What's new

3 - 4 razor must have list!

Hello guys!

Most members here are experienced and value a lot shaving as their hobby. We can make a list that could serve as a guide for the future.

I am trying to make an analogy with cars. We use city cars (small distances), family cars (station wagon) , off-roads(adventure), sportscar (speed).

Taking this car analogy as an example, can we build a list of 3 or 4 must have razors that cover most of a shaving needs?

Criteria could be:
  1. lack of irritation,
  2. aggressiveness,
  3. beginner-friendly,
  4. close-shave,
  5. smoothness,
  6. best all around razor,
  7. other...

Who is up to this challenge? Please add your suggestion, behind the criteria as your personal best razor that covers that specific criteria.

Thanks in advance and happy suggestions!!!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am trying to make an analogy with cars.

This razor has an entirely different feel to it than any other razor I've used, by far. I've said before that I dont shave with my NEW SC, it shaves me. If the NEW SC is a C6 Corvette, this Grande is a Ferrari FXX. Everything it does, it does easier, smoother, quicker, more efficiently, more precisely and much more assertively.

My Fatip Grande does it all and does it easier, more comfortably and more efficiently than any other razors I've used so far.

I get no irritation whatsoever as long as I maintain the correct angle, even starting ATG first pass.

I dont find it aggressive at all, but it is extremely efficient.

Its surprisingly user friendly, provided one knows how to use a DE razor.

It givers me a 12 hour BBS which is close enough for me.

Its the only razor I've used, with the exception of one or two shaves, since I got it in September.

My NEW SC and Gillette Regent with Polsilver blades give me the same 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. My Grande gives me the same BBS shave in less than 1 1/2 passes.

For me its all about efficiency. The less time the razor is on my skin the better.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I think your car analogy is a good one - which is to say that this would be an impossible task totally without consensus. Let's see: Lamborghini, Audi Q5, Tesla Model 3 and Ford F150. Everyone agree?

What you will no doubt get is everyone's current favorite and the other 3 they like quite a bit. That might be an interesting exercise and could easily provide a good (although long, given out usual proclivities on lists) place to look before purchasing another razor.

So for the record: there are no must have razors. But these are razors I like quite a bit:
Wolfman (best overall)
ATT M1 (best mild razor)
ATT S1 (best pretty mild razor that will still give a lot of people a close shave)
Mergress (favorite adjustable)

1. A mild, yet effective razor for those days that you want a quick, safe shave in a hurry - Schick Krona.

2. A more aggressive razor, for use when you've skipped shaving for a few days and you want your first pass to knock your bristles down effectively - Gillette New Short Comb

3. A classic vintage adjustable that is just so pretty. Looks great, and works so well at any setting - Gillette Fatboy.

4. Your day to day driver. A razor that you've used so many times, rarely nick yourself with, and could almost use blindfolded. 2 piece too, so very easy to clean - Merkur 34C.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't think there are "must have" razors. I have four DE razors, three of which give me great results and get overwhelmingly negative reviews online. Because they are unpopular, doesn't mean they aren't great razors. Conversely, I don't believe that a razor's popularity means that it is right for everyone.

My current favourite is an Edwin Jagger. These razors are very popular, but there are people who don't get on with them.

I would suggest that beginner friendly would be a milder razor, and that open comb be avoided if you intend to be partially bearded, as closed combs are safer to line up a bead without taking chunks out. Everything else (and even my two suggestions above) are extremely subjective

This is pretty easy for me. My favorite razors all fall into your criteria

In no particular order:

Gillette Tech
Gillette Fatboy
Schick Type M Injector
Weck Med Prep OC SE

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
1. A mild, yet effective razor for those days that you want a quick, safe shave in a hurry - Schick Krona.

2. A more aggressive razor, for use when you've skipped shaving for a few days and you want your first pass to knock your bristles down effectively - Gillette New Short Comb

3. A classic vintage adjustable that is just so pretty. Looks great, and works so well at any setting - Gillette Fatboy.

4. Your day to day driver. A razor that you've used so many times, rarely nick yourself with, and could almost use blindfolded. 2 piece too, so very easy to clean - Merkur 34C.

My number one and number four would be the same. If I want a quick shave, the daily driver that I can use blindfolded is the one I want.

I do have a more aggressive razor, but don't have a set need for it, I just like to use it occasionally. For removing heavy growth, I'd go with open comb over how far the blade protrudes, as the open comb would be more likely to screw up my goatee if I'm not paying attention.

A pretty vintage? Meh! There's pretty modern razors too, and if I want vintage, I want a SE hollow ground for the true vintage feel of having to maintain it and not just drop in a new blade.

As always, YMMV

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A pretty vintage? Meh!

No one can say these arent nice and/or pretty, razors.

TTO_Collection_bottoms_(bulldogs).jpg

There is no modern equivalent and I dont believe there ever will be.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No one can say these arent nice and/or pretty, razors.

View attachment 850085

There is no modern equivalent and I dont believe there ever will be.

Yeah they do look good. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. I don't feel the same level of attraction to vintage DE that others do. There's no right and wrong, just personal taste

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Instead of specific razors, my thought would be categories:
1. Adjustable
2. Twist to Open
3. Open Comb
4. Single Edge

Actually, that's a very interesting perspective, Robert.

I'm gradually moving towards one home DE, one travel DE, one straight, and one hollow ground SE. Not strictly sticking to that, but as a rough concept that's where I'm heading.

1. Aggressiveness & smoothness with a close shave: Gillette Old Type
  2. Beginner-friendly & smoothness with a close shave: Gillette 1940’s Superspeed
  3. No irritation & smoothness with a close shave: Gillette New Type
  4. Best all around razor: British Gillette Aristocrat Jr.

I use one DE, a Fatboy set on 5, and a straight razor when I have more time on weekends. I figure that is all I need.

Sent via Tapatalk

Impossible to answer other than the dreaded YMMV.

I personally like mild razors that look great and are high quality built. And I have a preference for TTO’s and Solid Bars. Those would be my selection criteria always, for all days.

The following is my current preferred rotation - interspersed one in a while with my other fine razors:

1. 1949 Rocket
2. 1950s Rocket Flare Tip
3. 1940s Eclipse Red Ring
4. 1958 Tech on fat handle
5. 1950s Rocket HD500
6. Slim
7. Feather AS-D2

Taking this car analogy as an example, can we build a list of 3 or 4 must have razors that cover most of a shaving needs?

Criteria could be:
  1. lack of irritation,
  2. aggressiveness,
  3. beginner-friendly,
  4. close-shave,
  5. smoothness,
  6. best all around razor,
  7. other...

Some of these things are not razor dependent, but TECHNIQUE dependent. I doubt there will ever be any consensus list of 3-4 razors.

For example, from the criteria above:

#1 is technique dependent

#2 is a category all on its own that could include several razors known for being aggressive (efficient, not harsh): Muhle R41; Fatip Grande; Slants; Gem Micromatics; Merkur Futur; Above The Tie SE2; etc....

#3 is another category that I assume by "beginner friendly", mildness is meant: Gillette vintages: Techs, Super Speeds, Adjustables; Merkur 34c; Edwin Jagger DE89; Razorock Teck II; Razorock Mamba; Gem Bullet tip SE; Timeless Bronze; etc...

#4 is technique depedent

#5 Smoothness is somewhat technique dependent, but some razors are also known for being smooth: Rockwell 6s or 6c; Razorock Teck II; Fatip Grande; Schone OC; Timeless Bronze, etc....

#6 is way to personal to each individual, but one that would cover mild to efficient through adjustable settings would be Gillette Slim or Rockwell 6s and could popularly be termed "best all around" because of its features

Top Bottom