What's new

1st strop - Filly

Hi,

I am a graduate student and travel frequently, moving every couple months or so! I just ordered my first straight from Larry @ whipped dog and am looking for a strop. Any opinions on the Filly strop from RupRazor? Also, how often do most people use the side with 0.5 paste to refresh the razor, about how many passes are done on this side, and how many times can you do this before you need to apply more paste? Just looking for ballpark figures...

Ball Park:

Nice strop.

You will likely chew up the strop pretty badly long before the pasted side needs to be renewed.

I use a pasted strop maybe once a week. Less than 10 round trip laps. I don't know from personal experience if that is really needed or not as I have not personally tried to experiment both with and without occasional use of pasted strop. I just do it based on the general advice I get from reading forums like this.

I have a Filly. Ken ships a little paper with the strop, in which he recommends how often to use the rough side with the green paste. If I remember right, he says to give the razor about five strokes on the rough side before stropping using the smooth side. I also think that is a once-every-few-shaves frequency. In other words, I don't exactly remember, but that is close. He does say not to use lots of strokes on the pasted side.

I do not think you will have to refresh the green paste while you own the strop. Trust me on this one. After you buy one, I think you will agree.

It's a good starter strop, in fact I prefer it to my vintage Illinois horsehide which gets no use anymore. When your shave quality starts to slip a little, just do 5-10 passes max on the green side. Every razor is a bit different but if you do more than 10 you'll probably start rounding off your edge too much.

I ordered the RupRazor the other day and have used it for a few days. It is a very nice entry level strop. In fact, I believe it will do as well as fancier more expensive strops. I have no problem recommending you purchase the RupRazor strop.

As for chromium oxide use, the frequency of use depends on too many factors to really give you a good guess. Whisker toughness, shave frequency, blade characteristics, technique while shaving all are factors. I would recommend shaving without use of the chromium oxide side until the blade starts to pull just a little. Then use the chromium oxide.

You have to experiment a little as above. After that, after you have some idea how often is needed, you can do it on a schedule.

Thanks for the advice! That makes sense that it will be quite different for each razor. I am hoping to be able to keep a sharp edge using the paste so that I won't need to send the razor to be honed for a few months....

Really like the filly - has been a great first strop! One quick question about it (sorry for butting into the thread) is that the Crox side is quite rough - can't this damage the edge when stroping? I've just sanded out all of the nicks on the main untreated side, and it sems a bit strange to be using the untreated side which is quite rough...

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

When using the CrOx side, use *very* light pressure on it. Ballpark, you will likely only need 5 laps, and no more than 10 laps, to refresh. It has also been suggested to lay the strop on a flat surface to use the Crox side - this will help negate the rounding effect caused by any give in the strop.

I just got this strop a couple of days ago as my first strop. I'm pretty excited as I'm really enjoying str8 shaving and want to get better a it. As for the strop.... it seems good enough (what the heck do I know?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom