What's new

2004 Guoyan - Yunnan Minorities pu-erh teas

Does anyone have any experience with these teas? The descriptions of the four teas sounds interesting but don't think that I have ever seen them written up. Scott lists them here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Guoyan-Yun..._0?hash=item350004531412&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14

I was reading a bit about the factory and found it interesting that many of the heads of newer factories seem to have gotten their start in the Menhai factory. In reading about the 2006 Guoyan 98 Special, I note that the leaves actually come from crops from 1998 to 2004 but were compressed in 2006. Is this a standard practice in blended teas?

2006 * Guoyan * 98 Special Grade Raw Pu-erh tea cake
357 gram cake

This tea cake is composed entirely of aged raw material but taken from the years of 1998 through 2004. The cake was compressed in 2006 and enjoys a unique flavor. The combination of aged and not-so aged raw Pu-erh yields an light orange liquor color with good clarity. The flavor of this tea in the first few infusions is a little odd as the different teas from different years take turns dominating my taste buds. The later infusions are really enjoyable as the tea mellows slighty but still easily gives another 10 infusions.
The Mengyang Guoyan tea factory is based in Jinghong but takes most of its raw material from Xi Shuang Banna and more specifically from Menghai area. The director of the factory Ms. Dong is steeped in Pu-erh tea history. She is a Dali native but after graduating from the Yunnan Agricultural University went to work at the Menghai Tea factory as a master tea blender. She worked there for more than 8 years before starting the Mengyang Guoyan tea factory back in 2003. Ms. Dong's aim is to produce a variety of medium to very high quality pu-erhs for drinking and works hard to control the distribution of Guoyan products so that they won't be victimized by speculators!

Producer: Meng Yang Guo Yan Tea Factory
Vintage: 1998 to 2004, compressed in 2006
Production area: Menghai​

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
I tried these in Beijing a few years back and haven't seen them since - nice find! I thought that they were mediocre when I tried them, but they were under highly substandard brewing conditions (bad water, bad brewing). I'd love it if they turned out to be good ones!

Sadly, pretty much the only nice Mengyang Guoyan cake I've had was one that they didn't actually sell - the 2005 Laobanzhang. The rest seem a bit too average.

Menghai certainly turns out the founders of other factories, 'tis true! They have a lot of staff, so there are plenty of opportunities for disgruntled/ambitious employees to strike out on their own.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I haven't yet tasted them. They are a bit more humid stored than the other cakes. So my hopes are up with these cakes. As Hobbes mentioned, Mengyang cakes are too gentle for my taste.

The reviews of these teas generally say they are okay. The leaves are not of good quality but some reviewers like the traditional taste whatever that means.

I will update when I get around to these teas. I seem to have very little time for tea...

The cakes certainly look good, and my only experience with Mengyang Guoyan that was great was with their 05 Banzhang and 04 20th anniversary peacock cake; http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Guoyan-20t..._0?hash=item350075165259&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14. The 04 20th anniversary cake looks similar to these teas, and was pretty good if I recall. Lot's of camphor. This set looks really good, and if other 05/04 Guoyan productions are any indication, it's a safe bet. However, everything 06 and on from Guoyan has just been okay at best in my experience.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I know that HopGoblin (aka Ancient Tea Horse Road) is a big fanboy of Mengyang Guoyan. I tried a few and was never disappointed, but never thrilled. They were nicely made cakes comprised of good leaf, but nothing extraordinary.

I don't think you'll get ripped off with any of them, but although you can certainly do worse, you can probably do better. Their LBZ is one of the most attractively priced examples of that tea, and I'mtching to get some.

Now that is teaware.

<Glassware in excelsis>
proxy.php

Hmm, no linkage to your photos are coming out!

All,
Thanks for the great feedback.
Woogie, thanks for taking time to research your previous notes. Very helpful!

Top Bottom