What's new

1st shave completed

All of my supplies arrived yesterday. Just in time since I usually shave every 2-3 days and today was a shave day.

I purchased a Edwin Jagger de89 from soap.com using the coupon code found in the deals section of the forum. Best price I could find w/ free shipping. Then Omega 10067 brush and this sample pack of blades (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OL72B8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00) of Amazon. Looked like a variety...hopefully I was right. Either way I put my amazon gift card to good use. My wife was kind enough pick me up some C.O. Bigalow cream from bath and body works the other day. When i say pick me up some, she came home with 6 large tubes since they had their buy 2 get 1 free promotion and she had a $10 of $30 coupon. Hopefully I like the stuff. To top things off I have christened my University of Utah 2008 undefeated mug for use in my shaving routine.

Alright on to the shave. This was my first time using a safety razor. I will admit, I was a little intimidated as first but that past quickly. I filled my mug up with some warm water and let my brush soak while I showered. Hopped out, worked a lather and applied to my face. Grabbed my razor (started with one of the derby blades that came with the razor) and started wtg, relathered and did atg. It was enjoyable. It was nice to actually have to put effort into shaving in the morning instead of just slopping some foam on my face and hacking away with a mach 3. I will miss shaving in less than 3 minutes but I know my face will enjoy the attention.

Looking back there were a few areas that I need to work on.
1. add a bit more water to lather. It was a little too thick.
2. less (no) pressure. My upper lip is super smooth but my neck line is a different story. I struggled keeping a good angle on my lower neck. I ended up with some weepers on each side. :thumbdown
3. work on chin area. Again bad angle, so it's still a little rough feeling.
4. need to buy a styptic pencil
5. need to buy more balm. I didnt realize the stuff I had was gone.

Overall it was a pleasant experience :thumbup: and hopefully I can built up my skills fairly quickly. The areas that had proper angle and no pressure are definitely smooth but the other areas are a little irritated. Time to look over this forum some more and watch some videos.

Welcome and congrats on your first shave. I too started with an Edwin Jagger and Derby blades. I think you will eventually want to get away from the Derby's, but keep at it and don't change too many variables at once.

Welcome to the forum. You might want to throw in an XTG pass. What you might find is that because the whiskers grow in all sorts of directions on the neck, you'll be able to catch more. Also, it's just easier on your face to do some extra beard reduction. It would also help to map your beard growth, especially on the neck where the growth is sporadic. Keep it up and enjoy!

Top Bottom