What's new

4:00AM phone call Friday morning.

Every six weeks I get the "on call" phone. Last week was my turn in the barrel. On call runs from 0800 Friday to 0800 the following Friday. My job is to assist local law enforcement with traffic control, spill control, and make sure our state right or way is protected. It was quiet all week, that is until 0400 Last Friday morning. It had been raining all night and I was pleasantly surprised that the phone hadn't gone off before I got off work. The call came in and I was informed by the biggest of our local Police Dept's that there was a jack knifed 18 wheeler, massive guardrail damage, blocking roadway, AND a fuel spill. I got up and dressed, drove 12 miles to get my work truck and headed off another 6 miles to the wreck.

Got there and discovered it wasn't in "my" area of responsibility but decided to go ahead and work it anyway as it would have taken another hour for the right guy to come out.

It was a good one if you want to classify to that way. Not nearly as bad as some I've worked that involved multiple fatalities. Nobody was hurt in this mess.
This is what I found upon arrival.
proxy.php

Cops had two of three lanes of IH-35W open and the truck wasn't blocking any lanes of that road. He ended up blocking an exit ramp. I told the boys in blue to open the third lane as traffic was stacking badly and getting worse as prime drive time rush hour was upon us. One of the "big hooks" ( wrecker ) showed up and we got him positioned to try and straighten it out and drag it down the ramp. I didn't think he could do it because the trailer was broken and figured the whole mess would end up on the ground. The wrecker driver thought the same after he looked at this view when he got up there to it.
proxy.php

He tugged on it a bit and then it started dumping more fuel. I called in a sand truck and we put out 5 or 6 yards of sand. Then we waited on the haz-mat guys to come pump the tanks.
proxy.php

They got that done about 0900. Then they dragged the mess down the ramp and spent most of the day off loading 42K lbs of tile and re-loading it onto another trailer.

The driver was a youngster compared to me. I drove trucks for 30 years. He was telling anybody who would listen the biggest line of baloney I'd heard in a long time most of it having to with why it wasn't his fault. I listened for few minutes and proceeded to put that boy in his place. I told him in my time of trucking that I had worn more rubber off of windshield wiper blades than he had worn off of drive tires and that in 30 years and more than 3 million miles I NEVER made one look like his mess. He stuttered and stammered and I went on to tell him that he either went to sleep or he had the cruise control on IN THE RAIN which is a NO-NO especially with the horse power that trucks make nowadays. HE stuttered and stammered a bit and then I thanked him for getting my grouchy old *** out of a nice warm bed to come play in the rain with the likes of him and that I hoped he enjoyed his bus ride home.

Poor kid.

I left it with the guys whose section it was to handle the rest of it at 0930 and went on to my regularly scheduled duties.

Here's of few pics of some other memorable messes that I've been involved in helping to clean up.

2010 SWIFT TRANSPORTATION "engine toss" winner of the year.
proxy.php

That's his engine in street.

Old No 88 lost his engine too.
proxy.php

THis one was really bad. a cement mixer truck ran completely over this car. One fatality.
proxy.php

then he went on to hit a tanker and burn both rigs to the ground.
proxy.php

Fortunately the tanker was hauling water. The mixer driver was found to have been texting on cell phone and was charged with vehicular manslaughter.

This was McRyan Trucking's stunt driver of the year award for 2011. Look at the tracks where he came off the ramp above.
proxy.php

Cement is what' s added to all the sand, water, and aggregate to make CONCRETE. :p

Down here they're called SEE-ment mixers. LOL

Everyone calls them cement mixers.
If you want a load of concrete, you call the guy that drives the cement mixer! :wink:

OP... wow, glad nobody was hurt.

Ya... I hate the 4am calls because that's only an hour of doubletime and an hour of overtime.

Now, the midnight calls... that's 4 hours of doubletime :wink:

I ended up with 12 hours Friday. My day starts at 0800 and we start chargin' 'em when the phone rings. Milked it for 4 and those are payable instead of that #&@Q&*%!! COMP time BS.

I ended up with 12 hours Friday. My day starts at 0800 and we start chargin' 'em when the phone rings. Milked it for 4 and those are payable instead of that #&@Q&*%!! COMP time BS.

We have the option of taking OT as "lieu" time, but none of the managers will allow it to be used except as a last resort, IE, serious injury or illness and the sick and vacation time are exhausted.
It's a shame that we can't bank vacation time indefinitely... we can't accrue more than 2 years worth, so for me that's 160 hours. Once we reach that, accrual stops until we use some.
Sick time can build forever, but there is no cash-out option. Instead, after retirement, sick time can then be cashed out at 50% to pay for medical insurance... which is good because my contract, even though it's under PERS, does not include medical.

What exit was this near?

35W North bound at the exit to Pharr St.

I can hold 270 hours of vacation. Anything over that and they roll it to sick leave. If I quit, I get paid for unused vacation, and any FLSA comp I've got on the books. Sick time can be exchanged at retirement for "time served" and added to your service time. FSLA comp is payable after a year on the books. They HATE that. Rather than pay us, they'll send us home and make us charge the time. I keep a 50 to 60 hour balance of FLSA comp most of the time. Regular comp is lost if not used in year. I think I've used three days of vacation time in the last seven years as we HAVE to use FLSA comp first for time off, then regular comp, and then we can use vacation time.

My department is chronically understaffed and those of us in it are getting long in the tooth. A couple of the guys have some health issues so they end up being out quite a bit and the rest of us have to pull the slack.

I'm glad I've got a job though. I ain't gonna gripe because what I'm doing now beats the HELL out of driving a truck although I do get to drive these when it gets bad.
proxy.php

I've got the longest route in my section with the most bridges. I guess they love me.

That was during the Super Bowl ice spell a couple of years ago. We didn't have to rig up this year. Didn't hurt my feelings any. One thing about it, when folks see ya driving one of those, they generally always use ALL FIVE FINGERS when they wave at us. :)

Top Bottom