What's new

.327 lcr

Put a bantam grip on my wife's lcr so I can "test" out pocket carrying it the next couple days. Also loaded up some mild 100 gr loads. Hopefully get to range tomorrow to see how these loads are and make changes as needed.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I know almost nothing about handguns.

That's a .327 caliber model?

Is that almost as powerful as a .357 magnum?

I'm surprised that I'm the first one here.

That revolver is most attractive.

Love that caliber! It is the most promising new cartridge to come out in several years. Sadly, few people recognize its potential. you can get six shots in a normally five shot gun. And the potential for a fantastic cartridge for a lever action rifle if some company will make one chambered for it. This one in a lever gun would likely make an excellent medium to small game rifle.

The ballistics of this round are great and the gun can also fire .32 H&R magnum, and .32 rimmed rounds. So ammo and components for reloading will always be around. I hope this one catches on a bit more over the next few years!
This gun would be an excellent self-defense tool. Lots of power and less recoil than the .357 Mag.
:thumbup1:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
From Wiki: "However, the .327 Federal has a higher maximum pressure ceiling (45,000 psi) than the .30 Carbine (40,000 psi)."

The Single-Six in .30 Carbine was said to be ear-splitting. It's interesting they can put this round in a snubbie such as above ... likely the burn rate on the powder is faster. Still. I'd like to shoot one of these .327s before buying. I like it in principle.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah, I've been wondering about this cartridge since it came out. Looks good for an "almost" .357 but with a bit less recoil.

I wonder how the ballistics compare to a .38 Special +P...especially in a snubby. I'll have to look that up.

I also wonder if there is a "hype" thing going on just to get something "new" in the market.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm not all that interested in this caliber as a defensive round yet, but I would dearly love a DA revolver like a S&W J or even K frame with a 4 inch barrel as a "kit" gun for woods use, with the ability to shoot .32 S&W,.32H&R mag and .327 Federal mag.

I'm not all that interested in this caliber as a defensive round yet, but I would dearly love a DA revolver like a S&W J or even K frame with a 4 inch barrel as a "kit" gun for woods use, with the ability to shoot .32 S&W,.32H&R mag and .327 Federal mag.

Im waiting for a lever action rifle or a break open/falling block single shot rifle. The Brits used to make "rook" rifles in the early part of last century that were used a general purpose guns for gentlemen on a walk in the country. They might be used for a jack rabbit for stew, a squirrel, a crow, or a rook, the one caliber that was universally agreed upon as ideal was the .32 it could be loaded light for smaller game or heavy for larger pigs or wild dogs. The caliber was considered to perform well above its size and weight.

In America the .32-20 Winchester was the virtual clone of the favored heavy load used in the rook rifles. Several famous lawmen of the late 1800's and early 1900's armed themselves with the .32-20 Winchester. And a couple of famous outlaws of the 1930's met their end from a single shot from a .32-20. So there must have been something to the .32 caliber that made it the choice of these lawmen, British gentlemen, and hunters who filled the pot with meat for many years with the guns.

I don't know from experience yet about the .32 but I do know from boyhood experience that certain pellet gun calibers killed more quickly than others. The 5 mm pellet gun would kill quicker and further much more reliably than the other pellet guns of my youth. Thousands of crows, starlings, and raiding Blue Jays met their demise from my 5mm Sheridan Sliver Streak. While the neighbors and friends used .177 and .22 pellet guns they could never equal what I could do.

Local ale farmers paid us boys five cents per bird to keep the populations of these pests down. We made a great deal of spending money wiping out these birds. And being boys we were not allowed to use shotguns alone and so we all got the best pellet guns we could and stalked, chased and pestered these birds all day almost every fall. Collecting our bounty for our work and them racing down to the old country store to spend our cash on sodas and candy.

Those days were a lot of fun.

A Winchester .32 Special was my first deer gun and it seemed to put deer down better than the more common 30-30 that other fellows used. But I too fell victim to the "new" cartridge craze and traded my lever gun for a new bolt action in 7mm Remington. I never killed a single deer any quicker or more cleanly than I had with my lever gun. But I went through several other bolt guns and calibers over the years. None have done the job any better. Although I could shoot a deer farther away than before dawn still expect a good result. But now in my mid life I think that distance and recoil are poor trad offs for stealth and getting closer for the shot. So the bolt guns are all sold and lever guns have returned to my collection. And I enjoy hunting now more than I ever did with a bolt gun.

I let deer and pigs go If I can't get close enough now, and enjoy the challenge of getting close, and hunting is fun again.

Anyway, sorry for the reminiscing, I am currently looking for a lever gun in .32 H&R Magnum which I am going to have rechambered for the .327 Federal. And It's going to get used extensively when done. Hopefully it will prove to be the perfect round for a gentleman so walk through the country.:thumbup1:

The wife used to carry a dic special in 32 S&W (long colt). Makes for a smaller more compact firearm without a lot of bark.

Could not find a ballistic jell video on.327 but it looks to be a bit on the too much side for a personal defense round (one shot and by the time you pull down from over your head....). there will always be those that like hand canons though... I'll admit I have a S&W model 29 with a 4" barrel that will make your wrist sting for a week after shooting it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Dionesius3, I'm there with you. I have two Ruger Blackhawk SA revolvers in .32 H&R mag, one with a .32-20 cylinder and a Marlin 1894 CL lever gun in .32-20. I think a Thompson Center Contender carbine in .32-20 or .327 Federal mag would make the modern day equivalent of the rook rifle. All I need are the barrels.

Not mine, but a good vid showing the difference in recoil between the .32 h&r and .327. With a two mitt grip, the .327 is much more controllable compared to .357 mag from the same weight gun.

http://youtu.be/4UR_7tB8mfc

Some years back, the NRA ("American Rifleman" Magazine) had this to say about the .327 magnum:

"The .327 offers more 'real-world' energy than the .357 Mag., (at least in my test), better penetration and one more shot per gun load. It does all this with substantially less recoil and noticeably less muzzle blast than the .357 Mag."

Oddly enough, I have yet to see .327 ammunition anywhere. Is it that difficult to find??

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
The .327 lcr cost $619. 00 as of October 2015 . Can one be bought somewhere at a cheaper price?

The .327 lcr cost $619. 00 as of October 2015 . Can one be bought somewhere at a cheaper price?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/465/Ruger+LCR+327+FED+1.8+CH+SS

$501 cash price, but they'll probably take lower via the "Make an Offer". I'd offer 450-475 and see if they take it. They basically auto-except offers down to some level. I've purchased many things for $50 or $75 less than the quoted price.

And before someone asks, no this is not an auction. That link is to stocked items that are buy-it-now.

Last edited:
Some years back, the NRA ("American Rifleman" Magazine) had this to say about the .327 magnum:

"The .327 offers more 'real-world' energy than the .357 Mag., (at least in my test), better penetration and one more shot per gun load. It does all this with substantially less recoil and noticeably less muzzle blast than the .357 Mag."

This is my opinion as well. The .327 should have about 3/4 the recoil and about the same muzzle blast albeit it will be pecieved by most as being less. And penetration should be about 15% higher than the .357. In the real world it may differ somewhat from what it should be mathematically. Perceived recoil, felt recoil, and actual recoil can vary wildly. If I blindfold you and tell you I am giving you a.505 Jeffries rifle to fire but instead give you a 12 gage shotgun. 75% of persons would report the felt recoil as being excessive.
Its as much in your mind as it is in the actual recoil.

Gotta say if I were in the market for another handgun I'd look at a .327; either a Ruger SP 101 or S&W 632. I like the fact it can chamber all these different cartridges-

$327Cartridges.jpg

Gotta say if I were in the market for another handgun I'd look at a .327; either a Ruger SP 101 or S&W 632. I like the fact it can chamber all these different cartridges-

View attachment 628558

Some .32 acp works as well. Didn't have 100% ignition with Aquila, but others have said Remington and S&B work in their .327's.

Tempting revolver. Very tempting. More so since I started reloading.

Six rounds of .327 in a revolver the size of a j-frame would come in handy.

Top Bottom