What's new

1st Straight Shave

After much waiting and worrying(see my post on missing package?!?) I finally received my first Straight and Strop yesterday.
I dove straight in and while my first shave was far from DFS I am still pleased with my first pass at using a straight.
I got a nice shave on my cheeks and even on the sides of my neck. I actually found switching hands and using my left(non dominate hand) a lot easier than trying to reach across my face and found that finding the angle on my neck was easier with my left hand than my right(dominate hand).
The two areas that I did have problems with were my chin and around the middle of my neck. I couldn't find a comfortable angle and while I had no nicks I left a good bit of stubble.
For right now I am just doing a single WTG pass with my straight and touching up with my DE until I get more comfortable with the straight.
The other thing I know I am going to need to practice with is my strop. Just remembering to take it slow and making sure that I keep the razor flat and since it is a 2" strop making sure I continue through out with the X pattern is going to take some time.
Thanks to everyone that answered all my questions and I have already found myself looking at what my next straight is going to be.

Hi, welcome to the straight world.
Switching hands can be very useful, but some folks use the dominant hand throughout the shave.
Your problem spots are perfectly normal. The chin and neck are the last areas to master. Be patient, you'll get there.

After much waiting and worrying(see my post on missing package?!?) I finally received my first Straight and Strop yesterday.
I dove straight in and while my first shave was far from DFS I am still pleased with my first pass at using a straight.
I got a nice shave on my cheeks and even on the sides of my neck. I actually found switching hands and using my left(non dominate hand) a lot easier than trying to reach across my face and found that finding the angle on my neck was easier with my left hand than my right(dominate hand).
The two areas that I did have problems with were my chin and around the middle of my neck. I couldn't find a comfortable angle and while I had no nicks I left a good bit of stubble.
For right now I am just doing a single WTG pass with my straight and touching up with my DE until I get more comfortable with the straight.
The other thing I know I am going to need to practice with is my strop. Just remembering to take it slow and making sure that I keep the razor flat and since it is a 2" strop making sure I continue through out with the X pattern is going to take some time.
Thanks to everyone that answered all my questions and I have already found myself looking at what my next straight is going to be.

Congrats! I've got # 3 coming either today or tomorrow when I get the time. Can't wait cause I just got in my vintage blades 3in Latigo strop (which helps avoid the X pattern...something I apparently wasnt good at on my practice strop!)

Congrats again and good luck avoiding the ADs that accompany str8 shaving!

Congratulations.

If you've read some of the first shave threads, you'll have noticed that the neck and chin areas, as Leon say, is a known spot for problems.

Just keep at it and it will fall into place eventually.
And for what it is worth, I shave with my dominant hand only and don't have any problems doing that.

Congrats!

Do get that stropping technique mastered. Maybe the most important skill to learn. I think it is a satisfying activity as well.

Thanks everyone for the responses, information, and encouragement.

2nd shave

Had my second shave this morning and it went a little better than the 1st. I got in too a little bit of a groove and was able to complete the right side of my face with my dominate hand(right) pretty easily and I would consider it a DFS.
I am still trying to learn with both hands and couldn't find the same groove with my left hand(non dominant), but I still got a nice shave.
The only problems I ran into on this shave was I got a small nick under my nose and while my chin is a little better today it still needs a lot of work.
The other thing is that I am still really really slow when it comes to my strop. Does anyone know a good way to practice? Could I use a butter knife to try and just get the motion down?

Thanks again everyone. I am traveling(flying) some this week, so I won't get to use my straight but on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks everyone for the responses, information, and encouragement.

2nd shave

Had my second shave this morning and it went a little better than the 1st. I got in too a little bit of a groove and was able to complete the right side of my face with my dominate hand(right) pretty easily and I would consider it a DFS.
I am still trying to learn with both hands and couldn't find the same groove with my left hand(non dominant), but I still got a nice shave.
The only problems I ran into on this shave was I got a small nick under my nose and while my chin is a little better today it still needs a lot of work.
The other thing is that I am still really really slow when it comes to my strop. Does anyone know a good way to practice? Could I use a butter knife to try and just get the motion down?

Thanks again everyone. I am traveling(flying) some this week, so I won't get to use my straight but on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week.

Using both hands is not easy at first, it feels very un-natural... It will be better.

As a way to pratice... Mmm, other than shaving with the straight, I would think using the spine might be closer than a butter knife...

I have been traveling all week, so my Straight has had to sit the last few shaves out.

3rd Shave

This one went really well for not picking up the Razor for 3 days. My stropping technique is improving and speeding up a little.
Shaving with my right hand(dominate hand) is going really well and I can get a nice shave with one pass, but my left hand is still a little shaky, but coming along nicely.
I did 2 full WTG passes and some touch up around the chin and am very pleased with the shave.

The one thing I really need to work on is under my nose. It is hard to get right up against my nose and I am still having to reach for the DE for clean up.

I am in town now for 5 straight days, so these will all be dedicated to my straight.

P.S. I have already started looking for a 2nd straight and a yellow Coticule :001_wub:

I haven't been traveling for the last week, so I have had a chance to shave with my Dovo every day. Alot of progress, but still need some work on my technique.

Ups:
1. With my right hand(dominate) I can get a DFS on the right side of my face including my neck.
2. My stropping technique has come a long way in both performance and speed and I have seemed to find a nice routine. 30 laps on the cotton, 60 on the leather side. After my shave I do 10 laps on the cotton and 20 on the leather side.
3. My left hand(non dominate) side is coming along nicely, still a lot harder than the right, but I am getting closer to a DFS all over.

Downs:
1. Still having trouble around the chin. Can't really get a good close shave right around the point of my chin.
2. I nicked the underside of my nose pretty good.
3. I nicked my strop twice, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement and I am affraid SRAD is about to get the better of me.

Congratulations!

Keep it up. It gets easier.

I started out with a DE and eventually took the STR8 plunge.

For the chin, try holding the razor still and physically moving your head up rather than dragging the razor down with your hand/wrist/arm.

I've found that to be the best method of getting a BBS pass WTG and ATG with a straight.

With the underside of the nose, I use the heel of the razor to shave the nostril and septum areas. No nicks and no stubble detected later when I'm faceturbating at work. :001_tongu

BTW, my barber, who shaves me every so often (the hot towel/face massage combo rules!) and has been cutting hair and shaving clients longer than I've been alive thinks is magic that I can shave ambidextrously. He can only use his right hand. Keep practicing. :thumbup1:

Congratulations!

Keep it up. It gets easier.

I started out with a DE and eventually took the STR8 plunge.

For the chin, try holding the razor still and physically moving your head up rather than dragging the razor down with your hand/wrist/arm.

I've found that to be the best method of getting a BBS pass WTG and ATG with a straight.

With the underside of the nose, I use the heel of the razor to shave the nostril and septum areas. No nicks and no stubble detected later when I'm faceturbating at work. :001_tongu

BTW, my barber, who shaves me every so often (the hot towel/face massage combo rules!) and has been cutting hair and shaving clients longer than I've been alive thinks is magic that I can shave ambidextrously. He can only use his right hand. Keep practicing. :thumbup1:

WB thanks for the advice about shaving around the chin. I tired it this morning and it worked great.

Actually got pretty close to a DFS all over on this mornings shave!

Top Bottom