What's new

2023 Iwasaki Razor.

protractor_1706341422837.jpg
20240127_073037.jpg

My Iwasaki "TS" has a spine thickness of 6.05mm and a blade width of 16,4mm creating a 21,3° bevel.
Measured at 3 different points of the razor all my bevel angles measure around 20°.

View attachment 1786529

I am thinking about modifying my razor to get my desired bevel angle, 20 degrees it too steep for my liking.
Around 18 degrees would be much better personally.

I wouldn't have any problem honing or shaving with a razor with a 20-degree angle, I'm OK with anything from 16 degrees up to 20, I think as long as they stay within those boundaries it's more than acceptable, although I do think that 18 is possible the magic number and something all custom makers should aim for, having checked many razors through the years some custom makers ignore these rules completely, you can't reinvent the wheel after all.

I wouldn't have any problem honing or shaving with a razor with a 20-degree angle, I'm OK with anything from 16 degrees up to 20, I think as long as they stay within those boundaries it's more than acceptable, although I do think that 18 is possible the magic number and something all custom makers should aim for, having checked many razors through the years some custom makers ignore these rules, you can't reinvent the wheel after all.
True,
I’m first going to hone it up and shave test a few times to see how it is, some parts of the razor has a bevel angle of 21 degrees. But I’ve never been a huge fan of these higher bevel angles.
I should also measure the angle of my most favorite shavers and compare these angles.

Most likely even a tad higher, since the spine is softer than the edge.
Also, I implore you to find an unused TS Iwasaki western style razor, lol.
You can't assume since you don't know how the razor was treated. Honed with tape, had a chip removed, breadknifed etc.
Most of the Iwasaki razors I have seen start their life at 13/16 or so, so you have lost around 4mm+.

I am working this weekend but I will try to get you the measurements on a TS Iwasaki once I have some free time next week.

You can't assume since you don't know how the razor was treated. Honed with tape, had a chip removed, breadknifed etc.
Most of the Iwasaki razors I have seen start their life at 13/16 or so, so you have lost around 4mm+.

I am working this weekend but I will try to get you the measurements on a TS Iwasaki once I have some free time next week.
Goddamn, please do.
Now that you mentioned it, a few things look fishy indeed, I never realised.
Where this is a full hollow (or what some might call a half hollow with belly) the hollowness is indeed not half anymore, but the edge seemed to indeed be shortened.
Also the belly is way too close to the edge as compared to what it would be new.
But the spine wear wouldn't be right if the edge was shorted 4mm, that's a lot.
please let me know, I really want to correct my spine accordingly to get the original shaving bevel as intended by Mr.Iwasaki.

Now that I'm looking at the grind, this cannot be how this razor was originally made.

Goddamn, please do.
Now that you mentioned it, a few things look fishy indeed, I never realised.
Where this is a full hollow (or what some might call a half hollow with belly) the hollowness is indeed not half anymore, but the edge seemed to indeed be shortened.
Also the belly is way too close to the edge as compared to what it would be new.
But the spine wear wouldn't be right if the edge was shorted 4mm, that's a lot.
please let me know, I really want to correct my spine accordingly to get the original shaving bevel as intended by Mr.Iwasaki.

Now that I'm looking at the grind, this cannot be how this razor was originally made.
A friend has 3 and he did measure.
21.2mm width.
6.2mm spine width.

A friend has 3 and he did measure.
21.2mm width.
6.2mm spine width.
Many many thanks!
I’m indeed missing a lot of steel on my razor, I will adjust my spine accordingly to accommodate for the correct bevel angle.

He has 3, wow! I’ve never encountered many of these TS razors. The steel hones up extremely well and takes a sick edge, much more refined and polished than most other steel on most razors.
Do we know what TS stands for?
I have been told many things about it by a few people, but I have a hunch of own, but I’m still wondering if there’s any clarity or knowledge about it?

Many many thanks!
I’m indeed missing a lot of steel on my razor, I will adjust my spine accordingly to accommodate for the correct bevel angle.

He has 3, wow! I’ve never encountered many of these TS razors. The steel hones up extremely well and takes a sick edge, much more refined and polished than most other steel on most razors.
Do we know what TS stands for?
I have been told many things about it by a few people, but I have a hunch of own, but I’m still wondering if there’s any clarity or knowledge about it?
You welcome.
No idea what it means. I have read a few things but it was all speculation.

Top Bottom