What's new

3 days growth, and a brand new feather....AHHHHH

HEAVEN!!!

I wasn't able to shave for this past 3 day weekend, until this morning that is. I got home, splashed some hot water on my beard, and felt it immediately just soften right up. For me, a 3 day growth is starting to become a red beard, thick, coppery feeling hairs, super coarse, and multi directional growth, with super sensitive skin. I also got my Marvy shave mug out, soaked my omega boar 20106 monster then filled my mug that was already halfway filled with arko and let it soak for about 30 secs. I dumped the water out, gave the brush a quick shake, the immediately began swirling, and just in 10 seconds time, this amazement that is Arko, EXPLODED into a rich, ready to face lather cream. Needless to say it went straight to my grill, swirling and massaging this massive 3 day growth I had, with my massively soft boar brush, and the arko lather just going everywhere, for about a minute. Setting the brush back into the mug, while I let the whiskers break down, and debated about the current feather blade that was already in the Muhle R41 '10......I think to myself, "self, I know this blade has at least 4 shaves on it, if not 5, why not spoil yourself and dump the blade a few shaves early this time?"......so i did!!!

You ever just make a good decision, and just go D@@@@MMMNN!!!

After switching out blades, I picked up my omega boar out of my mug, turned the hot water on the faucet and ran it just over the tips, and massaged my beard for another 30 secs or so....talk about beating my beard into complete and unquestioned submission!!!! It didn't even feel like I was shaving!!! It litterally felt as if the whiskers were just melting off my face and neck, no pressure,l ong fast strokes with my open comb razor, confident in my lather. I remember using the Mach 3's and barbasol, cussing myself for not shaving sooner, as it would tug, pull, burn, and just plain HURT!!! I've even using feathers for well over 2 years now, and it's nice to get another "uhh Huhh" moment. After shaving, I jjump into a nice hot shower rinsing my face, and once I'm done, I get out and splash on the AV musk, thinking, this might burn too much today . NOPE, not a touc of burn to be found, even the mustache area was good. NO IRRITATION not ANY!!

Long story short, it's nice to smile when your shaving, I bet I looked like the arko guy. Many people don't get to start their days off like this, and I consider myself both lucky, and fortunate to get such happiness out of a day chore. Everybody, have a pleasant day and a pleasant shave!!!!! :)

-Jeff

Last edited:
Did about the same thing today with 4 days' growth (looking pretty scroungy) and a new 7 O'clock Yellow. I was letting a nice thick coating of Dr. Dittmar lather soak in and thought, "this is no time to be leaning on that old Derby that's still in the razor...." so I changed it out. Yes! Victory! A DFS in two passes. Very nice to have the right tool for the job!

My Sunday evening's shave this week included three-day stubble as well. I used a fresh Personna blade, a Gillette New open-comb razor from the 40's and Tabac puck soap. I find it a lot easier to shave three-day stubble with an open-comb than with the traditional safety-bar design present on probably 70 per cent of DE razors. I had minimal irritation and just one small weeper from a pimple I didn't catch before shaving.

Man, nice to hear others having the same good sense to swap out their old blades when needed!!! Especially that Derby, for a 3 Dayer? Yikes

I used a Shark SS on 4 days growth with my Fatboy on five instead of an Astra with two shaves under it's belt, and it absolutely crushed it, two pass with and across the grain, and as smooth as an Astra but seemed much sharper

Was a very enjoyable and surprising shave.

I just shaved today myself after not shaving sunday, so only 2 days growth. However I get a sense of satisfaction when I go for more than 1 day and see the lather almost grey from the stubble I take off. I have been using Feathers for about half the time I've been wet shaving, only 2 months but still they are my current favorite
Franz, I actually tried a Derby for the first time today and I must say that I was impressed by it. With the sub par shaves I had from others I had used I wasn't expecting a lot from what I gathered was a middle of the road budget blade, but to be honest I was impressed. It's not as close as the Feather I'm used to, but it certainly beat out the Blue Birds and Wilkinson Swords I had tried previously.

Top Bottom