What's new

2nd day pu-erh?

For the experts out there..... if you start a a new pot late in the day and for some reason you only go through a couple brews is it ok to leave it as it is and next day just pour some hot water and keep brewing the tea from the day before or this is a big NO-NO?

What are the thoughts of the pu-erh connisseurs regarding this ?

Thanks guys.

Far from an expert or conny-sewer, but I've done it several times and enjoyed it. The first infusion is something of a "wake-up" infusion for the tea, but still usually quite tasty.

I've only done this with raw pu'erh (not ripened).

Absolutely, If I only have had a brewing or two in the evening, I will use the same leaves the next morning and still get good flavor development for at least a couple more brews. Many times I get the best flavors out of the fourth or fifth steepings. That is one of the things I love about a good pu-erh...the flavor nuances that are revealed with successive brewings.

One of my favorites is the Tibetan mushroom pu-erh, (available raw or ripe/cooked) that was originally intended for use in Tibetan yak butter tea. It is consistently very good in either form (the raw version much better after about 5 years or so). Comes pressed into a mushroom shaped cake, and manufactured by Xiaguan marked Tibetan Flame. Usually good for at least 7 brewings.

Yixing teapots are really great for holding the leaves. I have left leaves for a few days and they are fine.

Gaiwans aren't as freindly, and if I leave leaves in there more than overnight, I wouldn't use them again.

Thanks guys , i appreciate the input.
By the way..... i have been really enjoying for a few months now Raw pu-erh with very strong flavor profiles like tobacco, leather...... i feel like moving to something more florar and bright.....any suggestions?
be well!

Some folks refrigerate the left over leaves. I don't do that but I have often used my puerh for at least two days and sometimes three days.

Peacock of Menghai has some nice floral aspects. And, I know a vendor that has that tea, haha.

Top Bottom