What's new

24 mm Finest vs 24 mm Silvertip

Any one have any thoughts on the traits of the TGN 24 mm finest extra hair versus the 24mm Silvertip Grade A? I thought I was done with restoring brushes but I found a nice butter bottom Rubberset that calls out for a nice knot. I stuck a lovely 24mm finest in a Sold Set handle and since I finished it, months ago, it is about the only brush I use. That finest is the best all round knot I own. I'll probably stick another one in this new handle, but I was looking on TGN and saw a 24 mm Silvertip Grade A that looked nice. Problem with most Slivertips for me is the lack of spine, but I have a 30mm Silvertip, that Tony apparently doesn't stock any more, that has lots of spine, probably because of the diameter. 30 mm turns out to be too big for me so I'm wondering if the 24mm would be stiff enough to do the trick and just a tad softer than the finest. I have a brush with the fabled and no longer available 24mm UK Silvertip that is just about right, but I don't know if this new Silvertip compares.

Any opinions? I'm a face latherer with soaps 95% of the time.

Finest has a lot more backbone. Tips soften up nicely, but definitely backbone. Silvertip one might call floppy (though I think of it as just pure soft goodness). I have a grade a 26mm silvertip that I have been using for a good week or two straight now cause I love it. It works well on soaps, but the finest with it's backbone might work a little better in terms of loading.

I have a finest and a grade A and like them both. I agree with Angry_Panda on the differences he mentioned. If I could have only one it would be the finest. I love the grade a but it does not have the backbone and I like to have just a little scritch most of the time

There's no bad choice. Just what you're in the mood for. I favor the finest more often than not for the previously stated reasons. I'm glad to have both.

i went with a 20mm silvertip in my 200t.its soft and does fine in my hardest soaps and still has some back bone,hope this helps.

Top Bottom