What's new

3ONE6 Initial Experience

Day 3: I am struggling with how to relate my 3one6 razor experience without sounding overly negative, but it just isn't going well for me. I changed two things today: 1. I changed out the handle to my EJ barley handle. This gave me more confidence and control over the 3one6 head. I really do find the 30ne6 handle too narrow. 2. I used a different blade; a a red Israeli.

I am a competent enough shaver that I generally don't nick myself or even get a weeper unless I am careless. So when I shave and draw blood my response is usually, "Hmm, that doesn't happen very often. Don't take the blade for granted." However, when I draw blood three days in a row there is something more going on here. Yes, I nicked myself again this morning.

Overall the shaves have been good, discounting nicks of course, but the razor is definitely a bit more aggressive than the DE89. I can feel "heat" in a few areas where I normally didn't feel anything before, but the razor is more aggressive by design so I can't fault it for that.

I may go electric for a day or two to let my face recover. We shall see.

Sorry! Thanks for sharing the ‘blow by blow’ saga.

Day 3: I am struggling with how to relate my 3one6 razor experience without sounding overly negative, but it just isn't going well for me. I changed two things today: 1. I changed out the handle to my EJ barley handle. This gave me more confidence and control over the 3one6 head. I really do find the 30ne6 handle too narrow. 2. I used a different blade; a a red Israeli.

I am a competent enough shaver that I generally don't nick myself or even get a weeper unless I am careless. So when I shave and draw blood my response is usually, "Hmm, that doesn't happen very often. Don't take the blade for granted." However, when I draw blood three days in a row there is something more going on here. Yes, I nicked myself again this morning.

Overall the shaves have been good, discounting nicks of course, but the razor is definitely a bit more aggressive than the DE89. I can feel "heat" in a few areas where I normally didn't feel anything before, but the razor is more aggressive by design so I can't fault it for that.

I may go electric for a day or two to let my face recover. We shall see.
That’s a rough start with the 3one6... I’m pulling for a comeback! Maybe try different razor blades imo... it definitely sounds like it’s more aggressive and less forgiving than the EJ DE89. Thanks for the update with the 3one6. Happy Shaving!

I’m looking forward to trying my 3ONE6 when it arrives. More aggressive than a DE89 is welcome news. The DE89 is a fine razor but I ended up selling mine as it was just too mild.

I just used my 3 one 6 for the first time today and yes I would say it's aggressive but also feels nice and smooth, (if that makes any sense!). Did 3 pass shave with MWF. Lovely BBS shave with no nicks/irritation. IMO it's quite forgiving, (I used one of the Feather blades which came with it). I started to think that my 6c might have to become redundant!. However.., For me, I would have to change the handle. it's slightly thin for my liking, (not by much though). Plus, It's too long for me. I wish it was 10mm shorter. Whilst I was drying the thing during the clear-up, the top of the handle decided to come apart in my hands! so it came... and it went!

408.JPG

That stinks, especially since it's so new. EJ fixed the thread snapping issue but now... I read their customer service is good so hopefully they make it right for you.

Very poor quality control for the first run; should have not left the factory in that state. I wonder what that groove is for, either for an O ring or to hold the adhesive maybe.

That stinks, especially since it's so new. EJ fixed the thread snapping issue but now... I read their customer service is good so hopefully they make it right for you.
I'm sure they will, but I won't re-order another. I'm walking around with the smoothest face ever today... so I might make an offer to keep the head and pair it with a decent handle. It's Saturday today, so i've put the head onto my bulldog style handle from my 6c to see how that performs tomorrow morning before sending it back. Have to say.., it feels just right with the thicker, shorter handle.

Very poor quality control for the first run; should have not left the factory in that state. I wonder what that groove is for, either for an O ring or to hold the adhesive maybe.
I reckon it was an adhesive..., seemed a bit 'gunky' and no 'o' ring to be seen.

For a $120 stainless steel handle, I would have hoped it was milled from one single piece of steel and not glued together.
Is that how much they are selling for in the States? I got mine complete in uk for £75. still, as you say, i would have expected better from a stainless handle from a company like EJ. (Plus when you look into the handle, it's 1/2 hollow,[to achieve the design weight I guess]).

.......when you look into the handle, it's 1/2 hollow,to achieve the design weight I guess.

Very good idea. Stainless gets heavy when the handle diameter goes above 12.8mm. Since it's hollow you'd think they could have made the handle wider. The Wolfman Guerrilla handle is hollowed out SS and that's more like 16mm wide - nice!

I don't see a problem except substandard glue used. Looks well manufactured. Does the head clamp the blade perfectly or is it problematic like the Rocca?

I don't see a problem except substandard glue used. Looks well manufactured. Does the head clamp the blade perfectly or is it problematic like the Rocca?
oh yes! the head is really nice. The blade is clamped in rock solid. Obviously, the handle parted on its 1st outing. However, the knurling is good, no slipping there! Personally I would prefer a slightly shorter handle, but just personal preference. tbh.., I'd like to keep the head, as I had a brilliant shave.

I can't speak for EJ but I would guess that that is a 3 pc press fit handle, similar to vintage Gillette's and the Karve razor handles. After all it is a tech copy anyway... That is the easiest way to make a handle like this that has the transitions from end to end like it does. As far as their price is concerned you are looking at a company that has only ever made zamac razors in the past and those are usually chrome or gold plated but people had been asking for some time for a stainless version and this is what they came up with. I'm sure originally they tossed around a higher price point but figured since it was an MIM, Metal Injection Molded razor as opposed to a CNC made design and this is probably about top dollar they could get for MIM.

Top Bottom