What's new

230 grain .357 Thunderhead

Placed an order for some .313 bullets. Saw these and figured, why not.....send me 25. Anyone ever loaded any of these up?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
To my inexperienced eye they don't even look like bullets.
First time I'm ever seeing them.

I hope you have a big revolver.

I watched 22plinkster, on YouTube, shoot some monster rounds for a 500 S&W. I think they were around 700 grains. He was having trouble with them tumbling since they were so big. Hopefully you won't have the same problem.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I load up semi-wadcutters for my 1911 and have good luck with them. I assume those are for your six shooter? That's a pretty heavy bullet and a quick research for load data says it's for bowling pin shooting and some special care is needed for reloading to prevent bulging. Looks interesting!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Here is a excerpt, no claim made to the accuracy of it, just for FYI

This bullet was designed specifically for bowling pin shoots. In these types of competitive events in which the objective is to clear a table of bowling pins; weight is more effective than velocity. This bullet is soft cast and is rated for 900 fps. The Thunderhead maximum meplat profile with the softer alloy promotes a better engagement with the hardwood pins (usually maple). The design features dual crimp grooves so that it can be loaded in .38 or .357 cases depending upon your application. Because the body of the bullet is so long it must be sized to .357 or .3575 maximum to insure it does not excessively bulge the brass and thus prevent its chambering. In .357 cases, 9.0 grains of Accurate Arms will get the job done. If using .38 cases try about 7.0 grains to start. DO NOT use +P .38 cases as these are usually thicker and can cause excessive bulging .... This type of shooting sport was pioneered by Richard Davis of Second Chance body armor. This event became a Who's Who of the shooting world and was a very elite event. Bowling pin shoots are not as popular as they once were but still show up from time to time.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nope, never loaded anything heavier than 158 gr. in .38/.357. Those look interesting.

Just fill a .38 case full of Bullseye, then do a compressed powder charge by seating the bullet all the way down to the crimping groove. :lol:

NOT...that will blow up your revolver. Metal pieces everywhere.

I'm sure you know that...I was just kidding.

I remember the old bowling pin shoots but never went to one or loaded for one. Let us know what loads you come up with.

I wonder how those would compare the the old 200 gr. .38 loads at low velocities that were supposed to tumble for a defensive round.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've seen them but never loaded any myself. Certainly a specialty bullet. Let us know what you come up with and how it works out for you.

Penn Bullets makes em too and has some load data published on their site. I have aa9 in my powder stash, might try that first. Really just had them sent to be a conversation piece.

Top Bottom