What's new

2013 - Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Gentlemanly Insanity

I have been part of B&B and wetshaving for 2 years now and have enough product in my den to last a decade or more. Inspired by the 2012 Shave Purchase Sabbatical thread and all the brave members who signed up, those who fell to temptation and those who bravely survived and resisted temptation, I am going to attempt it in 2013.

The more members who sign up, the better chance we all have to resist and make it the full year. Post here and tell everyone that you can show some gentlemanly restraint in 2013, and see if you can't actually finish some product. List any exceptions you are allowing yourself, but stick to the plan.

If you cave, please report back and let us know what broke you.

My Personal exceptions:
  • Local Antique store finds....There is no way I'm passing up a $20 Toggle or another Red Ring

Group Exceptions:

• B&B branded items (Omega brushes, WCS lather bowls and whatever else might come along)
  • Sue Moore Auction items

Who's In for 2013?

Last edited:
proxy.php

Haha - "I'll commit to not buying anything."

*Proceeds to list a bunch of stuff that doesn't qualify, from brushes to aftershaves, to open-ended "anything goes" items, to "anything I happen to come across that I want"*

Gonna be a long, arduous journey for ya, OP. ;) ;)

In all seriousness though, good luck to ya in the coming year!

that 2nd pic of the brush collection looks like mine (with one or 2 changes), so that doesn't tempt me at all :biggrin1:

Nope, still not tempted, not even a bit. don't care for Simpsons or any of those ivory Rooney's, but nice try.

i have near all the brushes I want, a good supply of blades, ASB's and razors, along with pretty much any soap/cream I have ever wanted...so I'm set and heady to stand firm until the end of the year

but how about we keep the thread on topic and help people who want to participate instead of a clown house thread :001_wub:

Im gonna have to pass. If I commit to not buying anything for 2013 then I will want to buy more stuff even worse. Yea that makes sense :lol:

Ok but one more last one for good measure:

proxy.php

Now see that's not Gentlemanly restraining, that's having too much money and not knowing what to do with it. If anyone has that problem, here at B&B, you can talk to me, I can help you out with such a problem. :lol:

I am in.

My personal exceptions are:
- regular purchases of witch hazel, both natural and Thayers. I use this every day and I will need more.
- a Merkur Futur razor with satin finish simply because I want one and I will eventually buy it.
- razor blades. I am still working my way through a sampler pack but this will eventually finish and I will need to commit to one brand of blade and order a hundred or more (need to get the best price possible per blade).

Cheers

I will commit to 2013 with 2 exceptions:
First, replacing supplies when they are depleted. I have been reducing my den size and diversity, so I will definitely run out of soap and aftershave and will replace them with the same item. Not sure on blades, but the same caveat applies.
Second, I am restoring 2 brushes for my sons, and will be purchasing knots for the 2 handles when the handles are complete.

BTW, does getting my vintage razor replated to stop future corrosion count? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but am giving it consideration. I guess I can send it off before 2013 if it does.

I'm in, Bruce! My only exceptions are WH, Red IP's if I run out of my stock before years end and god forbid if a '84 Gillette actually becomes available for sale. Looking forward to sinking more money into the Nib and Brown Leaf! :lol:

We can do this!!!!

I’m in for 2013.

I caught all the AD’s pretty bad this year so I’m going to try and limit my exceptions to the kind of items which you buy when you get the chance because you might not get another one – namely rare razors, and particularly any British made Gillette’s. But I’ve picked up a few razors – both modern and vintage – over the last couple of months or so and, as sit here and type right now, I feel my RAD is satiated and I hope I’ll be able to make it through 2013 without needing to make this exception to the sabbatical.

Like Bruce, I don’t really consider fragrances to be shaving items, but I got a little carried away with those this year too so, although they are exempt from the sabbatical, I will still attempt to keep a limit on any new fragrance purchases throughout 2013!

I easily have enough soaps, creams, blades and aftershaves to last throughout 2013 so I can have no excuse to add any more of those.

Brushes… I think I have enough brushes… I think I do… but if I fail the sabbatical I suspect it will be the temptation of a new brush which proves to be my downfall… but I think I have enough brushes, so…

:huh:

Top Bottom