What's new

3D Printed Scales

I have no skills (or tools) for woodworking. But I do have a fancy 3D printer. Going to install these on an inbound Shumate with warped scales. If I screw up, it takes about an hour to make a new set.
proxy.php

M

member 119848

Nice! is it your design?
Keep us updated, I look forward to seeing the finished razor..

Looks Great!

Are you planning on printing the wedge once you get the razor to see exactly what you'll need?

That patterning looks good, I’m just not sure how I feel about 3D printed scales from a materials perspective. I tried Slash’s pass around and he’d made some for those blades.

For me... I don’t know if it’s a materials density thing, or if a post manufacture polish and smoothing on the smooth surfaces would feel better in hand... but... they just look unfinished/cheap to me. Even if it was just a good plastic’s luster, they’d appeal more to me. But I think in the realm of 3D printing, we’re still in very early days.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have no skills (or tools) for woodworking. But I do have a fancy 3D printer. Going to install these on an inbound Shumate with warped scales. If I screw up, it takes about an hour to make a new set.
proxy.php
I don't shave with a straight, but I'd be proud to have those on one. Beautiful. I also have no idea what a 3D printer can do, but that looks awesome dude.

Hi all. I printed these is PLA as a test. 100% infill so they are rigid. I also printed at .15mm layer height to make the layer lines smoother. PETG or ABS might be better options. Abs can be smoothed with acetone vapors so the surface is very smooth and shiny although you would lose the top pattern. PLA can be sanded although I have never tried to make it completely smooth with progressive grit sand paper before. I have used spray primer/filler and sanding with great results, but then you have to paint it and clear coat seal it.

I have no idea if this design will even work. I found it on the Thingiverse website and no one has posted a complete set on a razor. The plastics may not be rigid enough over time and may in fact just warp due to the tension on them/opening and closing. Or maybe PETG would work. I have some neon translucent green PETG that would look great as scales.

Going farther down the rabbit hole there are other materials like polycarbonate or others with carbon fibers embedded. PEEK or Ultem would work but at 300$ per 1kg roll, I think I'll pass. Those materials are more difficult to print with and are probably beyond what I can use with my hobby grade printer.

In the end, 3d printed scales may not work, but any excuse to tinker with my printer is a few hours well spent for me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hi all. I printed these is PLA as a test. 100% infill so they are rigid. I also printed at .15mm layer height to make the layer lines smoother. PETG or ABS might be better options. Abs can be smoothed with acetone vapors so the surface is very smooth and shiny although you would lose the top pattern. PLA can be sanded although I have never tried to make it completely smooth with progressive grit sand paper before. I have used spray primer/filler and sanding with great results, but then you have to paint it and clear coat seal it.

I have no idea if this design will even work. I found it on the Thingiverse website and no one has posted a complete set on a razor. The plastics may not be rigid enough over time and may in fact just warp due to the tension on them/opening and closing. Or maybe PETG would work. I have some neon translucent green PETG that would look great as scales.

Going farther down the rabbit hole there are other materials like polycarbonate or others with carbon fibers embedded. PEEK or Ultem would work but at 300$ per 1kg roll, I think I'll pass. Those materials are more difficult to print with and are probably beyond what I can use with my hobby grade printer.

In the end, 3d printed scales may not work, but any excuse to tinker with my printer is a few hours well spent for me.
Thanks for the reply! I understood a bunch of it, so you must be as good at explaining as you are at making scales.

Top Bottom