What's new

3 months in - what I have learned

After 3 months into DE shaving, I have learned several things that I decided to post and share in the hope that y'all may learn from my mistakes. :001_tongu

1. Technique, technique, technique - this trumps just about everything else. For the past 3 months, whenever I have had a problem, at least 90% of the time it was technique related and 80% of the time when I was pretty sure it wasn't my technique. There's a poster online with something like this in his signature. I find this to be compete truth.

2. Start out with a good razor/blade/brush/cream and be patient. It's incredibly tempting to play with stuff, and I do it, but I get the best results from paying closer attention to what I am doing with what I have rather than looking for the "next best thing." Having said that, this is also a hobby and collecting new soaps/creams to try, new scents, and trying out new razors is fun. I say this with several soap samplers from Mike's on order, some Dr. Harris and TOBS samplers, and a 2013 Muhle R41 toothcomb. And a Muhle silvertip fiber brush, but I knew that was where I was going to end up after my Ecotools. If you are looking for recommendations, I'd get an Edwin Jagger de89 model/Muhle R89 (same head, different handles - I went with the Muhle and love the handle aesthetics), Astra blades, RazoRock soft soap or Mike's Natural Soaps, an Ecotools kabuki brush (makeup brush that feels really soft) or as others have recommended a Whipped Dog silvertip or an Omega Badger & Blade boar starter brush at Westcoastshaving.com.

3. Watch some videos on lathering, read the lathering sticky, and check out Marco's Method if interested. A good lather makes a big difference, and I am still learning how to do this.

4. Proper blade angle with as little pressure as possible to keep the razor touching your skin. There's a sticky with photos, but another way to do this is to start with the handle parallel to the floor and gradually lower the handle end until you hear it cutting whiskers (turn the fan off). Pressure = razor burn/cuts/nicks/et cetera. Remember that each pass is beard reduction, not elimination.

5. If you get to a problem area, try a different technique NOT more pressure. Approach from a different angle, even angle the blade SLIGHTLY or draw in a SLIGHTLY different angle than straight (look up the Gillette Slide - Mantic has a video). Try facial contortions. Try shaving across the grain instead of with the grain. Under your nose, try GENTLY outside inwards with north to south at the bottom edges; 2nd pass go outside in. MAYBE a teeny bit of no pressure across/against the grain. On your chin, try puffing out lke a bullfrog, or sucking in your upper lip as high as you can get it and then reverse it for another pass. But pressure = problems.

6. Patience. I hate this one, but it's true - with experience it gets easier and faster.

Things that I have learned here that make a difference - going for comfort first then closeness, being patient, lathering methods, razor and blade selection, the modified 4 pass method (I go north to south, ear to chin, and then if I do a 3rd pass nose back to angle of jaw rather than pure WTG/XTG) and the different wonderful creams and soaps and scents.

Things that I plan to try - a bit of preshave oil, a Muhle 2103 R41, Polsilver Iridium and Voshkod blades, and maybe a Cadet open comb. Obviously, I do a terrible job of following my own advice, but as long as it's fun and I get at least a decent shave, it's worth it to me.

One last caveat - I speak as someone with very limited experience and also who dabbles in too many variables (razors, creams, et cetera). Take my advice with a grain of salt. Or a barrelful! :001_tt2:

I got the DE89, and so far I like it.

I am still working on my lather and I got a stopper for the sink. Have to pay attention to the sound of the shave, not the sound of running water. :)

All extremely good advice T.

Im almost exactly into this as long as you...and I'm actually loving the fact that I'm really narrowing down what really works for me. Have about 15 razors.....and find it extremely hard to not use my aristocrat every day. So, most of my super speeds and other tag sale pick ups are being cleaned and readied for friends and some pifs in the near future. Can't say enough about meds, labs and polsilver SI....can't bring myself to load anything else. Have my top 4 soaps/creams, 2 silvertip, 1 best and 1 boar brush I'm breaking in.....check and check! And rounding it off with 7 aftershaves with a nice range of scents with two asbs mixed in.

So now what do I do? Order a strop and some straights of course!

I would add beard mapping as a learning tool....I skipped this step and it hampered both my comfort and results for weeks.

All good points, especially patience!

There is no secret, no highly specialized skill required to shave with a blade. Just work on a comfortable and acceptable shave and be patient.

Great post! As a newbie with less than a month in, what I find the most difficult is to put no pressure. I think from time to time I just forget about it and find myself doing it. I get mild razor burn but nothing too dramatic so far. Anyway, not much else to do than keep practicing and keep learning. At least now that I discovered DE I enjoy shaving and am looking forward to it!

Great post! As a newbie with less than a month in, what I find the most difficult is to put no pressure......

Two suggestions, just in case:

Try holding the razor at the bottom of the handle with just thumb and two fingers. Hold it lightly. On the downward stroke just let the razor sit on your skin by its own weight. On upward or sideways strokes, just touch the razor to your skin, don't press.

If that is hard for you to do or not comfortable, hold the razor handle where it is comfortable but do not grip it. Instead hold it as relaxed and loose as possible. And again, just touch the razor to your skin.

Just touch the razor to your skin.

I end up using 3 fingers at the middle of the handle. The end grip technique really feels uncomfortable and like I have zero control.

I shave ATG only under my nose when I absolutely have to since the feel of the razor "catching" on the hairs feels really unsafe and I'd rather have an almost good shave over a BBS that stings. Besides, I have a quick growth dark and now salt-and-pepper Italian beard, and even on those areas of my cheeks where I get a DFS/virtual BBS my stubble is still visible. Even with nice smooth skin . . . Nuclear weaponry might get rid of that, but it'd also get rid of me. :001_tt2:

I forgot beard mapping - that actually didn't help me with my chin, but it did help under my nose.

I laughed at people who had collections of 5-10+ razors and blades and shaving creams/soaps and racks of brushes . . . until I discovered that I am doing the same thing. :001_tongu There is something about the "thrill of the hunt" as well as trying to find the "perfect" razor/brush/shaving cream/soap/aftershave/et cetera . . . I at least have a favorite brush (Ecotools; wonderfully soft and lathery even if it has the backbone of overcooked spaghetti and doesn't dry) if the Muhle doesn't work out, and I do love the Mike's soaps and RazoRock . . .. croaps? For the Cadet, I'd probably get a Matador variant in blue. Ooo shiny . . . I haven't even started with scents; I'd love a natural/essential oil blend that smelled like Lucky Tiger. Thayer's cucumber is great, but for the smell you simply can't beat the Tiger. Nice and refreshingly orangey . . . hence my RazoRock Moroccan Secret! I do like the creamsicle scent.

I will have lost all semblance of rationality, however, if I order a bottle of the Veg. <shudder>

Last edited:
Well, I have learned a few more things. A good brush can make a good lather much more easily (I'm using a Muhle silvertip fiber version 2.0 with works wonderfully), the razor can make a difference (the 2013 Muhle R41 and the Slant do a much better job on my face than the Muhle R89 or the Merkur 1904 OC, for example. For someone else, it may be the opposite), and again technique is critical. Regardless of the razor, I can't get a good shave over my chin unless I am mindful of technique ("bullfrogging" works pretty well here).

Top Bottom