What's new

2½ weeks to BBS

I've recently transitioned from my trusty Mühle R41 to straights. Today was the first achievement of BBS to rival what R41 delivers, with no blood. Plus, I went from using dominant hand only (with R41) to the ambidextrous approach most folks advise.
I had doubted whether it was really worth the bother on those days of strife along the way.
I'm now sold. Muscle memory is an amazing thing, even for a 58-year-old.

Congratulations! By using a Muhle R41, you have learned the importance of proper technique: proper shave angle and minimal preessure. Thus, your journey into straight razors was far quicker than a cartridge razor shaver trying to learn straight razors.

I went the other way. I never tried a R41 until after I had learned to shave with a straight. Using what I had learned from about straight razor technique, I never had an issue with the R41; I just do not use it with a Feather blade. I routinely use both straights and DE razors, first two passes with a straight, clean up passes with a DE.

Some day, I might take one of my least favorite DE razors, grind off the guard and try using it as a devette. That way, you can get a straight razor shave from a DE razor.

I made the exact same journey from using the R41 every day 3.5 passes to now using the straight every day 3.5 passes. I’ve just got past the 100 shave mark with the straight.
Well done on your bbs!

Top Bottom