What's new

2014 Badger & Blade Awards - Shaving Soaps

Nice review. Really affects my soap AD. Want to try, though I fear I'll have to pass on the $120 dish.

Always thought those dishes were wood. still havent tried a C&S soap its just been put on the list through

Glad to see C&S scents getting the love. O&C and 88 are absolute classics and at the same time absolute originals to me. And the beauty of the soap dish makes sense for a firm that also designs some of the best looking plumbing fixtures I have seen. I shutter to think how expensive those are. British flair all around.

Glad to see C&S scents getting the love. O&C and 88 are absolute classics and at the same time absolute originals to me. And the beauty of the soap dish makes sense for a firm that also designs some of the best looking plumbing fixtures I have seen. I shutter to think how expensive those are. British flair all around.

Couldn't agree more!

I got the chance to try 88 recently and it didn't impress me. Not to say it was a bad soap, it performed well. But I tried it back to back with Stirling and Maggard and I ranked it 2nd in performance and scent of those 3. I'll admit, I only lathered it once, so maybe I just didn't dial it in as well to get the most out of it. I'll also admit that I'm not a fan of that type of scent profile. And maybe it's not fair as 88 is a hard soap. Of hard soaps I've tried, however, I would prefer Provence Sante, or Edwin Jagger (Limes and Pom specifically).

A true case of YMMV.

I have wanted to try his soap for a while and I did want that dish but wowzers, thats pricey. Although when I saw the cnc'd bit inside the lid, the. It almost seemed worth it.

Was C&S the one that was the same recipe as Valobra and the old AOS?

I've heard this too!

I've only tried the Valobra hard puck. It is a superb soap, possibley my #1... depending on day of the week, moon phase and what side of the bed I got out of.

Edit: As regards C&S, if I could swing the cash then I would love to get the soap and dish!

Last edited:
Yeah these soaps are produced by Valobra. This is my favorite soap base, the old tallow aos soaps are my favorite. haven't tried any of the recent artisans though

I'm yet another that was underwhelmed by the 88, smelled a little strange to me. Dr Pepper? As scents that I didnt like initially have grown on me in the past, I'll revisit this one.

O&C is nice, the lavender and mint combo are earthy, herbal, slightly sharp, without any sweetness. as joel has mentioned this lavender lasts a lot longer on the skin than others ive tried.

and the anodized aluminum bowls are amazing. there were rumors swirling for a while that they were being discontinued, and you couldn't find them for a while (esp the o&c), but i believe they are widely back in stock.

I am quite delighted at this result. C&S #88 has been at the top performing soap. I love the scent and the fact that it is a hard soap is refreshing in the soft soap laden artisan world that has permeated into the limelight.

Was C&S the one that was the same recipe as Valobra and the old AOS?

Valobra makes them, and I've seen posts here suggesting that AOS had its own formula, which differed from C&S. Truth be told, I've never detected the clay scent in C&S soaps that was so prevalent in the soaps from the old AOS tallow recipe.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Great soap and scent. Got them both, but must say I like the #88 better then O&C.

Top Bottom