags for it. The last mag wouldn't seat with a full 9 rounds. What an embarrassment.
G Dammit! Now what!

Top Bottom