What's new

2 Weeks- 1 jar of shaving cream half gone, OK?

I bought a 5.3 ounce jar of Taylor of Old Bond Street Lavender Shaving Cream about 2 weeks ago. I've shaved about 10 times with a straight razor. I've got a nice brush I soak in hot water, shake until not dripping, then swirl directly into the shaving cream jar. I swirl it around a couple of times until I've worked up a little foam, then apply.

I always have a lot of cream left on my brush when I'm done lathering my face. It takes a bit to clean off my brush.

My question is that I've already used about half the jar of shaving cream. Am I using too much cream, or is this a 'normal' amount of use? Should I be applying the cream to my brush directly out of the shaving cream jar or should I be using a mug?

Thanks!

I used to have the same problem when I first started. Now i have an old teaspoon that i dip into the tub of cream.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I think you are definitely using too much. How much lather is left over after you are done? I have samples that last longer than that. :smile: At that rate you could use a whole tub of JM Frasers in about, well... er, 6-7 months. :biggrin:

I think you are definitely using too much. How much lather is left over after you are done? I have samples that last longer than that. :smile: At that rate you could use a whole tub of JM Frasers in about, well... er, 6-7 months. :biggrin:

I swirl my brush around until there is a definite lather, but not too much. There is virtually no lather left over. The cream on my brush had a consistency of maybe, toothpaste. It is much thicker than shampoo. It feels like I've got cold cream on my face when I shave.

Maybe I'm pushing down too hard when I swirl? I kind of thought I could use the jar to lather up my brush, that I didn't need to buy a cup.

While you might try lathering on your face, finding a mug or small bowl will make it easier to start with and learn the proportions. If you're trying to lather in the cream tub you're certainly going to be using far too much cream and not nearly enough water. That bit of that's left on your brush at the end is probably dense enough to lather you up for a week!

I generally get a dab (tip of index finger) worth of cream and spread a bit over different areas of my face. I try to place the cream in areas where there is more beard growth, so that as I build the lather up each area is covered and there is the same amount of lather on the skin and a good amount for 3-4 passes left in the brush.

A tub lasts me at least a few months, but generally with my cream/soap rotations can last over a year using a specific tub 2 or three times a week. I also shave my head, so I use a bit more than most people probably.

I guess my learning curve includes buying another tub of cream. Not so bad. Thanks all for helping a newbie...

Take care guys-

Reggie

+1000 on the using a small spoon or your finger to get about an almond-sized amount of cream (actually with taylor's I think a pea size is more than enough for 3+ passes...but YMMV). FWIW, I have a small spoon (about the size they use for ice cream samples at the 31 flavors-style ice cream shops) and I reuse it for all my tubs of cream.

Yeah, along with using the razor itself, lathering takes some learning too! As I've found out :)

Anyway, I fill an old soup mug with very warm water, and let my brush soak for a bit. After emptying the mug, I shake the brush lightly -- really more of a flick -- to remove excess water. Then using my forefinger, I scoop a tiny amount from the TOBS jar and put it into the soup bowl, wiping any excess from my finger onto the brush. Finally, I swirl and pump the brush, generating a nice lather, then add a couple/few of drops of water and swirl to build the lather further.

When I started a few weeks ago, I couldn't believe I'd be able to generate that much lather from *that* small an amount of cream -- then I remembered I had to unlearn a lot of my habits. My brush is a Men-Ü starter, and I've been getting good lathers from it.

Don't ry to build the lather in the tub, you'll use up way too much cream. With soaps you can do this as they are much harder and won't dissolve so fast, but with creams, just swirl the bristles a bit on the surface of the cream, then proceed to lather on your face. The lather should certainly not be as thick as toothpaste.

I use about an almond size of Trumper but only a pea-ish of C&E. Depends on the cream, but you're definatly in the heavy side. Don't feel bad- we all do it. Went through most of a tube of Palmolive in that time frame myself.

Top Bottom